Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-07-2010, 04:14 PM   #31
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

I think at holden they are trying to have some 'generic' styling between their models. As looking at the CGI it really shows hints of Barina and Cruze aswell as the old Epica.
Just as you can see some vauge similarity between falcon, focus and feista
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2010, 04:19 PM   #32
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think I can hear Ford breathing a big sigh of relief haha.

Im suprised that the exhaust pipes arnt integrated into the bumper which seems to be a new styling trend (Suzuki Kizashi).

It might get punters into the showroom though, anything new usually perks up interest.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2010, 04:24 PM   #33
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

i'd be very surprised if these were indicative of the upcoming changes, very very surprised. I'll have my hat near me, ready to eat, but look at a few things:

1) The VE has been criticised widely already for its lack of styling changes, these pictured changes are far too modest, i can barely tell the difference.

2) The chops are done by someone at yahoo.com? Or is this just someone in the public's work based on cars or official pictures he's seen?

3) following on from #2, the number plates aren't even lined up with the rest of the cars lines.

I'd be ridiculously surprised if the visual updates were not significantly more dramatic than those pictured
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2010, 04:25 PM   #34
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

VE - it's a 5 year old design that looked dated after 2 years with an interior that would look dated in a VS Commodore !!!

Ford did it with the BA/BF and only J-U-S-T got away with it IMO, but to try and milk the VE with such minimal styling changes after 5 years is risky IMO.
FalconXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2010, 04:27 PM   #35
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth
i'd be very surprised if these were indicative of the upcoming changes, very very surprised. I'll have my hat near me, ready to eat, but look at a few things:

1) The VE has been criticised widely already for its lack of styling changes, these pictured changes are far too modest, i can barely tell the difference.

2) The chops are done by someone at yahoo.com? Or is this just someone in the public's work based on cars or official pictures he's seen?

3) following on from #2, the number plates aren't even lined up with the rest of the cars lines.

I'd be ridiculously surprised if the visual updates were not significantly more dramatic than those pictured
I have a feeling these are based on embargod official photos, so probably very accurate.

Now the big question... Will the Calais wagon finally get chrome window surrounds?
Old 04-07-2010, 04:32 PM   #36
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:

I disagree, the VE has been a reasonably good seller, so why change a proven recipe? Think of other 'upgrades' that didnt get many changes ie BA/F etc. Car manufactuers cannot afford major changes nowadays. The above pictures albeit abit rough (numberplate as you said) not that it is a real big deal anyway, are significant enough to keep the plebs interested.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 04-07-2010, 05:05 PM   #37
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
I disagree, the VE has been a reasonably good seller, so why change a proven recipe?
i already said i'll eat my hat if i'm wrong, i just find it very underwhelming.

Yes of course BA to BF was subtle, we already know that, but that was done 3 years after the launch of the BA, then discontinued 3 years later, it was a mid flight change. The VE is being done 5 years after launch, so are they saying there's another 5 years in this body shape? If the photo's are accurate then it will simply be a bandaid until their next body shape comes out, to compete with FG2.

The iPhone 3GS was a fantastic seller, so why bring out an iPhone 4? The Pentium was a hot item, so why bring out a core 2 duo? Unleaded sells extremely well, so why bring out any alternative fuels? It's called the moving forward of technology, and keeping the buyer interested. The VE shape looked dated years ago, it's just getting worse. Having said that i think the AU looks more modern than the FG, but that's for another time.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:07 PM   #38
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewg6e
At least you can get a factory sunroof on the Holden, as pictured on that awful looking red thing
What does it matter, you can still get a sunroof on a Ford, the only difference is you go and organise it yourself, it cost's the same.
Do you think the "Sunroof option" from Holden is a NCO, it's not, so it still cost's the buyer $2000 odd, where as that is what it will cost you if you get it done aftermarket in a Ford anyway, by the way, most of them are sent out of house anyway to be fitted, so it doesn't make that much of a difference.
At the end of the day it cost's the same, it can be done to both vehicle's, so you have no point, or are you a lazy person that can't organise thing's and would rather someone do it for you
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2010, 05:09 PM   #39
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
I disagree, the VE has been a reasonably good seller, so why change a proven recipe? Think of other 'upgrades' that didnt get many changes ie BA/F etc. Car manufactuers cannot afford major changes nowadays. The above pictures albeit abit rough (numberplate as you said) not that it is a real big deal anyway, are significant enough to keep the plebs interested.
I agree with you 100%, cost would have been a huge factor here, considering the time frame this VEII would have been signed of on , it would have been around the time when the GFC was at it's worst, so I say it's more of a cost or lack of it.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:12 PM   #40
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
What does it matter, you can still get a sunroof on a Ford, the only difference is you go and organise it yourself, it cost's the same.
Do you think the "Sunroof option" from Holden is a NCO, it's not, so it still cost's the buyer $2000 odd, where as that is what it will cost you if you get it done aftermarket in a Ford anyway, by the way, most of them are sent out of house anyway to be fitted, so it doesn't make that much of a difference.
At the end of the day it cost's the same, it can be done to both vehicle's, so you have no point, or are you a lazy person that can't organise thing's and would rather someone do it for you
The big advantage the Holden one has is that it is pressed body-in-white. Whereas the Falcon you need to hacksaw the painted roof. The Holden one also sits flush with the roof, the falcon after market ones have a rubber seal.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:13 PM   #41
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:

Yes of course BA to BF was subtle, we already know that, but that was done 3 years after the launch of the BA, then discontinued 3 years later, it was a mid flight change. The VE is being done 5 years after launch, so are they saying there's another 5 years in this body shape? If the photo's are accurate then it will simply be a bandaid until their next body shape comes out, to compete with FG2.

The iPhone 3GS was a fantastic seller, so why bring out an iPhone 4? The Pentium was a hot item, so why bring out a core 2 duo? Unleaded sells extremely well, so why bring out any alternative fuels? It's called the moving forward of technology, and keeping the buyer interested. The VE shape looked dated years ago, it's just getting worse. Having said that i think the AU looks more modern than the FG, but that's for another time.
Yep very valid point but sublte changes are the order of the day IMO, wholesale changes are just not viable in this day in age.
A couple of exterior/interior changes, some new technology and there you have it.
The VE is dated in all areas ill give you that, but making huge changes isnt going to to Holden any good.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 04-07-2010, 05:16 PM   #42
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Quote:

this is what im talking about. a company has to stay fresh and AHEAD of the competition, if they don't refresh the sheetmetal somewhat, it will hurt them(it already is, just because they lead the sales doesnt mean they are making money)
my grandmother bakes a fantastic choccy cake, my mum follows the same recipe, but she improves on it, alters it and occasionally doesnt use chocolate and uses something else. it would be pretty boring if it was the same old cake every time, despite how good it tastes.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2010, 05:20 PM   #43
BHDOGS
Banned

It still looks like vomit
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2010, 05:24 PM   #44
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 

whats the difference? looks the same to me????
Old 04-07-2010, 05:34 PM   #45
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
The big advantage the Holden one has is that it is pressed body-in-white. Whereas the Falcon you need to hacksaw the painted roof. The Holden one also sits flush with the roof, the falcon after market ones have a rubber seal.
To me that doesn't matter, as long as it is sealed for rust there is no difference, it is either cut out before or after and in both process, you would assume they are sealed, no difference.
Also are you sure about that with the rubber seal as the FG's I have seen with sunroof's sit flush,
Like I said let's say you pick an aftermarket sunroof like say Holandia, they themselves fitted the sunroof's to factory vehicle's anyway, so I don't see a problem, the end result is the same at the same cost, is what I am trying to get at.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:51 PM   #46
4.0i_SiX
SiX_iN_a_RoW

Looks pretty much the same, as expected. I think the front is a little more cohesive though. Those interior air vents are awful
Old 04-07-2010, 05:51 PM   #47
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
Release is August??

Suprised they didnt put HIDs in SSV and Calais V. By the look of that update its definately only a series II with very minimal changes!

Ford aren't the only people with money issues.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2010, 05:56 PM   #48
HSE2

Is this statement right?

"A four-piston (front) and single-piston (rear) Brembo brake package will be available on the sports models, similar to that seen on the limited edition HSV GXP."

Edit. Seems so. Missed HSV using Brembo
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
Old 04-07-2010, 06:09 PM   #49
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
I have a feeling these are based on embargod official photos, so probably very accurate.

Now the big question... Will the Calais wagon finally get chrome window surrounds?
No, the big question is, who cares what happens to the chrome surrounds....

Accurate or not (and caradvice would be damn silly to make the statements they have if they weren't damn sure) changes to the exterior styling and interior especially are not the main issue. The VE has issues engineering wise and that would stop most 'thinking' buyers from touching the thing long before the staid styling would. Be it Ford with the FG or the plethora of imported medium sized cars (including holden's own cruze) there is simply too much choice in the market to get away with peddling this average (at best) vehicle. Yeah sure they get lots of sales. We all know why....the australian heritage, the discounting on sticker specials (not saying Ford doesn't try the same thing...) and of course, a plethora of dodgy 3.0 SIDI omegas going to fleets.

BUT, that doesn't mean the car has the goods when an even half impartial eye is cast over it. I've heard alot of stuff about Holden from non-car people lately and it aint very positive. At best, the cruze has been getting the kudos...not the commodore. They are bringing a E85 engine (despite there being SFA supply of the juice) while ford deliver a new v8 and ecoboost within 12 months.....

A holden fan told me i shouldn't be 'so harsh' on GMH because although he admitted their engines 'weren't as good as the falcon's' they should be given credit for 'trying something new' (i.e. SIDI). WTF? So Holden should be given special rewards, via sales it would seem too, for doing what every other manufacturer does normally as part of, you know, being a automotive business? Not to mention the recent 'upgrades' DON"T WORK....at least not very well. Its this sort of brand loyalty that you literally can't buy. Question is, how long can holden just trade on this? Look at toyota in the US....if you keep making crap eventually you will be busted....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2010, 06:24 PM   #50
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
Is this statement right?

"A four-piston (front) and single-piston (rear) Brembo brake package will be available on the sports models, similar to that seen on the limited edition HSV GXP."

Yeah i thought they used AP or they used to.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 04-07-2010, 06:30 PM   #51
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Keep the personal insults at the door thanks
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 04-07-2010, 06:31 PM   #52
HSE2

Iggy. Not sure what has gone on here but I had edited the quote you are commenting on to remove the negative sentiment. Dallas has decided the entire post should go and somehow between us we have allowed the post to be visible again.

It’s not a sunroof thread so let’s move the subject on a d let moderation take care of the standard of comments please.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:38 PM   #53
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Is this statement right?

More left over bits from the GXP export program Ian.

Clubsport R8 & Upwards still use AP Racing Calipers.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2010, 06:39 PM   #54
Mr12345678x

Some pictures which were taken down from The Motor Report website
Mr12345678x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2010, 06:40 PM   #55
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

yes that post had a bit of a communal moderating going on - andrewG6e: no more crap, you've had enough warnings.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:42 PM   #56
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Very subtle differences, I don't like it. I can barely tell the difference.

Then again I support Ford, so blue blood bias all the way.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2010, 06:42 PM   #57
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U

Thanks for the clarification. Makes you wonder why they used Brembos for GXP
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 04-07-2010, 06:44 PM   #58
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U

Thanks mate. I had missed that one
Old 04-07-2010, 06:46 PM   #59
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Brembos were probably cheaper.. I like the silver brembos, ford should offer them on XR6 T and G6ET
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2010, 07:01 PM   #60
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Quote:
Iggy. Not sure what has gone on here but I had edited the quote you are commenting on to remove the negative sentiment. Dallas has decided the entire post should go and somehow between us we have allowed the post to be visible again.

It’s not a sunroof thread so let’s move the subject on a d let moderation take care of the standard of comments please.
no problem at all mate, I just wanted to clarify with him a bit, but I had a feeling Dallas or farnsworth would edit the post he made anyway.
Sorry for straying off topic.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post