Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-05-2017, 10:18 PM   #31
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Vfacts April. Barely Holden on: Ford almost overtakes rival

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAXRSIX View Post
But if you filter down all of those 408 for sale.... Taking out the dealer demos, and the Ecoboost models, then there are only 140 brand new GT's for sale.

Of those 140 advertised.... Not all of them are actually in stock or yet produced, just dealers trying to get you to put down a deposit.

Unless the listing actually states "New Car: In stock" ... then its not even on the water.

So GT's actually in stock are less than 100 and many at inflated prices.

Also sometimes a dealer will place two or more listings for the same car not in stock to cast their net further, so even the above numbers maybe a lot less.
Yep, many of the 2017 model cars on carsales don't actually exist. That's why they all have the exact same stock photos.

http://www.carpoint.com.au/DesktopDe....%5d)&limit=12

Wonder how many of those actually exist. They all the have exact same tag line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spammy View Post
Any idea on number of Everests sold? I think I have seen 2 on the road since they were launched.
Really, I see a 2 most days I would say. They are a little on the expensive side, but I see 'Trends' mostly. Titanium models are way to expensive for what you get.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-05-2017, 12:30 PM   #32
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Holden will be become irrelevant very soon.
Are they not "irrelevant" now? They have nothing to offer the buying public.Commodore is nothing special anymore.Cheers
Old 06-05-2017, 01:32 PM   #33
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Graphical stats have been uploaded now to the Tech portal.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-05-2017, 09:04 PM   #34
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackney View Post
Are they not "irrelevant" now? They have nothing to offer the buying public.Commodore is nothing special anymore.Cheers
Commodore is as special as falcon is....id still rather buy a commodore then anything Ford has to offer.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:59 PM   #35
RANGEREST
Same ****-Different Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
Commodore is as special as falcon is....id still rather buy a commodore then anything Ford has to offer.
And it's got me stuffed how an irrelevant car can outsell a new to Oz hero car at about 2.5 to 1.
(Stuff all on carsales too)

Edit: I suppose they are almost irrelevant seeing as they'll stop production soon.
UA2 Everest Trend 2.0lt
RANGEREST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2017, 06:52 AM   #36
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
There is so much better in the market place.They should have retired the Commodore years ago,as Ford should have done with Falcon.Cheers
Old 07-05-2017, 10:58 AM   #37
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
There is so much better in the market place.They should have retired the Commodore years ago,as Ford should have done with Falcon.Cheers
Where are you going to get a V8 with that performance for the same dollars?
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2017, 11:12 AM   #38
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
Where are you going to get a V8 with that performance for the same dollars?
Why do you need a V8? Plenty of performance sixes & fours that are really very quick.V8s(my personal opinion) are so yesterday.I have had quite a few,but they do not interest me in the slightest.Cheers
Old 07-05-2017, 01:46 PM   #39
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow, Mustang is the best selling passenger car for Ford...
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2017, 04:31 PM   #40
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Why do you need a V8? Plenty of performance sixes & fours that are really very quick.V8s(my personal opinion) are so yesterday.I have had quite a few,but they do not interest me in the slightest.Cheers
Maybe so, but they're not a V8. Some people (not including myself personally) don't want anything but V8's and for the money you won't buy a better 4 door sedan than a Commodore. As an overall package they're better than the final Falcons were, as much as it pains me to say it.

A Calais V would look very nice in my driveway!
2 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2017, 06:16 PM   #41
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Why do you need a performance 6 or 4?? Just buy a Camry, they can be used as transport.

I know people say an xr6 turbo is faster than an N/A Xr8. But I would never ever buy a xr6t over an xr8. Personal choice. It's not always about outright speed for everyone.

I had a friend say "why would anyone own a V8, way too expensive to run"
He owns a base model Lancer which he bought second hand. I didn't even attempt to explain it. Smile and nod is the easiest way to handle the situation.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:18 PM   #42
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day ...Interesting to say the least....and a bit of a worry....Not a single Ford car in the top 20 is something that most wouldn't believe even 4-5 years ago..
I had a look at the FG /FGX sales figures just out of interest...rounded to nearest hundred..
2008 - 43,500
2009 - 43,200
2010 - 38,600
2011 - 25,300
2012 - 19,000
2013 - 14,100
2014 - 9,200
2015 - 8,600
2016 - 6,500

Mondeo I thought might start to sell a bit but Focus is truly disappointing .
Looks like the once market leading Ford brand in the car market is now a very minor player...The Fords in the SUV, market the only Ford badge seller to any extent...
It's funny to think that Corolla sold 2500 or so in April as the number one passenger car..or 81 cars a day....In 2008 , the year my FG was sold new , Ford were selling 121 cars a day which was less than half of the heady days when Falcons alone sold around 90,000 a year..
Times have certainly changed forever now...
Cheers Rod...
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2017, 07:19 PM   #43
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Why do you need a performance 6 or 4?? Just buy a Camry, they can be used as transport.

I know people say an xr6 turbo is faster than an N/A Xr8. But I would never ever buy a xr6t over an xr8. Personal choice. It's not always about outright speed for everyone.

I had a friend say "why would anyone own a V8, way too expensive to run"
He owns a base model Lancer which he bought second hand. I didn't even attempt to explain it. Smile and nod is the easiest way to handle the situation.
A workmate at work was telling me he couldn't believe my XR6 ute wasn't on gas as my car would drink fuel like crazy. Refused to believe me when I said I was getting between 620 to 700km driving from Lara to Melbourne 5 days a week (including stop start peak hour traffic) and weekend driving.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:03 PM   #44
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
A workmate at work was telling me he couldn't believe my XR6 ute wasn't on gas as my car would drink fuel like crazy. Refused to believe me when I said I was getting between 620 to 700km driving from Lara to Melbourne 5 days a week (including stop start peak hour traffic) and weekend driving.
6's ain't a bad compromise between economy and power.
But certain people will never understand.

I used to get 7.5L/100kms out of my V8 on the freeway due to the cylinder deactivation. Not a big fuel saver around town since the deactivation kicked in at around 70km/h under light load, but theoretically I could travel 900kms on a single tank on a freeway. Unfortunately I enjoyed the V8 sound too much to keep up 7.5L for extended periods of time.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:03 PM   #45
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day all....Ponder these numbers just as an ironic twist to all this...
Back in 1998 FA released a car (AU) that was lambasted by so many and called a disaster...Hmmmm....I had a look at the sales figures compared to more recent years..This is what I found...In 1998 allowing for a some runout EL sales also of course in '98 the AU sold over 75,000 passenger vehicles ...In 1999 they sold 81,000 , in 2000 just under 75,000 again and in the last full year of AU in 2001`71,000 were sold...The last of the AU lll sold in early 2002 before the BA took over...Allowing for the model runout sales of EL/AU and AU/BA roughly cancelling each other out ...in excess of 300,000 AU's in about 48 months ...or about 6200 per month...Fast forward a decade and a half and 11 -12 times more AU's were sold than the beaut FGX in the last year of it's existence in 2016...Here's the irony of all ironies
I love the AU as many of us do but it proves beyond any doubt that the "worst Falcon or ugliest Falcon ever " as the scribes of the day kept telling us cannot be called as such now based on sales.. We know that the FGX was a genuinely world class car but no matter what way you look at it the sales figures tell another story...(6500 for the whole of 2016)...
They say statistics never lie...In this case they certainly do...Cheers Rod..
Old 07-05-2017, 08:29 PM   #46
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Why do you need a V8?
Because !!
Today I thought that mine needed a bit of WOT to clear the cobwebs, after far too long waffling along at 80kmh with the traffic in general use.
Took it out onto a country freeway, 2nd gear, numerous short bursts 95 to 135 and back off over a distance of about 10km............. very naughty old fart, but I really enjoyed the noise and acceleration.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2017, 08:31 PM   #47
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
6's ain't a bad compromise between economy and power.
But certain people will never understand.

I used to get 7.5L/100kms out of my V8 on the freeway due to the cylinder deactivation. Not a big fuel saver around town since the deactivation kicked in at around 70km/h under light load, but theoretically I could travel 900kms on a single tank on a freeway. Unfortunately I enjoyed the V8 sound too much to keep up 7.5L for extended periods of time.
G'day...Good points ...Do you think that the lack of a six cylinder at least or V8 other than the niche Stang will bite Ford Australia on the bum or are passenger car sales so inconsequential now , they don't even care any more ?....Cheers Rod..
Old 07-05-2017, 10:12 PM   #48
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
Back in 1998 FA released a car (AU) that was lambasted by so many and called a disaster...Hmmmm....I had a look at the sales figures compared to more recent years..This is what I found...In 1998 allowing for a some runout EL sales also of course in '98 the AU sold over 75,000 passenger vehicles ...In 1999 they sold 81,000 , in 2000 just under 75,000 again and in the last full year of AU in 2001`71,000 were sold...The last of the AU lll sold in early 2002 before the BA took over...Allowing for the model runout sales of EL/AU and AU/BA roughly cancelling each other out ...in excess of 300,000 AU's in about 48 months ...or about 6200 per month...Fast forward a decade and a half and 11 -12 times more AU's were sold than the beaut FGX in the last year of it's existence in 2016...Here's the irony of all ironies
I love the AU as many of us do but it proves beyond any doubt that the "worst Falcon or ugliest Falcon ever " as the scribes of the day kept telling us cannot be called as such now based on sales.. We know that the FGX was a genuinely world class car but no matter what way you look at it the sales figures tell another story...(6500 for the whole of 2016)...
O please....
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2017, 12:10 PM   #49
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford had the foresight to bring the Mustang. It's the RWD V8 saving grace. Looks great and gets heaps of attention too.
Old 08-05-2017, 12:11 PM   #50
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
The Zephyr was not a small car at the time, although I can't get over how small the Mk1 was/is compared to current model small/medium cars.
The Mk2 was made in Oz, sold well and was a damn good car that left the equivalent Holden standing in price, looks and drivability (for it's day). When I traded mine on a new HK Kingswood, the driving difference between them was incredible, the Zephyr seemed a lot older car than the 10 years that it was.
But then the XK Falcon had made it look old, but it was not a better car.
Cheers Ira, don't know much about the Zephyr. Suspected it was a pretty good unit.
Old 08-05-2017, 12:14 PM   #51
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
They should RHD the explorer and sell it here, beats me why they bothered with Ford Everest. The current gen is an amazing car and a far cry from that dowdy 90s piece of junk we got here. Has good handling, nice build quality, styling is a blend of Range Rover and Ford Australia. Drove around in one and parked near the Niagara falls for a photo, and was pleasantly suprised to hear some tourists with what seems to be New Zealand accents nearby remarking, 'is that a territory? Looks like a new territory'
Agree. Can you imagine Explorer, Flex, Expedition, Bronco in Oz? And F Series. It would be amazing, a distinct point of difference, and a great base from which to knock Toyota out of the Bush.
Old 09-05-2017, 01:28 AM   #52
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
No there really isn't. For the price and performance these cars are great. I needed space in my car but I didn't wanna lose the Turbo motor.

Pretty much ended up in another Falcon....would have bought a SSV if the price was right.

Will be looking at KIA in the future....seems to be the only car that I can get what I need.
Old 09-05-2017, 02:39 AM   #53
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
And how many VT-VX Commodores were sold in that same period? The 90s was a different time period with few korean cars, except the throwaway excel, dual cab Utes were uncomfortable and primitive, small cars were inferior in nearly every way bar fuel economy and the SUV was in infancy.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2017, 11:43 AM   #54
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
No there really isn't. For the price and performance these cars are great. I needed space in my car but I didn't wanna lose the Turbo motor.

Pretty much ended up in another Falcon....would have bought a SSV if the price was right.

Will be looking at KIA in the future....seems to be the only car that I can get what I need.
Chrysler SRT?
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2017, 06:15 PM   #55
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
I'm sure they'd get the Edge here right now if they could. There's obviously a hold up somewhere along the line, including in relation to naming, as well as getting the factory set up to build the 7-seater Edge in RHD. I think we're the only market to get that.

(As far as I know, China is the only other market that gets the 7-seater Edge, but they're LHD)
Apparently the "Edge" we are getting is not the one for sale in Europe and North America.

We are getting the mid cycle update (face lift), think Kuga vs Escape or FG vs FGX.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2017, 07:31 PM   #56
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
And how many VT-VX Commodores were sold in that same period? The 90s was a different time period with few korean cars, except the throwaway excel, dual cab Utes were uncomfortable and primitive, small cars were inferior in nearly every way bar fuel economy and the SUV was in infancy.
G'day Very true...You are right ...Don't forget the Kia Rio too How godawful were they ? ..Different times for sure but all the same if someone said in 2000 (around mid run of AU) that only 6500 Falcons would be selling by 2016 they would be committed to a mental institution...Still say that the FGX , past it's use by date or not was a really well sorted car that way too many of us never gave a second glance..
Cheers Rod..
Old 09-05-2017, 08:12 PM   #57
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day , You got me curious how many Commodores sold between 1998 and 2002 inclusive..In that five years they sold about 437,000 .. If you include all of 2002 for Falcons , tail end of AUlll and BA they sold about 73,000 so in that five year period it was 376,000 or so...Outsold by 61,000 or about 1000 units per month in that five years by the GMH mob while the traditional family sedan /station wagon /ute demographic still existed in those days..
..Interesting that in the first full year of the BA , Ford sold 0ver 93,000 cars and over 86,000 in 2004...After that though the numbers dropped dramatically as we all know and never to ever come close again....Cheers Rod...

Last edited by roddy1960; 09-05-2017 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:00 PM   #58
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
Chrysler SRT?
Like the engine....not a fan of the car itself.
Old 10-05-2017, 02:02 PM   #59
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Like the engine....not a fan of the car itself.
You wouldn't be the only one, on this forum it seldom gets mentioned as an affordable large RWD 4 door v8/6 sedan as a replacement for the falcodore.

But its also tipped to have FWD/AWD Platform for its next gen.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2017, 09:38 AM   #60
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Well,actually there is so much better in the market place,Commodore,Falcon? They were well past their use by date.The quality wasn't there for a start,components that failed,ie:Fords transmission woes with it's "milkshake",unheard of with Japanese & Korean vehicles.Ford & Holden just never learned from their mistakes.I "jumped" a little while ago,best move I made.If you purchase a KIA,at least you will have a pretty trouble free vehicle.Would I ever by a Ford again? Highly unlikely.They have themselves to blame.Commodore? even less likely to happen.Won't be sorry to see them gone.Great memories though,from years of owning many,many Fords(Euro & OZ)Times are a changing! Cheers