Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-12-2023, 09:35 AM   #1
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Australian Family Cars: We have gone so far backwards since 2016...

I thought I was the only one who considers current market cars crap.
$60K > $ 70K for a soot blowing, high riding 'family' ute for mostly shopping trips and a dream of towing a van to the great outdoors.
Bells, beeps and lights for incompetent, undecided drivers to replace cars that went, stopped and handled better for mostly competent drivers who learned how to drive the 'hard' way.
EVs which require the planning of Apollo 13 mission to go exploring for a pub lunch into the nearly outback, hoping that a charger will be there in working order, so you can get home again.
Eye searing fashion over function designs inside and out that would have been classed as an April Fools Day practical joke pre 1999.
Topped off by the gullibility of the consumer who has been told 'This is what we will sell you because it is what you really want'.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2023, 11:21 AM   #2
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToryMikey View Post
I was just having a think about how far backwards the standard Australian family car has fallen since 2016.
deep breath. aaand....

no, **** it. can't be bothered. whatever.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2023, 02:04 PM   #3
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

I considered recently selling my GS and my VS Ute and moving to a Alfa Giulia quattrofoligi or a corolla GR but in the end, they were the only 2 vehicles that maybe I’d enjoy but for the cost and what I’ll get, I’ll stick to my GS and VS ute
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2023, 02:10 PM   #4
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

An interesting topic to contemplate. While I can see your point(s) and respect your viewpoint, I think the arguments have been a little oversimplified and there has been a little bit of cherry picking of the data.

Point 1 – reasonable cost. True, but look at the price of houses lately as a benchmark. Way overpriced. Manufacturers are not charities, they can and will charge what the market can bear.

Point 2 – power and torque. Ranger Raptor 3.0L V6 Twin Turbo EcoBoost engine produces up to 292kW at 5650rpm and 583Nm of torque at 3500rpm.

Point 3 – fuel economy. While my G6E had great fuel economy on the highway, around town it was a different story. If fuel economy is the be all and end all, Taxi drivers abandoned the Falcon before it was even out of production. See this old post from 2013 where a Taxi driver who swapped from an LPG Falcon to a Camry Hybrid was saving themselves $6K per year in fuel costs. https://www.fordforums.com.au/showpo...8&postcount=35

Point 4 – braking. One test result that I found for an XR8 recorded a stopping distance around 40 metres (give or take). (Acknowledging the effect of surface friction of test location), a difference source recorded the stopping distance of Model Y at 34.6 metres (best in the Car of The Year pool). If stopping distance is the primary concern the data is clear, buy a Model Y. A Ford Ranger XLT V6 had a recorded stopping distance of 41.1 metres (not too shabby for a vehicle of that weight), and not to far off the pace of an XR8. But tyre selection makes a big difference here. All terrains make a number of compromises for their sidewall strength and traction on unsealed roads, can easily have a braking distance into 50 metres. Braking distance is a user chooses problem.

Point 5 – rear suspension. Not sure what the problem is here. Falcon wagons - the epitome of AU load carrying - stayed with leaf springs to the bitter end. Ditto, the Falcon Ute. Leaf springs have definite advantages for load carrying and towing over the life of a vehicle. While some of the more sophisticated rear end suspensions have less compromises, they also come with considerable greater upfront and ongoing costs.

Point 6 – Steering. While they may have less feel, modern EPAS allow for safety features like lane control. Something that a pure hydraulic system can never do in a cost-effective manner. While some may dislike the feel of EPAS and question the value of lane control, what is often overlooked is how many collisions this technology has prevented. Front end suspension design is bounded by the requirements for wheel articulation for off road travel, travelling on corrugated surfaces, and the weight of the vehicle.

Point 7 - Interior comfort and convenience – these are primarily work vehicles. They sit out in the sun for extended periods and are subjected to abuse the traditional family car is not. Market wants hard plastic surfaces for these variants.

What has been overlooked is why people are choosing these types of vehicles. A Ford Ranger/Everest can go a lot more places than a Falcon ute/wagon/sedan. They certainly can tow a lot more (caravans have grow in size over the last decade) and do so more safely.

I also think one needs to be careful when raising the “practicality” argument. If we are all going to drive “practical cars” for a large family, then it is a Camry four cylinder.

For whatever reason, the large family sedan (in the format of a Falcon or Commodore) is dead. People have long since moved to SUV, be that AWD or 4WD, and are voting with their wallets.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2023, 02:29 PM   #5
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

For those that own dual cabs, if a Falcon was reintroduced today, would you go back?
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2023, 04:40 PM   #6
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
For those that own dual cabs, if a Falcon was reintroduced today, would you go back?
Definitely not, traded my XR ute for dual cab and have not regretted the decision, don't get me wrong I like falcon utes but the dual cab is better for my purpose of vehicle.
Cheers.
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-12-2023, 05:00 PM   #7
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Nope, the “Falcon thing” is all about “Rose coloured glasses”, these new Rangers etc are good vehicles.

E8 had some quality issues but a good Barra engine
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2023, 11:03 AM   #8
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 
Cool Re: Australian Family Cars: We have gone so far backwards since 2016...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
Nope, the “Falcon thing” is all about “Rose coloured glasses”, these new Rangers etc are good vehicles.

Nostalgia...heroin for old people.
Old 24-12-2023, 11:07 AM   #9
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post

I'd buy one in a heartbeat now. I'd love an F6 manual ute. Sadly, I can't buy one new anymore.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-12-2023, 12:36 PM   #10
ToryMikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
I'd buy one in a heartbeat now. I'd love an F6 manual ute. Sadly, I can't buy one new anymore.
I feel you. Local manufacturing shut when I was 22, too early in my life to afford a new car. The XR6T manual ute I wanted to drive off the lot wasn’t still being made by the time I could afford a new car. Now what ute can you buy for the same price, a Ranger XL 4x4? Feel the excitement!
1997 BMW E36 318i manual - Alpine White
ToryMikey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-12-2023, 06:09 PM   #11
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToryMikey View Post
I feel you. Local manufacturing shut when I was 22, too early in my life to afford a new car. The XR6T manual ute I wanted to drive off the lot wasn’t still being made by the time I could afford a new car. Now what ute can you buy for the same price, a Ranger XL 4x4? Feel the excitement!
I can relate to this comment. I remember being 27, yet to buy a new car and looking at a blueprint AUIII XR8 on runout and wanting it badly (the red forte wagon appealed too!). Had to wait until 32 to buy 1st new car, in cash. Generally family came first and having kids young, working hard and saving pennies and putting them to work meant to delay in my situation.

Many others can buy a new car pretty much soon after 18 either on debt or if they are lucky, in cash. Everyone will approach it differently.

Keep going for your goal ToryMikey - start watching extra close now to see if it falls into your range faster, given the effect of the recent interest rate rises.
Old 24-12-2023, 12:38 PM   #12
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
There's nothing stopping Ford Australia from designing something similar, surely they could do a single cab Ranger with the Raptor setup minus the hectic suspension setup with a manual box. A 'street' version of the Raptor would nicely round off the Ranger offering - parts bin special.

Kind of like the Gen 1 SVT F150 Lightning or 454SS C/K 1500 (Silverado) of the 1990s.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-12-2023, 12:42 PM   #13
ToryMikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
There's nothing stopping Ford Australia from designing something similar, surely they could do a single cab Ranger with the Raptor setup minus the hectic suspension setup with a manual box. A 'street' version of the Raptor would nicely round off the Ranger offering.

Kind of like the Gen 1 SVT F150 Lightning or 454SS C/K 1500 (Silverado) of the 1990s.
You’re right, not that it would be the same as a Falcon, but it would have car enthusiast appeal at least. Note I say *car* enthusiast, not off roading enthusiast.

The peepee extension ride height puts me off the things, and it’s ridiculous that you can only buy the current Ranger with peepee extension ride height. Even Toyota offers a reasonable ride height with the Hoylux base model.
1997 BMW E36 318i manual - Alpine White
ToryMikey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-12-2023, 12:42 PM   #14
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
There's nothing stopping Ford Australia from designing something similar, surely they could do a single cab Ranger with the Raptor setup minus the hectic suspension setup with a manual box. A 'street' version of the Raptor would nicely round off the Ranger offering.

Sadly, the Raptor is the closest thing now but at a huge price premium over a F6! And I don't understand what people like in the engine note of the Raptor... I hate it. But again, the only option. The F6 sounded, to my ears, much nicer.

A manual Raptor would be awesome in the world we live in now
2 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2023, 06:16 PM   #15
vixf6

Quote:
Yes but only if fix-
Diff bushes
A/C Mixer shaft
ICC Screen, even then

The zf’s in our G6E and terry are just so nice its not funny, prefer them to the Ute 10 sp by a fair margin
2016 R8 Clubsport Lsa sold for beer money
F6 sold AND SAD ABOUT IT
vixf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2023, 09:33 PM   #16
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Re Whynots post - Point 3 Fuel IS the main expense for Taxis...but not the only one.

These days you would have to get a Toyota Camry Hybrid for a Taxi...if you can wait long enough for the dealer to get one. Wait times are improving and there is some coming through from Police and Fleets now via Pickles/Manheim but at near new prices.

The reason you are seeing the weird Taxis like Ravs and T Cross is less waiting time for vehicles, but I havent seen any BYD's or ultra cheap hybrids yet...but someone will do it, at least until the first accident.

Modern cars get more complicated, and harder to fix for the backyarder like me, parts are scarce, cost a bomb and take ages to get here...ALL bad for Taxis.

Fully electric cars like Teslas are NOT suitable for Taxis, as apart from being stupidly expensive, you would need 2 of them, one for Day shift, then another to use at night while the day car recharges...assuming you use normal outlets, you also need a shed to park it in while its charging.

I have enough parts to assemble another Falcon in my shed so that is why I have persisted so long.

My 2014 Falcon cost me about $5000 as a repairable write off, after fixing up and taxifying say $8000, a new Camry cost $40000 so I have $32000 of savings already.
Thats a fair bit petrol...or even more LPG.

If I stay in the business I have to go Camry Hybrid but I wont be selling my personal Falcons either.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 23-12-2023, 08:55 AM   #17
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jastel View Post
Re Whynots post - Point 3 Fuel IS the main expense for Taxis...but not the only one.

These days you would have to get a Toyota Camry Hybrid for a Taxi...if you can wait long enough for the dealer to get one. Wait times are improving and there is some coming through from Police and Fleets now via Pickles/Manheim but at near new prices.

The reason you are seeing the weird Taxis like Ravs and T Cross is less waiting time for vehicles, but I havent seen any BYD's or ultra cheap hybrids yet...but someone will do it, at least until the first accident.

Modern cars get more complicated, and harder to fix for the backyarder like me, parts are scarce, cost a bomb and take ages to get here...ALL bad for Taxis.

Fully electric cars like Teslas are NOT suitable for Taxis, as apart from being stupidly expensive, you would need 2 of them, one for Day shift, then another to use at night while the day car recharges...assuming you use normal outlets, you also need a shed to park it in while its charging.

I have enough parts to assemble another Falcon in my shed so that is why I have persisted so long.

My 2014 Falcon cost me about $5000 as a repairable write off, after fixing up and taxifying say $8000, a new Camry cost $40000 so I have $32000 of savings already.
Thats a fair bit petrol...or even more LPG.

If I stay in the business I have to go Camry Hybrid but I wont be selling my personal Falcons either.
Agreed. Cabs need to be simply and made for their intended purpose, not an adaption.
At least Ford and Holden had proper taxi packs back then, why couldn't we build cars to spec like that now.
The London cab or Checkers cabs for instance even Tuk Tuk's in Asia to some extent.
Your business model if using EV's sounds like the half payload EV truck posted in the truck thread, you need 2 of them the cover the same load needed as one ICE vehicle.
Just doesn't make any sense business wise.

Last edited by roKWiz; 23-12-2023 at 09:01 AM.
roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-12-2023, 01:16 PM   #18
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Agreed. Cabs need to be simply and made for their intended purpose, not an adaption.
At least Ford and Holden had proper taxi packs back then, why couldn't we build cars to spec like that now.
The London cab or Checkers cabs for instance even Tuk Tuk's in Asia to some extent.
Your business model if using EV's sounds like the half payload EV truck posted in the truck thread, you need 2 of them the cover the same load needed as one ICE vehicle.
Just doesn't make any sense business wise.
I think the AU was the last dedicated Falcon taxi pack, vinyl seats, imagine if you specced with the column shift bench seat setup

Maybe put that business case in with my hypothetical coupe utility/panelvan and spring the taxi off the van with extra doors/rear seats. Raised roof will help with cargo & also backpackers.
Old 23-12-2023, 09:50 AM   #19
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jastel View Post

What?! They take about 40 minutes to an hour to fully charge up at a Rapid Charger. Why would a person running a taxi use a standard GPO?

And there are plenty of EV taxis out there now. Even HC's running 24/7.
Old 23-12-2023, 10:02 AM   #20
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
What?! They take about 40 minutes to an hour to fully charge up at a Rapid Charger. Why would a person running a taxi use a standard GPO?

And there are plenty of EV taxis out there now. Even HC's running 24/7.
My take on what that means is there's a lot more infrastructure needed as a small business owner to convert over to E and most would rather keep running their business than start getting involved with extra govco interference to do it.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-12-2023, 12:18 PM   #21
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch
Donating Member3

Quote:
What?! They take about 40 minutes to an hour to fully charge up at a Rapid Charger. Why would a person running a taxi use a standard GPO?.
Regular rapid charging shortens battery life. Replacement batteries are so expensive the car is esentially a throwaway.
Old 23-12-2023, 12:36 PM   #22
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by anobserver View Post
Regular rapid charging shortens battery life. Replacement batteries are so expensive the car is esentially a throwaway.
Sigh. Not true. Go check out the Alternative Power thread on EVs.
3 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2023, 10:18 PM   #23
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Went in mates new Ranger today, I need new kidneys. We drove over lots of rough gravel roads and rough bitumen and the ride is still terrible. It is much better than the old one, but it's still horribly clunky and horrible to ride in. No way I would pay 70k for one, what a joke.

Getting back into my 10k SYII Territory was night and day with ride quality.
Old 22-12-2023, 10:55 PM   #24
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
Went in mates new Ranger today, I need new kidneys. We drove over lots of rough gravel roads and rough bitumen and the ride is still terrible. It is much better than the old one, but it's still horribly clunky and horrible to ride in. No way I would pay 70k for one, what a joke.

Also how slow they are for your $70K too

Like if you don't need a ute you're better off with an SUV compared to a Thailand Special.

I don't like SUVs but I'll concede that as a family car its a better option than the mighty Thailand Special, any day of the week.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 23-12-2023, 01:00 PM   #25
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post

Made the mistake of drawing the back seat of a triton when I did some conservation animal trapping once, over similar rocky/gravel tracks. What a horror ordeal that was.

And yep the SY is light years ahead despite being nearly 17 years old.

Edit: but isn't the Ranger class-leading in that regard?
Old 23-12-2023, 01:09 PM   #26
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post

Edit: but isn't the Ranger class-leading in that regard?
In the world of the blind, the one eyed man is king
4 users like this post:
Old 23-12-2023, 01:17 PM   #27
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
In the world of the blind, the one eyed man is king
very good!

'man with d*** on head cannot see for nuts'
Old 23-12-2023, 07:48 PM   #28
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
very good!

'man with d*** on head cannot see for nuts'
Reminds me of the woman with chin nuts

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-12-2023, 02:14 PM   #29
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

After reading these comments about current utes, it seems that a double cab ute with a lower ride height, V8, 6 speed manual or auto, disc brakes all round, a payload of about 700kg, room for a standard pallet in the tray, and possibly 3 passengers squeezed into the rear seat would be welcome.
Do I have a deal for yoouuu ! !

A Holden Crewman ! Ooops, forgot, they are nearly 20 years old.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 24-12-2023, 06:13 PM   #30
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
After reading these comments about current utes, it seems that a double cab ute with a lower ride height, V8, 6 speed manual or auto, disc brakes all round, a payload of about 700kg, room for a standard pallet in the tray, and possibly 3 passengers squeezed into the rear seat would be welcome.
Do I have a deal for yoouuu ! !

A Holden Crewman ! Ooops, forgot, they are nearly 20 years old.
Bro had an SS Crewman new, the leaking from the upper window seals in heavy rain was even more than the standard VY, and that's saying something. Cool car tho.