Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 26-03-2014, 05:55 PM   #481
xrxystu
Hangar pilot....

Default Re: Malaysian Airways Flight 370

Yeah I think it'd be unfair to target the airline and lay the blame on them (at this stage) until we get the full story.

Stu
xrxystu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-03-2014, 05:58 PM   #482
cram_it_frog
wombat

First law suite submitted that was quick
and

Money has already been paid to the airline re crash for the loss of a air craft

As the search for any wreckage for the missing Malaysia Airlines flight continues, insurance experts have warned of "divergent" compensation claims, with the families of U.S. passengers potentially receiving millions more than their Asian counterparts.

Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak said on Monday that Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 - missing for more than two weeks – was lost "beyond any reasonable doubt." New satellite data indicated the plane was probably at the bottom of the southern Indian Ocean, Razak added.

All 239 of the people on the plane – 227 passengers and 12 crew – are assumed to have died.

The airline must pay the families of those on board around $176,000 under a multilateral treaty known as the Montreal Convention, and said it had already given relatives $5,000 per passenger in compensation.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101522502

Last edited by cram_it_frog; 26-03-2014 at 06:20 PM.
cram_it_frog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2014, 06:16 PM   #483
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cram_it_frog View Post
First law suite submitted that was quick
'
I take back what I said about a Jumbo full of Lawyers on their way from 'Murrica.

They had arrived and were just waiting to pounce

Last edited by GasoLane; 26-03-2014 at 06:17 PM. Reason: The typo fairy struck again!
GasoLane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2014, 06:27 PM   #484
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB076 View Post
Yep and it has happened a few times and is what I suspect happened this time (although I am no expert)
Yeah, but why and how did it turn around though?
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2014, 06:47 PM   #485
cram_it_frog
wombat

gasolane mate the lawers are lineing up at the trough hoping for a feed

the ones who do get a client will make a nice profit
cram_it_frog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2014, 08:11 PM   #486
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

If it dropped out of the sky and into the Indian ocean, would it not have broken up as it free falled into the surface of the water? Cushions, luggage and what not would float. With no concrete evidence, as in something from the plane, the whole situation is wide open and the plane could be on the ground somewhere.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 26-03-2014, 08:17 PM   #487
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidpunx View Post
If it dropped out of the sky and into the Indian ocean, would it not have broken up as it free falled into the surface of the water? Cushions, luggage and what not would float. With no concrete evidence, as in something from the plane, the whole situation is wide open and the plane could be on the ground somewhere.
This is what I am thinking.

I know I am highly speculating and being somewhat cynical, but:

The fact that the rescue area is so far south and the opposite ends of where the original flight path was has me thinking they want our attention elsewhere while they have the plane kept somewhere else.

I just think its all too suspicious with no evidence and pure hearsay.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 26-03-2014, 09:35 PM   #488
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
This is what I am thinking.

I know I am highly speculating and being somewhat cynical, but:

The fact that the rescue area is so far south and the opposite ends of where the original flight path was has me thinking they want our attention elsewhere while they have the plane kept somewhere else.

I just think its all too suspicious with no evidence and pure hearsay.
I'm not discounting your theory, but who is the "they"you are referring to? Or are you just meaning "someone" in general?

Craig H

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2014, 10:18 PM   #489
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobimbo View Post
I'm not discounting your theory, but who is the "they"you are referring to? Or are you just meaning "someone" in general?

Craig H
That my friend, is the right question to ask, and the reason I am skeptical.

There is something that just does not add up. I don't know what or who it is.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 26-03-2014, 10:24 PM   #490
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

MALAYSIAN authorities say new satellite images from France have identified about 122 objects floating in the Indian Ocean, about 2557km from Perth.

Minister of Defence and Acting Minister of Transport Hishammuddin Hussein said the satellite images were taken on March 23.

He said objects ranged from 1m to 23m in length, and some were brightly coloured.

Malaysian authorities say they have received new satellite images of a possible debris field.

Mr Hussein said they received new satellite images from France yesterday.

“Australia, China and France have already released satellite images showing objects that may be related to MH370,” he said.

“Yesterday, on the 25th of March, the Malaysian Remote Sensing Agency (MRSA) received new satellite images from Airbus Defence and Space, which is based in France, and these images were taken on 23rd of March.”

Mr Hussein said the objects were located approximately 2557km from Perth.

“MRSA analysed the images and in one area of the ocean, measuring some 400 square kilometres, we were able to identify 122 potential objects,” he said.

“Some objects were a metre in length. Some were as much as 23m in length. Some objects appeared to be bright, possibly indicating solid material.”
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/f...-1226864848018
Old 26-03-2014, 10:32 PM   #491
Gaz
Got Ghia?

Only light is that if it did crash down there, australia will be doing the investigation and not Malaysia
Old 26-03-2014, 10:37 PM   #492
iCat
doof doof doof doof

There's this bloody great 'debris field' seen by satellites miles & miles up in the sky but we can't see didly at ground level? My ***. Ee Aw.
Old 26-03-2014, 11:13 PM   #493
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCat View Post
There's this bloody great 'debris field' seen by satellites miles & miles up in the sky but we can't see didly at ground level? My ***. Ee Aw.
Wonder when the last time they cleaned the lense on the satellites....
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2014, 01:16 AM   #494
chamb0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCat View Post
The sensors mounted on satellites aren't always operating in the visible light part of the electromagnetic spectrum like our eyeballs are. Sensors detecting other wavelengths can be used to determine different surface types, like distinguishing metal from water. This remote sensing analysis can be pretty complicated stuff. It would be difficult to physically follow up on these leads due to the dynamic ever changing ocean and the limitations on the search due to it being so vast and remote. Spotting debris among whitecaps would be a huge challenge I imagine.

Just an aside on the satellite stuff. Though it is a powerful tool it isn't the all-powerful, all-encompassing, real-time-all-seeing tool some seem to believe it to be. Like anything else there are limitations and tradeoffs when you're using equipment that might have limited availability, must obey the constraining laws of physics and so can't do everything well at once, while trying to see through the distorting lens of the atmosphere. Scanning a large remote area at fine resolution at short notice is not easy. If parts of it have indeed been scanned at 1m resolution that's a pretty decent achievement.
Old 27-03-2014, 06:23 AM   #495
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
Will this incident alone collapse MA with the flow on effect, or will they end up somehow legally finding a loophole?
you make it sound like they are the only airline to have ever had a hull loss

plus at this time can you point me to any evidence that shows Malaysian Airlines are themselves responsible for this crash?
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2014, 10:53 AM   #496
Robos F6

All this debris sited from the sattelites and still not one of them has been picked up and identified.
Robos F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-03-2014, 11:11 AM   #497
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx000 View Post
you make it sound like they are the only airline to have ever had a hull loss

plus at this time can you point me to any evidence that shows Malaysian Airlines are themselves responsible for this crash?
Not pointing to any blame, but looking at it from the shoes of the victims families and what they would do and how they would act. Sorry if this was not clear.

In the same light, there is only speculation from all angles and there still is no clear answer and little to no evidence to the cause. I would only conclude in my ignorant mind that the families would want some form of legal support behind them to get answers rather than settle on a text message.

This also would no doubt shake the airlines share prices in the mean time.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 27-03-2014, 11:29 AM   #498
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz
Only light is that if it did crash down there, australia will be doing the investigation and not Malaysia
Most likely will be the US authorities (FAA, Boeing etc) since it is a FAA Type Certified aircraft. They are hovering in the background. Its only the media that haven't noticed this.

People have to realise that aviation is never going to be 100% safe as they appear to assume. It never has been, its much safer than years ago however, only due to many things that have been learned from the past. This incident is blown out of proportions media wise mainly because nothing else has happened for quite a while, and that it is a mystery. Investigations resulting from this will further close up loopholes, but again, will never be 100% safe. It was only pure luck (due to the competence of the Aussie pilots on board) that the Qantas A380 QF32 incident didn't turn into a tragedy.

The flight data recorder and a subsequent proper investigation only, will reveal the true cause(s) of this incident.

Many comments here and in the media are not worth commenting on. People have to remember that debris sighted is well over 2000kms away from mainland in a treacherous ocean. We don't want any more deaths when attempting to recover items.

Last edited by Silver Ghia; 27-03-2014 at 11:47 AM.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-03-2014, 12:11 PM   #499
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robos F6
All this debris sited from the sattelites and still not one of them has been picked up and identified.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
People have to remember that debris sighted is well over 2000kms away from mainland in a treacherous ocean. We don't want any more deaths when attempting to recover items.
Blam.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2014, 01:28 PM   #500
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Boss260 View Post
Yeah, but why and how did it turn around though?
Personally I think something went wrong, Pilots tried to turn back to land - tried to communicate, communications failed. pilots then rendered unconscious plane flew on until it ran out of fuel

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2014, 01:58 PM   #501
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB076 View Post
Personally I think something went wrong, Pilots tried to turn back to land - tried to communicate, communications failed. pilots then rendered unconscious plane flew on until it ran out of fuel
maybe
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2014, 02:42 PM   #502
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Heres what I don't get, and maybe someone can shed some light for me.

From details released the plane left KL at 0:40am.
The last radar ping was detected at 8:11 and it has been suggested that the plane had fuel for another 30 minutes making it run out somewhere around 8:40am.
This would suggest it had fuel for 8 hours of flight.

The distance from KL to Beijing is 2700 miles and takes about 6hrs.
From numerous searches it would seem that planes carry enough fuel for the trip plus enough for diversions etc. and has been estimated at about 500miles worth, or approximately 70 minutes.
This would suggest a range of 3200 miles at 400m/hr.
Understand that my calculations are not fact, but guestimates based on research.

This would 'fit' with early reports that rogue nations like NK and PAK were quite within reach.

The reported search area is approximately 2500 miles south west of Perth which one would assume is near a place called Port Aux Francais.
Port aux Francais is 2650 miles and 5.5hrs flight time south west from Perth
A news report earlier this week claimed it took them 5 hrs to reach the search area in an Orion.
So that fits.

The problem im having is that the search area if my calculations are correct, is about 4100 miles from KL as the crow flies.
If the plane left KL, travelled north for an hour, turned left and flew across the Malacca straight before heading south and crashing in the reported search area then this plane flew for something like 4500-5000 miles.

Now, one would assume that a Malaysian owned plane wouldn't be fuelled up for much more than it needed as it becomes uneconomic.

My question is, how does a plane fuelled for 7 hrs of flight, travel 4500+ miles in 8hrs.

It just doesn't seem plausible.
Perhaps our resident pilots could shed some light.

I believe this plane may be found in the search area, but I doubt they will find bodies...
Eye witness accounts have claimed a large passenger plane was sighted flying south over the Maldives, Diego Garcia is due south of the Maldives.
If this sighting was MH370 it could easily have landed at Diego Garcia, unloaded and then sent on its merry way to the reported search area to be discovered 2 weeks later.

Last edited by BENT_8; 27-03-2014 at 02:54 PM.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-03-2014, 02:53 PM   #503
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Heres what I don't get, and maybe someone can shed some light for me.

From details released the plane left KL at 0:40am.
The last radar ping was detected at 8:11 and it has been suggested that the plane had fuel for another 30 minutes making it run out somewhere around 8:40am.
This would suggest it had fuel for 8 hours of flight.

The distance from KL to Beijing is 2700 miles and takes about 5.5hrs.
From numerous searches it would seem that planes carry enough fuel for the trip plus enough for diversions etc. and has been estimated at about 500miles worth, or approximately 70 minutes.
This would suggest a range of 3200 miles at 400m/hr.
Understand that my calculations are not fact, but guestimates based on research.

This would 'fit' with early reports that rogue nations like NK and PAK were quite within reach.

The reported search area is approximately 2500 miles south west of Perth which one would assume is near a place called Port Aux Francais.
Port aux Francais is 2650 miles and 5.5hrs flight time south west from Perth
A news report earlier this week claimed it took them 5 hrs to reach the search area in an Orion.
So that fits.

The problem im having is that the search area if my calculations are correct, is about 4100 miles from KL as the crow flies.
If the plane left KL, travelled north for an hour, turned left and flew across the Malacca straight before heading south and crashing in the reported search area then this plane flew for something like 4500-5000 miles.

Now, one would assume that a Malaysian owned plane wouldn't be fuelled up for much more than it needed as it becomes uneconomic.

My question is, how does a plane fuelled for 7 hrs of flight, travel 4500+ miles in 8hrs.

It just doesn't seem plausible.
Perhaps our resident pilots could shed some light.

I believe this plane may be found in the search area, but I doubt they will find bodies...
Eye witness accounts have claimed a large passenger plane was sighted flying south over the Maldives, Diego Garcia is due south of the Maldives.
If this sighting was MH370 it could easily have landed at Diego Garcia, unloaded and then sent on its merry way to the reported search area to be discovered 2 weeks later.
It's because it isn't plausible. Dissertations like yours are being ignored by the media due to nothing that has been presented to the world makes any sense. The story has changed that many times, even the most OCD number crunchin' folk would have lost track.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, something smells extremely fishy about the whole episode. The problem is, anything anyone puts forward is educated speculation at best. Due in no small part to an almost complete silence from the FAA and Boeing.

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-03-2014, 03:06 PM   #504
MAD
Petro-sexual

One possible partial answer is that debris can travel a fair distance in 3 weeks in ocean currents.
Old 27-03-2014, 03:18 PM   #505
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD View Post
One possible partial answer is that debris can travel a fair distance in 3 weeks in ocean currents.
Possible, yes, but the first reports of supposed wreckage sightings in the area was from satellite imagery soon after the disappearance, not 3 weeks later.
They have been looking there for over a week now and still not 1 confirmed piece of debris.
Old 27-03-2014, 03:23 PM   #506
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Possible, yes, but the first reports of supposed wreckage sightings in the area was from satellite imagery soon after the disappearance, not 3 weeks later.
They have been looking there for over a week now and still not 1 confirmed piece of debris.
The only think I can comment on is the speed you use for the plane of 400km/h. These types of aircraft go around double that when cruising.

You are none the less correct in that the more we learn, the more questions are raised.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2014, 03:25 PM   #507
Brendo_GSUte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
It's because it isn't plausible. Dissertations like yours are being ignored by the media due to nothing that has been presented to the world makes any sense. The story has changed that many times, even the most OCD number crunchin' folk would have lost track.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, something smells extremely fishy about the whole episode. The problem is, anything anyone puts forward is educated speculation at best. Due in no small part to an almost complete silence from the FAA and Boeing.
Yeh so true, theres so many plot holes and things that dont fit in with the sequence of events.

I still think thier being held hostage. If i remember one of the relatives called a mobile phone and it rang, this hasnt been publicly followed up on. Also in early reports the satellites said the plane was consiously avoiding known radar areas.

As for the passed out theory oxygen masks drop from the panels above automatically. i dont know how long they last for though, maybe someone experienced can weigh in with an accurate time of a fully loaded plane?

Also why no mayday from the pilots? Wouldnt you send a mayday before trying to fault find the cause before pulling you communication circuits?

Im looking to swap my chrome roll bars and soft tonneau with the cut outs on my GS ute for just the normal FG FPV soft tonneau cover. Basically i want to do away with the chome bars

Im from Perth so it would be easier if someone from Perth is willing as well. I will drive to you as well.
Brendo_GSUte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2014, 03:34 PM   #508
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
The only think I can comment on is the speed you use for the plane of 400km/h. These types of aircraft go around double that when cruising.

You are none the less correct in that the more we learn, the more questions are raised.
If that is true, why does it take 5hrs and 35 minutes to fly KL to Beijing?

2700miles in 5.5 hrs is only 490m/hr.

They may be able to cruise at Mach .84, but that is only 600m/hr and would burn considerably more fuel decreasing the range.

Oops, just realised you wrote 400km/hr, im talking 400 miles an hour. so im right on the money, give or take.

Last edited by BENT_8; 27-03-2014 at 03:42 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 27-03-2014, 03:47 PM   #509
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent guide for headlamp repair. 

Quote:
If that is true, why does it take 5hrs and 35 minutes to fly KL to Beijing?

2700miles in 5.5 hrs is only 490m/hr.

They may be able to cruise at Mach .84, but that is only 600m/hr and would burn considerably more fuel decreasing the range.

Oops, just realised you wrote 400km/hr, im talking 400 miles an hour. so im right on the money, give or take.
Don't forget to factor in the rotation of the earth when making completely pointless calculations.
Headlights don't work in your B Series? Here's how to fix it!
martinijosh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2014, 03:55 PM   #510
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinijosh View Post
Don't forget to factor in the rotation of the earth when making completely pointless calculations.
Why are they pointless calculations?

Ive never claimed to be pin point perfect, but it doesn't take much intelligence to realise that a plane fuelled up for a maximum of 7hrs flight cant travel for 8 hrs and the best part of 5000 miles surely.

And lest face it...

2 Iranian passengers had stolen passports.
5 passengers checked their luggage in and didn't board.
The initial search was where it lost radar in the Gulf of Thailand, despite the fact that it flew for another 7 hrs and they would have known that.
Now they are searching in an area where the plane couldn't have reached considering its fuel load for the original destination.

Shall I go on...