Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-09-2009, 03:22 PM   #301
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Mmm I really don't know till I see them live, I have been a fan of R8's and Senators for a long time but this new rear end certainly doesn't look appealing atm......
Agree with a previous poster about this new range of wheels,apart from the white R8 wheels the others look to have gone too ala Tempe tyres.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2009, 03:25 PM   #302
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
6 Pots are yellow = gheyyyyyy
Steady up. I was thinking how good yellow 6 pistons would look on my rapid GT
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2009, 03:33 PM   #303
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
Steady up. I was thinking how good yellow 6 pistons would look on my rapid GT
Dark metallic yellow with red writing looks quite good actually....not that I am biased
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2009, 03:44 PM   #304
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
I have just read through the HSV site on the new models and have made this observation:

The HSV GTS is the Holden equivalent of the FPV GTP although....

Auto costs $2000 as opposed to No Cost Option
Full size spare is not included and costs $695 as opposed to included at no cost
6 spot brakes cost $3790 as opposed to standard feature

Possibly there is a price position issue starting to appear?

While true the FPV product still misses out on a lot and the list just got bigger.

There is no adjustable suspension or 20 inch rim option let alone standard and the wheels we do have are under tyred. So while we might get a full size spare, HSV counter with substantially more contact on the road and I think that’s worth something.

In these times I think all manufacturers will be seeing a need to be price sensitive. In many ways it has to be a credit to HSV to get some of the technical innovations into the package without much of a price penalty.

The GT-P brakes might be 6 pistons but are only about the equivalent of the four spotters from HSV. If the 6 piston option on the GTS is a direct W427 package (and I don’t know because I haven’t researched it) then the sweep area/clamping area will have increased well above that of the GT-P.

Then you get into areas where the front seat passenger is treated the same as the driver for seat adjustment in the HSV while the FPV cars they are not.
Then you get into head lights and so on.

I am surprised the auto option is as expensive, but given it is the GTS we are talking about and its hardcore attitude to life, it probably makes sense. Be interesting to see how the stiffer again GTS works in the urban jungle.

Bang for buck, in terms of features, I think HSV have our number. Does that translate into being a better product to live with, is not for me to say.

Right now if I were to order a new car I would add the GTS and the Senator to the short list. I really do appreciate the engineering under the skin of these cars, but I can't stand the Holden interior. It’s where I live and it’s in my face all the time and it’s just ordinary. It’s been that way since inception.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
Old 09-09-2009, 03:49 PM   #305
Bundy
All Ford Club Life Member
Donating Member3

I've just worked out why all the disaproval on the Ls1 site on this one...

no place to but he chevy badge on the front grill

Worked AU XR8 Ute - Toy

Std FG XR6T Ute - Daily

Supercharged BA 6 Ute - Wife's daily

351W F150 93 XLT 4x4 Supercab
Bundy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2009, 03:52 PM   #306
Homer
Poor IT dude

hmm, looks like HSV need to turn the heat down a little...
Homer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2009, 03:53 PM   #307
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Dark metallic yellow with red writing looks quite good actually....not that I am biased
Do brembo do a color card??

Old 09-09-2009, 03:55 PM   #308
HSE2

They do if you count red, black and YELLOW as a full deck
Old 09-09-2009, 03:59 PM   #309
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I think they do blue, silver and "mustard" too...

Old 09-09-2009, 03:59 PM   #310
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Are they SUPPOSED to look like Focus???

And what is the point of the chquered flag badge? Just another excuse to get the logo on the car?
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2009, 04:03 PM   #311
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
On the datto they are gold with red , KTM they are silver with silver, BMW they are black with red.......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2009, 04:04 PM   #312
Cheese3
The BEST Falcon is the AU

since they canned the G8 over stock of those bonnets it seems!!!!
Cheese3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2009, 04:07 PM   #313
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The bonnet is too much... i could "live" with the rest of it, but the bonnet is "over-riced"....

Old 09-09-2009, 04:30 PM   #314
JutroXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I looks like the Ford Forum actually likes the HSVE2 more than the guys on the LS1 Forum...

http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=125142

It doesn't look like they like the rear end all that much. They have even likened it to the Aurion TRD rear end.

FGX XR8, Auto, Black.

WG Fiesta ST Manual, Black.
JutroXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2009, 04:36 PM   #315
Noddy
Mercury Silver T3

Geez hsv have really screwed the pooch with this new design. Had quick read of some local and US forums and blogs sites and the general consensus is not good. It will be interesting to see how the new look sells and if there will be a measured drop in hsv sales. If they were to read ls1 alone and they do they would have to be deflated by the negativity.

2017 Magnetic Mustang

What to hear a tuff T3?
Click here
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y30...ent=Movie2.mp4
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2009, 04:39 PM   #316
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

First time HSV have dropped the ball since The "Y" Series.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2009, 04:42 PM   #317
The Monty
Just slidin'

That is the most horrible bunch of cars Ive ever seen. Im glad FPV didnt make new wheel designs, if they would have looked anything like this, I mean, 3 spokers?
Sorry, but they are ghastly, the original VE grew on me a bit, and I loved the wagons, but the new ones are ugly, and the wagon looks by far the worst car Ive ever seen. Someone from Ssangyong must have got a job in the design department.
They should have a slogan "when a ricer gets of hold of a Ssangyong. you get a HSV".
Shocking and horrible, ***shakes head*******bleaches eyes********has some Panadein Forte for the headache*****
Old 09-09-2009, 04:45 PM   #318
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like the front, looks great. Would have preferred the LEDS under the headlight Audi style and love the scoops, looks tough.

The rear bar and wheels aren't nice but I will have to wait to see in the flesh.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2009, 04:47 PM   #319
JutroXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=The Monty]Someone from Ssangyong must have got a job in the design department.[QUOTE]

It's funny coz it's probably true.....lol

FGX XR8, Auto, Black.

WG Fiesta ST Manual, Black.
JutroXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2009, 05:05 PM   #320
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JutroXR8
They have even likened it to the Aurion TRD rear end.
I liked the rear end of that car
Old 09-09-2009, 05:43 PM   #321
XYG:THO
Starter Motor

HSV has been beaten down with the ugly stick....

someone in the design studio has obviously been playing way to much need for speed underground 2!

massive try-hard evo looking front with 10X pointless intakes, they make the FPV 'warpaint' look amazing...

HSV FAIL on cosmetics and need to pick up a 'less is more' approach.
XYG:THO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2009, 05:45 PM   #322
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bundy
I've just worked out why all the disaproval on the Ls1 site on this one...

no place to but he chevy badge on the front grill
bahhahaa
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2009, 05:55 PM   #323
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

There are three key criteria that this type of vehicle must meet.

1. It must achieve visual differentiation from the donor vehicle that is easily discernible.
2. It must provide additional ego massaging for the intended buyer.
3. It must offer something more than alternatives in keeping with the pricing.

From a styling perspective it is clear that HSV are continuing to push the envelope in their competition with the Holden based performance models - as much because their market expects solid differentiation from the less expensive models which is something we continually gripe about with the FPV product. Can't have it both ways.

The headlight black out treatment that some of the current FPV range adopted was roundly criticised here yet it is really the only strong frontal difference at 100 metres whereas those models that don't get this treatment (despite being more expensive) are almost impossible to pick at any distance.

From that point of view, this new design will achieve that goal from almost any angle and because that is an important consideration the styling cues are valid. Whether they are cohesive or not is a different matter. The DRL's should have been better integrated into the headlights as they look tacked on but the rest of the frontal styling is aggressive and unmistakeable if perhaps a little lacking in a single dominant theme. Target 1 met.

The rear will colour sensitive in as much as it works ok in some colours (on some derivatives) but is too busy in others. The placement of the chequered flag / lion badge is poor - particularly on the utes but then there are so many other badges at the rear there wasn't anywhere else to sensibly put it.

The technical additions (particularly in light of almost no price change) are good and provide some additional enthusiast oriented value and the spread of personalisation options through the range is to be applauded. Perhaps FPV could take a leaf from that book? They have been promising vehicle personalisation for the last five years but it still seems to be far from a reality at this stage. Target 2 met.

The wheels are busy but that shouldn't worry their target audience with the Senator wheels perhaps being closest to matching the design cues in the rest of the vehicle.

It will undoubtedly sell in reasonable volumes. It has that look at me presence that buyers in this segment expect and when you see them on the street the mismatches in the styling cues will not be obvious and they will stand out.

The extra power in the GTS was to be expected once it returned as a model, it being the HSV philosophy to offer the premium punter a little bit more for their hard earned. Target 3 met.

Someone said earlier in the thread that this was a free kick for FPV but with the added value now in these HSV cars and meeting the three key criteria for this style of vehicle may not prove to be the case.

Interesting times ahead.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2009, 05:57 PM   #324
WASP
Whipple Induced

I think this picture provides a more realistic profile of the GTS

Old 09-09-2009, 06:09 PM   #325
FOMOCO 1
Munch Munch GM's 4 Lunch

Please erase that last post CDAA..............Get it away.
Looks like Darth Vader had sex with a storm trooper.
FOMOCO 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2009, 06:19 PM   #326
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

something tells me the designers got paid by the hour and they just dragged it out. Looks horrid.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2009, 06:23 PM   #327
HSE2

Hi Colville.

Don’t suppose you have seen the pictures of E1 and E2 together on the ls1 site. E2 while busy in some eyes does make E1 look dated and old.
It does make a visual statement and continues the separation from the donor product.
Their (HSV) desire to create a product that has distinctive looks and separates it from the donor car has to be admired. Unfortunately in this price range there is little movement to carry out that execution. Day time running lights as a feature is desirable but funding pressure means their execution or placement leaves a bit to be desired. Are HSV worse off for trying? I doubt it. Once people see these cars in the metal I think there will be a swing of opinion.

For whatever reason most new models really seem to be colour sensitive. That GTS picture for me just hits home that the car is just slightly overdone. The black out front treatment on the GTS could have stopped at the bumper line or the introduced frontal crease line and still achieved a strong visual statement.
Some goes for the rear. E1 was already a pretty standout car in terms of separation. Unique tail lights, Ferrari diffuser and quad pipes. The E2 takes one step too far with updating the central theme but introducing the distraction of the rear bumper cut outs.
The strength of the package however lies underneath the skin in its engineering and feature set. We should be thanking HSV for this car because its pricing certainly won’t be giving FPV any free kicks.
That’s a win for us.

A bigger question now will be how FPV react to the problem child in the line up. Will they stick to the same power across the line up of V8 cars or will they too try to take the GT-P to a level where it can fight on an equal footing to the GTS. Can’t wait to see the reaction.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:29 PM   #328
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Your HSV is so ugly, it makes blind kids cry!!!

But seriously, this thing looks like it took a nose dive outta the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down, before planting it in the the ugly pavement and then getting treated at the ugly hospital, by the ugly doctors with ugly medicine and ugly bandages.

I like the wheels though.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2009, 06:35 PM   #329
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: All your effort in keeping me sane and on-track. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For her honest, direct and helpful advice to members. The content of her posts help many members on the forum and most times, turn a very negative thread into a postive one. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOMOCO 1
Please erase that last post CDAA..............Get it away.
Looks like Darth Vader had sex with a storm trooper.
My first reaction was Darth Vader and Barbie had a baby! I have always secretly loved the GTS but not now. Aftermarket guys will be brassed off - there is nothing left to shove on the car.

What were they thinking? I've always liked HSVs styling but this is just too much and so busy. The GTS would have looked so much better with the W427 front insert. It looks like they asked every Holden fan in the 18 - 20 age group to throw an idea into the hat and then went with every single one!

Do like the wheels on the GTS - they usually do their wheels well.

Gaela

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Fact is Gaela's GTP IS the quickest NA Boss 290 Sedan now (by a long shot)
The precedent of stripping weight and using full slicks was set years ago now.

So if you want to beat em, ya gotta join em, and being manual makes the time even more credible.
GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2009, 06:35 PM   #330
XRT-HOWSEE
Blown FPV GS 315

I will be interested in seeing one in the flesh, but I really don't like what they've done with the back.

FPV GS 315 sedan
Black w/ Silver stripes
442rwkw
XRT-HOWSEE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post