Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 06-03-2011, 12:10 PM   #31
NudgE^SIKBRO
Never late with a V8

I still buy movies on DVD and music on CD or through iTunes. I at one point thought about it downloading, but at the end of the day it is theft theft is illegal, well it was when i last checked. Once I have the movie or what ever its mine I can do what i please.

So no, i don't think theres any drama in ISPs canning your connection if its found that you use it in away thats not correct, just like if you use your car in a manner other than what its designed for it can be taken.

(Daily)2004 Explorer V8 Limited
(Work) 2014 Kenworth K200 Aerodyne
(Classic) 1969 Mini K, 1340, twin SU's
The beginning is near!!!

Body by Ford. Soul by NudgE
NudgE^SIKBRO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 09:45 PM   #32
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
i still view piracy as theft, pure and simple, imo it is no different to walking into the nearest cd/dvd store grabbing what you want and walking out the door.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NudgE^SIKBRO
I still buy movies on DVD and music on CD or through iTunes. I at one point thought about it downloading, but at the end of the day it is theft theft is illegal, well it was when i last checked. Once I have the movie or what ever its mine I can do what i please.

So no, i don't think theres any drama in ISPs canning your connection if its found that you use it in away thats not correct, just like if you use your car in a manner other than what its designed for it can be taken.
i wasn't going to weigh in to this debate, but i have been following the comments, and it is refreshing to me to see a few of these comments in the thread. honesty hasn't completely disappeared yet.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 09:52 PM   #33
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Agreed.

Back in the day, you'd by a blank tape and copy an original.
It's been happening for years. Back in the 80's my dad had a huge collection of video's and he even bought an extra video player to record tapes he had hired. A mate of his had several book cases full of the stuff.

Not to mention copying music from LP onto casette and playing them in the car on family holidays.

I think now record companies know you can track people illegally downloading music, they finally have a way of catching pepple out and want all that lost revenue.

I've bought movies in Thailand which customs know to be pirated versions. But they always let them through and never confiscate them.

at the people who say theft is theft. Have you never watched a movie you never paid for?
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 10:03 PM   #34
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
It's been happening for years. Back in the 80's my dad had a huge collection of video's and he even bought an extra video player to record tapes he had hired. A mate of his had several book cases full of the stuff.

Not to mention copying music from LP onto casette and playing them in the car on family holidays.
Back in the day, there was a small tariff on the blank media to go towards to record companies so they could recover a small portion of lost income due to piracy. No such tariff on blank digital media these days.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 10:19 PM   #35
nstg8a

Quote:
Have you never watched a movie you never paid for?
i can quite honestly say i have never knowingly watched a pirated movie, or listened to pirated music.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 11:14 PM   #36
GT 160
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow, what are we China ?!?!?!?

Please, stop asking ridiculous amounts for CD's, DVD's etc and more people will purchase them.

Untill then, Torrents etc FTW !!
GT 160 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2011, 11:21 PM   #37
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

Quote:
So what are people going to do with 100gb plans?
actually, my plan is unlimited

I plan to download the internet(legally)

Last edited by kyro_02; 06-03-2011 at 11:26 PM.
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2011, 12:49 AM   #38
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzwa
Wow, what are we China ?!?!?!?

Please, stop asking ridiculous amounts for CD's, DVD's etc and more people will purchase them.

Untill then, Torrents etc FTW !!

Actually in china pirating is allowed seeing as 20% of their workforce is involved.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:57 AM   #39
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Moral Rights
Australia has recently introduced 'moral rights' for authors. These rights cover non-economic aspects of authorship and were introduced to comply with obligations under international copyright treaties. There are two main moral rights: the right of attribution and the right of integrity. The right of attribution requires that, whenever a work is reporoduced it must be attributed to the author. It also means that works cannot be falsely attributed to an author. The right of integrity requires that works are not modified, distorted or altered in any way that predjudices the author's reputation or professional standing. Moral rights last for the life of the author plus 70 years, except in the case of film directors where their rights are limited to their lifetime. Moral rights cannot be assigned or sold.
and here is oz's current laws..
http://www.utas.edu.au/copyright/doc...t_duration.pdf
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2011, 11:27 AM   #40
gz1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lets take a hypothetical case,
Top gear is a widely watched show that is now available free to air. So Person A decides to record the series as it plays "free to air". In Aus this is all legal and fine and no-one can do anything about it.
Person B however decides to "download" the series. This automatically makes person B a criminal that should be persecuted and have his internet cut off.
What is the difference between the two?.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:29 PM   #41
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

<<I guess you didnt watch the ads that pay for it (not that you pay attention to them anyway...)
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2011, 04:55 PM   #42
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

But when I record using my Tivo, I fastforward the ads, so I haven't watched them anyway!

Besides, if it didn't take weeks, or sometimes months, for shows to air on TV after they've aired oversears, people wouldn't need or want to download them.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2011, 12:24 PM   #43
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYVYSS
already made huge money in the cinema's and or 20-40 bucks a DVD that actually costs 29 cents to produce.
how do you calculate that? lord of the rings cost 430 million to make. the cost of the delivery method is moot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
I haven't downloaded illegal stuff for years.
I am no longer poor so I don't have to worry about buying a movie every now and then.
i dont' either for same reason.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:27 PM   #44
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neale
Maybe they didnt do their maths to realise that they werent going to sell as many DVD's as the expected so they blame the internet.
they don't actually know how many illegal downloads of movies occured. they only guesstimate based on the number of downloads through torrent, even if it isn't a copyright violation, they still count it, because "torrent is only used for illegal purposes"
Old 10-03-2011, 12:38 PM   #45
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
they don't actually know how many illegal downloads of movies occured. they only guesstimate based on the number of downloads through torrent, even if it isn't a copyright violation, they still count it, because "torrent is only used for illegal purposes"
is that tonque and cheeck
muso's who can't afford expensive producers can get their songs out for free.

allso i can't send large CNC, cad cam, auto cad...files to mail boxes as thay have a 10Mb limit..
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2011, 08:40 PM   #46
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
Not sure if I'm detecting sarcasm there.

Torrents are a brilliant method to distribute files - offer a large download and have those downloading it share the majority of the bandwidth = less cost to the original distributor.

I don't download anything illegal on torrents, yet I probably download >20GB a month through torrents.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post