Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-11-2010, 02:35 PM   #31
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Drive the Civic Type R. Then make a decision, you might find that you can't stand the car. If that happens it would make this entire thread redundant and whole lot of thought wasted lol
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2010, 04:08 PM   #32
arlester

Thanks for your replies guys...
I have driven the Type R and love it. Yes the suspension is hard but I don't go over that many bad roads. And as soon as you see a corner in it all is forgotten.

It is even faster in a straight line than the falcon and the sound is so much more entertaining at 8,000 RPM.

I think I am going to do it. And for the people that are saying stay australian and be happy with the Falcon. The Falcon no longer offers me anything. It is slow and too large plus the extra cost of a six is annoying.

So thanks again guys for your thoughts and opinions.
arlester is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2010, 04:27 PM   #33
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would be taking a VW golf gti over the civic sorry, I dont like the civics

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2010, 04:32 PM   #34
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
I would be taking a VW golf gti over the civic sorry, I dont like the civics

He is a P plater and therefore is not allowed to drive a turbo, a GTI is turbo.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:57 PM   #35
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZA-289
OZ didn't get the type R in this model, so we get the type S rebadged as a type R.

I'd say go for it if its what you want, you dont need our approval.
I think you should do some research, the Type S in this model is a 1.4L naturally aspirated 4 that gets 100ps (73kw) and does the 0-100 in an astonishing 13 secs.

The Civic Type R is a 2L naturally aspirated 4 that gets 201ps and does the 0-100 in 6.6 which is not too shabby, compare that to his XR6 which is about 6.8 and you can see these things are no slouch.

Those figures are off the UK Honda website.

From the Australian website it states the Civic Type R has a 2L naturally aspirated 4 producing 148kw (which converts to 201ps).

The UK Type R and the Australian Type R are the same car, that is because all Type R's are made in the UK. It is not a re badged Type S.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:11 PM   #36
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

If you want it and can afford to make the change without losing lots and lots of $ then why not, personally i'd wait till your off the p's and pick up a GTI or XR5T (Or Cooper S...)
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2010, 05:19 PM   #37
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
If you want it and can afford to make the change without losing lots and lots of $ then why not, personally i'd wait till your off the p's and pick up a GTI or XR5T (Or Cooper S...)
Cooper S are great but not if there is any chance you will want the back seat one day, it is as usable as the back seat in a 911 (probably less actually), the back of my drivers seat is about 2.5 cm from the back seat (its ok, the border collies sit don't need leg room). On the other hand, we noted that although difficult due to access being a 3 door (not impossible but a bit more difficult), the Type R had usable rear leg room. I would not want to be in the back for an interstate trip but around town it would be ok even for me and I am 6'1".
Old 08-11-2010, 06:03 PM   #38
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I used to work at a Honda dealership, I don't see what the hype is with the Civic Type R, its not that great, its a pain in the *** to drive in heavy traffic, has a weak 3rd gear, we had a couple come in with a completely stripped 3rd gear, the gearbox doesn't stand up to much abuse so don't try and drive it like its 8000 RPM rev limiter wants you to, the engine will hold up fine but 3rd gear wont.

If you want a fast Honda, look at an DC2/5 Integra Type R or DC5 Integra Type S (no LSD but more powerfull and comfortable, less likely to be thrased by young drivers as its more of a luxury ride).

Or if you are adamant on a Civic Type R, get the Jap import 2004 Type R, 155kg lighter, 11kw more powerful than the current one.

Also I hope you know that with Honda, major service every 40,000km, because valves need to be adjusted, at a dealership this is a $700 service, plus 80,000km it needs a fuel filter which is convieniently located in the fuel tank.

Theres other hot hatches out there which still handle like they're on rails.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2010, 06:39 PM   #39
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
I used to work at a Honda dealership, I don't see what the hype is with the Civic Type R, its not that great, its a pain in the *** to drive in heavy traffic, has a weak 3rd gear, we had a couple come in with a completely stripped 3rd gear, the gearbox doesn't stand up to much abuse so don't try and drive it like its 8000 RPM rev limiter wants you to, the engine will hold up fine but 3rd gear wont.

If you want a fast Honda, look at an DC2/5 Integra Type R or DC5 Integra Type S (no LSD but more powerfull and comfortable, less likely to be thrased by young drivers as its more of a luxury ride).

Or if you are adamant on a Civic Type R, get the Jap import 2004 Type R, 155kg lighter, 11kw more powerful than the current one.

Also I hope you know that with Honda, major service every 40,000km, because valves need to be adjusted, at a dealership this is a $700 service, plus 80,000km it needs a fuel filter which is convieniently located in the fuel tank.

Theres other hot hatches out there which still handle like they're on rails.
Dame, You're not wrong. Type R is not the best hot hatch out there, and believe me I've near done em all. But the OP didn't offer any alternatives. He said he was looking at a Civic R.

I could throw up about 10 easy suggestions to him, however if he has his heart set on the latest CTR then I would definitely suggest it over the Falcon (that was the original question asked afterall), regardless of what alternative hot hatches are out there. If he asks for some alternate suggestions I'd be happy to give him some...

As for a GTI mrbaxr6t, a Mk6 is probably still a bit exxy compared to the CTR, leaving the OP only the MK5 GTI to choose from, which are a good car, but a more grown up hatch, and also turbo (as gecko mentioned).

-Dan
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2010, 06:58 PM   #40
arlester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
Dame, You're not wrong. Type R is not the best hot hatch out there, and believe me I've near done em all. But the OP didn't offer any alternatives. He said he was looking at a Civic R.

I could throw up about 10 easy suggestions to him, however if he has his heart set on the latest CTR then I would definitely suggest it over the Falcon (that was the original question asked afterall), regardless of what alternative hot hatches are out there. If he asks for some alternate suggestions I'd be happy to give him some...

As for a GTI mrbaxr6t, a Mk6 is probably still a bit exxy compared to the CTR, leaving the OP only the MK5 GTI to choose from, which are a good car, but a more grown up hatch, and also turbo (as gecko mentioned).

-Dan
I am open to suggestions aswell. If you can let me know of some other hot hatches that I could drive and still handle well.

Thanks for your input Dame and I am aware of third gear on the Type R's.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:33 PM   #41
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Bloke, buy the car you want - buying the car someone else wants will cause you to finish up hating the dam thing and wanting to be rid of it in no time......

Get the car you 'want' and like all the other stuff you get out of life - enjoy the hell out of it.
QED.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2010, 11:32 PM   #42
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I sometimes drive a 2L N/A VW golf.. And it goes pretty good for a hatchback.
Although I would never buy one over an XR6.
I'm not a massive fan of small cars.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2010, 11:49 PM   #43
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I asked myself what I was doing driving a family mans car when I'm not a family man. Couldn't come up with a good answer so traded my XR6T on a sports car. Haven't regretted it for a second.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 01:00 AM   #44
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

I recently traded from an AU2 into a Focus.

I used to be of the mentality "omg cars need rwd its so much better omg wtf!!!!!!1111oneoneoneeleven" and all that, but when it came down to it, I didn't NEED a car the size of the Falcon, and I didn't need a six cylinder car.

Do what you want to do, if you're doing it for the right reasons.

I miss the AU. I miss the power it had, even though the Focus seems to put it to the ground a lot quicker the AU had the high end good for overtaking power that I miss. But I'm used to not having it now.

Go with what you want and ignore the comment about trying to take chics out cruising without scratching your subwoofer.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 01:49 AM   #45
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Drew how do you find the XRT compared to the 75? I remember your 75 from an Alfa meet I went to with my mate Damian and his old 156 (Grafico), and yous was just amazing. The sound and the speed. Just a wondeful car.

Yours was the grey one right? Jeez it was clean.
Yep, the 75 was grey at one stage :P

Erm. The XRT is a very very good day-to-day car, boost it up, drive it hard and relax.. Not a bad handler for a barge, goes bloody hard, cruises like a champ and can indulge in massive amounts of tyre smoke based fun at the drop of a hat...

The 75 was my baby... Not many cars could keep up with me on the KooWeeRup-Healesville Road when I was up it... Nowhere near as fast as the XRT in a straight line, but quick enough with 111rwkw & 1100kg with my fat **** in it...

I used to daily a 75, and I would happily do it again. But, the XRT does daily 'better', but not more 'fun'

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 08:34 PM   #46
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
I sometimes drive a 2L N/A VW golf.. And it goes pretty good for a hatchback.
Although I would never buy one over an XR6.
I'm not a massive fan of small cars.
You'd take a non Turbo XR6 over any Golf Derivative just because you don't like small cars??
Old 09-11-2010, 09:34 PM   #47
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
You'd take a non Turbo XR6 over any Golf Derivative just because you don't like small cars??
Does it really matter? If he has a problem with small cars that's his choice and his money. Just like trying to push a large car on someone that see's them as pointless.

Drive what you like and enjoy.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:40 PM   #48
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo

this^^^^

the ctr's have really gone off the boil in recent years, but that jdm one mentioned, oh hell yes!!

i thought the oz spec type r was a mish mash of type r and type s as well?
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 11:17 PM   #49
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Does it really matter? If he has a problem with small cars that's his choice and his money. Just like trying to push a large car on someone that see's them as pointless.

Drive what you like and enjoy.
Curiosity isn't a crime, and I was after an insight here onto the thinking, seeing as how we are discussing it....

The OP has asked a fair question, and doesn't need people giving opinions due to personal predjudice. Thats fine to drive what you like and enjoy, but christ, if you're gonna try sway the kid away from a small car, then give him a good damn reason for it, not just "oh, I don't like small cars.. no reason, just don't like em."
Old 09-11-2010, 11:21 PM   #50
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

More or less yes. I'm still on my P's so it has to be non turbo. I'd prefer a V8 anyway. How many small cars have V8's?

I am about 6 foot 4 so in some small cars I cannot put my seat back as far as I would like. In the golf I sometimes try to push the seat back a little bit more only to realize it's already back.

It's not a big deal in normal driving, but in longer trips I like to have plenty of leg room.

At work we have Toyota Prados, and they are great to drive. Then randomly work hired an XR6 and it felt small when you are used to driving Prado's hundreds of kilometres everyday.

Also XR6 are terrible off roading, from experience I don't recommend trying it.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2010, 04:57 PM   #51
arlester

Falcon is now gone..

I picked my Civic Type R on monday and have been loving it ever since.
It is so quick in comparison to the Falcon and better on fuel aswell.

I will post up some pics if you guys want after the rain stops here.
It already needs a bath too.
Old 24-11-2010, 05:18 PM   #52
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlester
Falcon is now gone..

I picked my Civic Type R on monday and have been loving it ever since.
It is so quick in comparison to the Falcon and better on fuel aswell.

I will post up some pics if you guys want after the rain stops here.
It already needs a bath too.

Congratulations! What colour, year did you end up with?
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2010, 06:12 PM   #53
arlester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Congratulations! What colour, year did you end up with?

I got a Milano Red one. It is 08 just like the falcon and done 20,000 kms.

So in love with this car it isn't funny.
Old 24-11-2010, 07:41 PM   #54
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

congrats mate, good hear your enjoying it
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2010, 08:31 AM   #55
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Congratulations I hope that you enjoy it. This is coming from the owner of an early EB Civic and a DC2 Integra.

I can remember being a bit luke-warm about my EF CRX driving it on the road, but it was a huge amount of fun on track days.

The K20 engine in the CTR has a lot of potential in it and I'd love to have your brakes/wheel/tyres on my DC2.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ

Last edited by Rev28K; 25-11-2010 at 08:40 AM.
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2010, 09:29 AM   #56
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Congratulations, glad to hear that you are loving it as I thought you would, they are a great package. So much great handling and so well equipped for the money.

Please put up some pics, I would love to see it.

As a mark of celebration I think I might take my go cart (the Mini Cooper S) up into the hills on some of my favourite twisty roads and have some fun

If you were in Brissy I would invite you along.

Last edited by geckoGT; 25-11-2010 at 09:37 AM.
geckoGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2010, 10:35 AM   #57
arlester

Thanks guys.

Looks like the rain has stopped but I am flat out at work at the moment so can't get out to get any pics.

I'll give it a wash on the weekend and post some up.

It is a shame Gecko GT that I am not in Brisbane. I am looking forward to getting this car into some twisty bits of road.
Old 25-11-2010, 02:14 PM   #58
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by glavas
so your going to trade a large rwd australian sedan with the best local six ever made to buy a small fwd 4 cylinder from japan? what is wrong with kids these days. good luck cruising around with mates or whatever kids do nowadays.

"hey ladies wanna come for a ride? ill flip the seat down and you can squeeze in the back with little leg room and lack of space. you can put your handbag in the boot and dont scratch the subwoofer!!!!!!"

come on man think keep the xr6 get ya exhaust and big rims and all that
No offence, but any girl that goes "omg a base model XR6 I can't wait to get in his car" is probably not the type you want to pick up in the first place
Old 11-12-2010, 07:47 PM   #59
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne
No offence, but any girl that goes "omg a base model XR6 I can't wait to get in his car" is probably not the type you want to pick up in the first place
some peroxide blonde B&S wife beater singlet Akubra wearing bundy drinking cow branding chain smoking petrol head?

LOLL

Arlester, good work mate, im 100% behind your purchase. Awesome Job, you're gonna love it man.

-Dan