Did one once, found it to be crap 5 5.21%
Will do one soon as I think it will help me 11 11.46%
Would like to do one but can't afford it 17 17.71%
Waste of time, I can drive better than average already 3 3.13%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-12-2010, 11:56 PM   #31
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have done the ACT and the NT Police courses. Drove big red fire trucks for 30yrs and club level circuit racing and motorkhanas etc.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 11:24 AM   #32
AndrewR_AUII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are courses available at all levels of driving skill.

Did a basic course years ago, and found it useful, it gives the chance for inexperienced drivers to experience how their cars behave in extreme situations, and to start to learn how to deal with it. They can also help foster responsible driving attitudes.

The other one I have done is Dean Canto's stunt driving... don't learn anything really useful, but a lot of fun.
AndrewR_AUII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 12:03 PM   #33
Hally

I voted 'did one once, found it crap'.

The reason for this was not the course itself, rather my attitude. At the age I did it (18 - 19) I was more interested in honing my sliding, catching oversteer, hand brake turns etc than learning techniques to get me out of trouble, or even minimising the chances of getting into trouble.

Now at 39 - whilst I see myself as a safe and competent driver, who likes to have some fun when the conditions are safe to do so - feel that I would get a fair bit of value in doing another course. It is never too late to learn new techniques etc.
Hally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 12:12 PM   #34
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

I've done cajillions of them, plus worked as in instructor at a QLD based company for 12 months. The amount of people who thought they were better than they actually were was quite astonishing.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 12:15 PM   #35
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
I've done cajillions of them, plus worked as in instructor at a QLD based company for 12 months. The amount of people who thought they were better than they actually were was quite astonishing.
Yes, I too was quite amazed at the actual skill levels after attending an AFF skid pan day in Gympie a few years ago.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 12:30 PM   #36
XCwillo
Had Rep of GT-HO. Legit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
You only need to get to Gympie

www.roadcraft.org

And a 5 speed is going to make very little difference in your XC.
Oh well hey that looks like the go-diddly!

And i meant i needed the five speed because 4 gear at 11 k's is revving its revving rather high, I'd just like the extra gear so i dont run out of petrol by Maryborough

Quick question, what school do/did your daughters go too? Might know them
Old 06-12-2010, 12:38 PM   #37
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCwillo
Oh well hey that looks like the go-diddly!

And i meant i needed the five speed because 4 gear at 11 k's is revving its revving rather high, I'd just like the extra gear so i dont run out of petrol by Maryborough

Quick question, what school do/did your daughters go too? Might know them
Well I used to drive my XC (4.1 4 speed) from Torbanlea to Rockhampton and then back to Gladstone on a tank of fuel and it still had all the pollution crap on it. Put a lower ratio diff centre in it.

Girls went to Nambour SHS.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:01 PM   #38
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
None, was going to do the AAMI one for the lower insurance but I can't be bothered because chances are it wont be reduced by much.
I have done it. I thought it was pretty basic, but the good thing is they didn't harp on about 'Speed.' They focus on core driving habits and skills, spacing of your car on the road, understanding how to manoeuvre in an emergency, things like that. Pretty good, and I got my 10% back within a month.

But like all training, it's up to the trainee to put it in place.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:14 PM   #39
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You only need to get to Gympie

www.roadcraft.org

And a 5 speed is going to make very little difference in your XC.
Do they still allow P platers to do courses there? We had a club day there in September this year, and they would not allow our P platers to participate.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 07:34 PM   #40
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

They should be shut down if they don't.

Oo\===/oO
Old 06-12-2010, 07:46 PM   #41
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
Do they still allow P platers to do courses there? We had a club day there in September this year, and they would not allow our P platers to participate.
They have allowed L platers to participate before so I do not see why not.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:50 PM   #42
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
Yes they have a P plate course.

Club days tend to be a bit more "enthusiastic", maybe their insurance did not cover.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:56 PM   #43
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

They allowed a L plate driver to participate on a couple of different years that I attended there. Must just depend on the mood of the person running it.

In terms of defensive driving the club days are of little value, more of a yippee drive. Last time they did do some braking distance and ABS braking but that was about it.

Drive courses at Mt Cotton or through DMA etc are a lot more value as they actually teach more, it's not about power oversteer like the Roadcraft club days are.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:08 AM   #44
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good to see a fair few have done them.
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 12:26 AM   #45
Coyote mk3
Clutch Cable Killer

Quote:
Yes they have a P plate course.

Club days tend to be a bit more "enthusiastic", maybe their insurance did not cover.
Our club was told that they had some P-platers at club event/s who decided there was no difference between the road and the skid pan and when pulled over by police told them they had been at the skidpan earlier.

Therefore no one without an open license can participate in a club event.
Seems even a driver training place brands us no-good P-platers with the same stick.
I had participated last year on my L's and the year before with no license.
Wouldn't have a bar of it. NO P-PLATERS!!

Last year on my L's I did Slalom and wet braking in my car, oversteer/understeer in both turbo fwd, new rwd V8 and my 6cyl rwd
All very different cars, and a great experience.

I am planning on doing a course next year when I have the money, however little sour with Road Craft at Gympie so I will most likely try to do it at Mt Cotton.
HID projectors, lowered on King SL and Koni Shocks.

Daily - 2002 AUIII SR
Stock as she comes.

Coyote's EL XR6

^^Click Me^^

15.132@ 91.51 MPH

Photos by Me https://www.facebook.com/PhotosByMatthewWylie
Coyote mk3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 12:28 AM   #46
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Done a few, including FPV drive day, three day high speed advanced driving and braking techniques, as well as a one day drifting course, all were fun useful looking forward to doing more in the future.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 11:58 AM   #47
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote mk3
Our club was told that they had some P-platers at club event/s who decided there was no difference between the road and the skid pan and when pulled over by police told them they had been at the skidpan earlier.

Therefore no one without an open license can participate in a club event.
Seems even a driver training place brands us no-good P-platers with the same stick.
I had participated last year on my L's and the year before with no license.
Wouldn't have a bar of it. NO P-PLATERS!!

Last year on my L's I did Slalom and wet braking in my car, oversteer/understeer in both turbo fwd, new rwd V8 and my 6cyl rwd
All very different cars, and a great experience.

I am planning on doing a course next year when I have the money, however little sour with Road Craft at Gympie so I will most likely try to do it at Mt Cotton.
Give these guys a go...

www.sdt.com.au

Their advance days are great value for money.

Oo\===/oO
Old 07-12-2010, 01:16 PM   #48
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is no option there for "used to teach defensive driving courses" - LOL
Old 08-12-2010, 12:59 AM   #49
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Great as long as the twat in the other car/truck/bus/motorbike has done one...

No, as a 50 year old I have not done one (oh dear!!!) and have no intention of doing one (blasphemer!!), I haven’t had a serious accident and no course is going to be able to show me anything any different to what I have seen so far.....

Buuuuttt!! as a new driver to our roads I would recommend any course that gives you a heads up to the other idiots that use them.....

This poll is like anything to do with "safety" if you say no to the question, or have a alternate view, you will be seen as the anti-christ....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2010, 01:05 AM   #50
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351
This poll is like anything to do with "safety" if you say no to the question, or have a alternate view, you will be seen as the anti-christ....
I was going to do a terse response to your post (caps lock off) but this last line stopped me.

Personally If things start going wrong I want to have as many advantages on my side as I can have.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2010, 01:11 AM   #51
FgNewbie
Australia

Quote:
Great as long as the twat in the other car/truck/bus/motorbike has done one...

No, as a 50 year old I have not done one (oh dear!!!) and have no intention of doing one (blasphemer!!), I haven’t had a serious accident and no course is going to be able to show me anything any different to what I have seen so far.....

Buuuuttt!! as a new driver to our roads I would recommend any course that gives you a heads up to the other idiots that use them.....

one of my younger nephews is very 'in your face' and would ask
are you one of those geriatrics that don't have prangs but cause them
FgNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2010, 02:13 AM   #52
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev28K
I was going to do a terse response to your post (caps lock off) but this last line stopped me.

Personally If things start going wrong I want to have as many advantages on my side as I can have.
And just how many advantages can you absorb...??? next month I have to go to Singapore to "Learn how to avoid running a ship into a oil rig" I have been doing this job for 20+ years but because some idiot had a moment in the North Sea I have to go on another course to tell me what I have been doing for years...

I have no problems with learner drivers been given the option, or having it made compulsory, to do a advanced drivers course, (none of that was around when I got my licence), but to have a poll where if you say "no I have not done one and have no intention of doing one" somehow implies you are a danger to others on the road and are in some way reckless is garbage...

Also, I cannot help but notice how many members have not replied to this poll, does that imply they are reckless by default...

As I alluded to before, if you are a learner driver or someone that is not confident in their own ability then yes, do a course....

Feel free to respond tersely, caps on!!!

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 08-12-2010, 02:21 AM   #53
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FgNewbie
one of my younger nephews is very 'in your face' and would ask
are you one of those geriatrics that don't have prangs but cause them
amazing, i havent done a course so that makes me a geriactric road hazard....your a card mate, and so is the nephew....

Old 08-12-2010, 02:42 AM   #54
FgNewbie
Australia

Quote:
amazing, i havent done a course so that makes me a geriactric road hazard....your a card mate, and so is the nephew....
I didn't say you were a geriatric road hazard. I'd say something else

I cop it all the time from the kids and could visualise him asking you if he were sitting here so I shared the thought.

Not doing a course has nothing to do with it so I didn't bold it. Its his standard response to those that have never had an accident (yeh yeh you said serious). 50 and over he tosses in geriatric.

Interesting reference to the idiot in the North Sea. When we are real geriatrics and still driving, I'm sure we will be the ones called idiots
FgNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2010, 03:11 AM   #55
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FgNewbie
I didn't say you were a geriatric road hazard. I'd say something else

I cop it all the time from the kids and could visualise him asking you if he were sitting here so I shared the thought.

Not doing a course has nothing to do with it so I didn't bold it. Its his standard response to those that have never had an accident (yeh yeh you said serious). 50 and over he tosses in geriatric.

Interesting reference to the idiot in the North Sea. When we are real geriatrics and still driving, I'm sure we will be the ones called idiots
It's all good mate, i know exactly how the little whippersnappers are and figured out where you where coming from...

Old 08-12-2010, 01:13 PM   #56
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Would love to know who the two peanuts are that ticked 'Waste of time, I can drive better than average already'......would be too funny to get them out there and see how good they really are.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 08-12-2010, 01:25 PM   #57
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

boss54, FFOracing

Just click on the "view poll results" icon
Old 08-12-2010, 01:26 PM   #58
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

haha thanks, did not know it did that, too funny....

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 08-12-2010, 09:37 PM   #59
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

There is also the argument that doing a course gives you a false sense of superiority. I.e. Did something 10 years ago and now I'm a driving god forever.

9 years ago I did a course where they pulled the ABS fuse before a swerve and recover to prove that I could do it without locking my brakes at the speed that they wanted. It took me two goes but I eventually did it. I don't reckon I could do it these days without resorting to the ABS even though the car has now got better brakes, tyres and suspension.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2010, 10:12 PM   #60
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Advanced driving courses eh! -Used to do one eveyday on the Monash Fwy, but now I have moved to Burwood hwy and upped the pace.
But seiously, have doen several over the years, diferent teachers different conditions, different surfaces. All well worth it and all "good times".
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post