Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 11:06 PM   #31
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

because i drive my car?

tell me, why do they buy the older GT's? because the paint looks pretty? because they want to get the right part numbers on thier carburettors? because dammit, that GT has black trim where it should have chrome?

no, its either an "investment", or they're remembering back to the days when the cars were THE performance machine of choice for blue oval freaks, back to thier younger, less responsible days and the fun they had driving the cars they now pamper beyond belief.

in doing so, they are depriving someone else of the enjoyment of getting out and DRIVING these rare cars as they are intended

anyone remember only a few years ago when virtually all GT clubs refused to recognise the South African Fairmont GT's as "real" GT's?
Old 02-05-2010, 11:13 PM   #32
satria
FOXWHO

Jesus christ dude leave the poor woman alone. It's her car and she does what she wants!

FYI, I have an XW GT Replica and it has MANY minute non-period features in and underneath it. You think i give a rats a$$? To me it's a full fledged GT and i don't care what anyone thinks. I am the type of person who likes driving my car but i much prefer to just have it in the garage and clean it as much as i can. I find cleaning my XW relaxing, a day in the garage to myself and just cleaning the XW makes me forget about alot of the stresses of life. Maybe just maybe this lady at the car show feels the same?

Oh and if i saw you at a ford show with a holden shirt i wouldn't say anything to you but i would think you are a to$$er lol
Old 02-05-2010, 11:19 PM   #33
bernadette86
soon to be low

There needs to be a daily driven trophy at show's. I agree some people do pamper and concorde clean they're car but thats their decision but thats where I think someone who daily drives their machine has a better car you can enjoy it more feel the passion, the love and sure excitement of a well looked after driven car. It all comes down to different strokes for different folks.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:19 PM   #34
XAGSV8
Member 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||
elitists are the worst. i mean i went to a wedding in oil stained tracksuit pants & my good double plugger thongs and they wouldnt even let me in. i pointed out to the groom that his socks really didnt match his belt colour & he got all huffy at me.
Ha Ha, Top Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernadette86
There needs to be a daily driven trophy at show's. I agree some people do pamper and concorde clean they're car but thats their decision but thats where I think someone who daily drives their machine has a better car you can enjoy it more feel the passion, the love and sure excitement of a well looked after driven car. It all comes down to different strokes for different folks.
I do agree there needs to be a daily driven trophy. I disagree with daily drivers feeling the passion and enjoying it more. The less I drive my car the more I enjoy it as it is like a special treat when I do.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:22 PM   #35
satria
FOXWHO

[QUOTE=Interceptor]because i drive my car?

in doing so, they are depriving someone else of the enjoyment of getting out and DRIVING these rare cars as they are intended
[QUOTE]

I totally disagree. By me keeping my XW garaged most of the time and treating it like it's more than just 4 wheels and an engine i may be depriving you of driving it (like i care), but my family gains from it because it shows how much respect i have for things i earned myself, and they admire that passion in me. I hope that my baby on the way will learn a few lessons like respect/hard work and being grateful for what you have one day when he or she grows up.

Get it into your thick head that cars may serve a bigger purpose in some peoples life than just a mode of transport.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:23 PM   #36
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Lets see if I have this right...

You attend a car show and put a poem up that you KNOW is going to encourage comments both positive and negative. Then you did what people were doing to you and made a negative comment to the lady with the XW about her car?

You also wear a Holden Shirt to a Ford Show and wonder why people are commenting on it??

I dont really see the point of this thread other than you have no idea what going to a car show is about. I generally tend to go to Car shows for THE CARS! no matter what condition that are in!
Old 02-05-2010, 11:24 PM   #37
BJ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor

Exactly why I didn't really want to turn up, but, in the history of the show, I've been the ONLY XR8 Sprint to attend, not just attend every show, but to attend at all.....

So going by this you expected to win some thing by being the only one there did you. Which in turn make you as bad as them.

And i have a set of headlight cover's for a ED XR8 sprint too. Must put them on e-bay.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:33 PM   #38
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Attended a car show today, not a competitive one, but still a decent sized show for up here.
Not sure where you're from, but was it the Classic Car Show in Toowoomba today you went to? I got the pleasure of coming home to a heap of them leaving, so sat outside and watched them drive past. Some beautiful cars there. Very proud owners too.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:36 PM   #39
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
Lets see if I have this right...
You attend a car show and put a poem up that you KNOW is going to encourage comments both positive and negative. Then you did what people were doing to you and made a negative comment to the lady with the XW about her car?
It would appear that its quite fine for the elite to comment, but god help me if i do it
Quote:
You also wear a Holden Shirt to a Ford Show and wonder why people are commenting on it??
nope, i knew what i was in for, the bit i couldnt really comprehend is the people who were SERIOUS with thier objections..... whatever happened for an appreciation of all cars regardless of the badge?
Quote:
I dont really see the point of this thread other than you have no idea what going to a car show is about. I generally tend to go to Car shows for THE CARS! no matter what condition that are in!
Maybe you should explain that to the rivet counters and paint finish freaks out there then..... I turned up to see the rare cars that had attended, things like an FBT, EL SVO, RS3100 Capri, XD Phase 5, Ranchero, RPO 83, etc

as for the oil filter, as i've said before, my comment was aimed squarely at that with the effort and expense displayed with the rest of the car, which i will quite happily admit admired (the effort and end result, that is) its a shame they didnt go for soemthing like these:
https://wic204dp.server-secure.com/v...F2b9LOjt8PriiJ

https://wic204dp.server-secure.com/v...F2b9LOjt8PriiJ

Last edited by Interceptor; 02-05-2010 at 11:43 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:40 PM   #40
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ
So going by this you expected to win some thing by being the only one there did you. Which in turn make you as bad as them.
nope, simply that the intent of the day was to showcase the rare Fords, so i provided a sprint

there was no official judging, so there was no expectation to win anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ
And i have a set of headlight cover's for a ED XR8 sprint too. Must put them on e-bay.
ED XR's are the same for XR6/XR8/Sprint, if you have a correct set (with or without the metal clips) and you wish to list them on EBAY, please PM me when you do
Old 02-05-2010, 11:45 PM   #41
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Quote:

Maybe you should explain that to the rivet counters and paint finish freaks out there then..... I turned up to see the rare cars that had attended, things like an FBT, EL SVO, RS3100 Capri, XD Phase 5, Ranchero, RPO 83, etc
And I am sure most of them were well cared, well looked after cars. Sure there are people out there that take it to the extreme and thank goodness they do. The way I see it, with them maintaining their cars that well, they will be around in years to come for my grandkids to look at if they are lucky.

At the end of the day, it doesn't or shouldn't matter what someone thinks or your car...It is what YOU think of it that counts.

Each to their own
Old 03-05-2010, 12:07 AM   #42
xbxd351

I totally agree with Interceptor. I hate the old farts who stash these classic cars away and only tow them around to car shows on a trailer. I drive my XB everyday and it turns heads wherever I go. The thing I really love about it is how many people are coming up to me and saying how good it is to see someone actually driving one of these old muscle cars around because they never get to see them anymore. So to anyone who has a GT HO or a coupe or whatever hidden away in their garage I say get the ********en thing out on the street and drive it! That thats what there built for!
Old 03-05-2010, 12:16 AM   #43
VioletGT
Slow Sunday driver

I just wasted 10 min of my life reading this garbage. Funny that you find a lady to pick on? You rub up a male owner and he would bend you over backwards and i know i would not have a bar of that rubbish talk.

Just because you drive your car everyday is no excuse for a "cracked" headlight and a "missing" rear spoiler"... Fix it soon buddy I'm sure rego's due soon.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:30 AM   #44
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VioletGT
I just wasted 10 min of my life reading this garbage. Funny that you find a lady to pick on? You rub up a male owner and he would bend you over backwards and i know i would not have a bar of that rubbish talk.

Just because you drive your car everyday is no excuse for a "cracked" headlight and a "missing" rear spoiler"... Fix it soon buddy I'm sure rego's due soon.
headlights are fine, got spares for both high and low beam, its the headlight protector thats cracked

the rear spoiler...... not a RWC issue, the holes are plugged, and I've been trying to get my mitts on a SVO ducktail spoiler for the last 2 years since i took the original off

as for me "finding" a lady to pick on, i was neither picking on her nor was it because she was female, if it had been her husband, i wouldve asked him about it
Old 03-05-2010, 12:36 AM   #45
BHDOGS
Banned

Im with you interceptor cars are built to be driven and these fools who pay huge amounts to have a car sit in there sheds are idiots.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:38 AM   #46
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Daily driven vehicles that are taken to car shows should also be presented in a cared for, even loved dearly way, well in my opinion anyways. I turned up only once to a show with my car looking rather ordinary (dirty) and one of the boys in the club was so shocked he cleaned it for me as he understood what I had gone through in those couple of weeks leading to that particular turn out.

A car show is many things to a vast variety of people. I could sit here and say what it means for myself or other clubbies to go to but I don't think you are getting the point.

I love my car a lot, I drive her everyday and yes I even get bent out of shape big time when some useless tool decides to sit on, lean on, open their door up against her... she is my baby but she is not a car worth a lot of dollars. Does it need to be???

I actually don't blame her for getting a little irritated with you, an oil filter is NOT the be all and end all of the presentation of the vehicle. Did you think maybe they preferred the one that they had on their car??

Go to the shows for your OWN enjoyment, not to upset others. Try to be respectful of why people are there.. Doesn't matter if it is an 'old', 'rare' car or a brand new one, enthusiasts love that particular car no matter what it means to YOU. I know people that have got ordinary cars that take care of them probably in the same way as those with garaged prides n joys.. Oh there is that word I was looking for.... 'pride n joy'. Pride n joy also means presenting your car in a cared for manner, not just boasting that you drive it every day
Old 03-05-2010, 12:40 AM   #47
StrokedXT
Banned

Weird, i actually go to car shows to see and admire the elite cars, the restos and the cars that are something special.

I can see hotted up daily drivers on the roads each day so id rather not see them at car shows. But thats just me so i dont make threads bagging guys with dailys entered.

Many times ive gone to car shows and thought to myself my cars much better than that but its my choice not to enter my cars because they arent up to my standard, and i certainly wont go and tell the person whos put all there effort and pride into a vehicle that it doesnt measure up to my standards, as its their standards that matters in the end.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:42 AM   #48
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

and to think i didnt even start on the BA-FG's.......
Old 03-05-2010, 12:55 AM   #49
ams77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just put in my 2 bobs worth and then deleted everything becaus I just realised that you don't get it regardless of what anyone says. Sounds like you won't admit it but you are jealous in a very negative way. You haven't got what they've got, but you wish you had and therefore hold it against those that pamper their car just because you wouldn't. Your car is not in as good as condition so you excuse it by the "use it as intended" line which is also a form of sarcasm. Open displays of jealousy & sarcasm are not traits people respect. The fact that you even own a rare car, says that you have some appreciation for something special. However, ignore the advice given to you here by others, and I'm afraid whether you realise it or not you are going to have a very lonely and unfullfilling life. Or at the very least a not a better one.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:59 AM   #50
mrniceguy

yup, jealousy is a curse.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:01 AM   #51
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

ams77, lets see you rack up 30,000km+ a year in your XC and see how much time you have to spend to keep it pristine.....
Old 03-05-2010, 01:04 AM   #52
BHDOGS
Banned

It always amuses me when anybody here has a different opinion on something its always because there jealous you say b series is crap and prefer eseries because they actually differentiate models your jealous you like au's over b series? its because your poor and jealous you think f6's are just boosted xr6tsm, your jealous everybodys jealous over everything that's why they cant have opinions on anything grow up people using jealous as an excuse because somebody believes cars are for driving not locking away in sheds for old ladies to sit in deck chairs and look at is as much a crock of crap as ams77s entire post.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:13 AM   #53
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
ams77, lets see you rack up 30,000km+ a year in your XC and see how much time you have to spend to keep it pristine.....
I really don't think it is about the whole 'keeping it pristine', sounds to me others are really commenting on the fact that you yourself stated your car is not looking its best.. that doesn't mean paint job etc, it simply means the overall condition and presentation of it.

I work weird hours and a lot of them, I have 2 younger kids to take care, club to spend time with, friends and family to spend time with but I still find time to undo my parkers and tail lights and clean the dust out.. still find a way of keeping dust from being seen in other odd spots..

You bagged out people on here for their way of thinking and feeling about their prides n joys, some have not taken it so nicely and told you a few home truths but yet you still justify your ignorance on what a true enthusiast is. I don't know or really care if you are jealous of what others own, hell, I am but I also care about what I own more so.

Lots of us drive crazy klms a year.. I racked up a ridiculous amount in my ol girl since owning her.. but that doesn't mean I drive her around with plugged up holes and cracked covers etc.. it means I don't take her to a car show in that ordinary condition either.. Realise what you have said and maybe take a good hard look at how you came across on here. You aren't any more important with your 'only sprint there' attitude than others that were there with whatever vehicle they had.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:15 AM   #54
nstg8a

at the end of the day these 'elite' (for want of a better term) owners paid for their cars with their own money, not yours. so you have absolutly no right to try and tell someone else how they should or shouldnt treat their car.

do onto others etc etc... if you dont like people commenting about your car, dont comment about theirs.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:19 AM   #55
SXR6
Still a Ford boy... Just.

Quote:
and to think i didnt even start on the BA-FG's.......
What? Glorified taxis? lol
Each to their own. Car is a car. I believe a car is meant to be driven and enjoyed be it every day or once a year.
Getting told off by a couple of random car enthusiasts for wearing a Holden shirt is a little silly though. I thought it was funny.
Man people get way personal and defensive fast on here. At the end of the day its a car, if you love yours that much you don't want to drive it because its 1 less spec of dirt on it, thats your right. If you drive it and it gets a little chip here and your fine with that, thats your right to.
That poem made me laugh to.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:31 AM   #56
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXR6
What? Glorified taxis?
no, more that if i wanted to see one, i'd go to a ford dealer any other day of the week
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXR6
Getting told off by a couple of random car enthusiasts for wearing a Holden shirt is a little silly though. I thought it was funny.
apart from upsetting the one eyed ford freaks, thats why i did it, its sad how many people believe anything other than a ford/holden, etc is rubbish and wont hear any different

one of the ladies going around taking photos asked me to stand in front of a BA XR8, hand on the bonnet looking at the engine bay so she could take a photo of me, HOLDEN prominently printed across the back of my shirt.... said its going to get the label "R.E.S.P.E.C.T" when she puts it online....

its that kinda attitude i love to see, people with an appreciation for what anyone has and who doesnt take things too seriously......
Old 03-05-2010, 01:48 AM   #57
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||
elitists are the worst. i mean i went to a wedding in oil stained tracksuit pants & my good double plugger thongs and they wouldnt even let me in. i pointed out to the groom that his socks really didnt match his belt colour & he got all huffy at me.

Spot on. Nail. Head.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:34 AM   #58
BlueKoop
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think your missing the risk factor that we take everytime we take our cars out on the road. I would like to see you find a rear quarter for a coupe or alike, after a careless driver gives you a love tap, ect.

1973 Vivid Blue Pearl XB Coupe

Engine Build up and progress thread

New Car

2008 FG F6 Ute
Old 03-05-2010, 02:45 AM   #59
351EL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueKoop
I think your missing the risk factor that we take everytime we take our cars out on the road. I would like to see you find a rear quarter for a coupe or alike, after a careless driver gives you a love tap, ect.
I must agree. Every time I take my mustang out someone either runs through a red light or stop sign because they are too busy looking at it and every man and his dog wants to race you.
Knobs like that just ruin the occasion of taking your nice car out.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:00 AM   #60
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueKoop
which side and how many? i know where there are 3 hardtop shells sitting for precisely this purpose, mostly floorpan/parcelshelf/boot opening rust