Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-12-2010, 03:08 AM   #1
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Wikileaks discussion

http://www.twincities.com/ci_16758832?nclick_check=1

Most interesting thing I've read in ages, amazing how powerful one man can be.

(Not sure if this is against the site rules, as he's attacking controversy and this article is about the man and his website not the controversial "secrets" he exposes, but if that's still inappropriate then by all means delete).

Old 04-12-2010, 04:35 AM   #2
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Julian Assange is a grand standing XXXXker and if what he has ILLEGALLY released leads to one persons death he should be executed . Look at Me Look at Me look at Me grandstanding XXXXker .
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2010, 08:09 PM   #3
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongwaynorris
Julian Assange is a grand standing XXXXker and if what he has ILLEGALLY released leads to one persons death he should be executed . Look at Me Look at Me look at Me grandstanding XXXXker .
I totally agree. Assange is a pompous, self important windbag who claims to have some sort of right to distribute information he aquired through dubious means.
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2010, 08:12 PM   #4
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob
I totally agree. Assange is a pompous, self important windbag who claims to have some sort of right to distribute information he aquired through dubious means.

So the thread goes quiet and you decide to add what to the discussion?
Seriously ?
If your idea of discussion is to insult or degrade someone without even having a go at explaining why you disagree with him then why bother posting??

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2011, 10:31 AM   #5
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
So the thread goes quiet and you decide to add what to the discussion?
Seriously ?
If your idea of discussion is to insult or degrade someone without even having a go at explaining why you disagree with him then why bother posting??
Everyone is entitled to their opinion of him, even if that differs from your own.

You can now ask Mr Assange anything too!
http://www.askthewikileaksguy.com
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2011, 10:42 AM   #6
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Everyone is entitled to their opinion of him, even if that differs from your own.

And you miss the point on how to discuss a topic/ person...
Ill give an example, I think your pompass moron.

And when asked why I think this, I wont give an explanation....
Thats not a discussion....
If i cant give reasons why I think this, then why should I bother to say anything ?

How about I turn it into a car related topic...
"I think Holdens are crap"... why?
"I just do"

Old 09-01-2011, 04:28 PM   #7
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG

Hahaha...

PF ftw.

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2010, 07:25 AM   #8
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

If the government have nothing to hide, then they shouldn't be worried, the truth hurts huh
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2010, 08:19 AM   #9
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

The site was shut down due to attacks and he is under threat of jail or even assassination. Powerful or not, I wouldn't want to be in his shoes.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2010, 08:34 AM   #10
ThaFlash
Trusted Seller

I hope someone wastes him, he reminds of one of those terrorists in Die Hard 1, send in the SAS....
ThaFlash is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2010, 09:36 AM   #11
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

How he is a bad person? Like an above post...if the government had nothing to hide to begin with...

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2010, 09:44 AM   #12
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
How he is a bad person? Like an above post...if the government had nothing to hide to begin with...
Governments ( like all of us ) do have things to hide in the interests of national security and the safety of their citizens and agents . If there were no Kim Jong Ils , Osama Bin Ladens , Pol Potts , Adolf Hitlers , Josef Stalins , Nikolai Chaucescu's , Fidel Castro's et al et al et al . You may begin to have a point but the world is not a rosy place .

So to follow your logic you'd be perfectly happy with people rifling through your garbage and or email account etc etc and releasing your medical records , your banking details , your salary details , your sexual leanings , what kind of things you look at on the net or order online , transcripts of your phone conversations etc etc etc . you know the kind of things where there is an expectation of privacy let alone legislation to keep it private as in the case of diplomatic and military communications . The facebook generation has a hell of a lot to answer for.

Last edited by wrongwaynorris; 04-12-2010 at 09:53 AM.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:26 PM   #13
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My understanding of Wikileaks is, that it exposes fraudulent and/or suppressed information, relating to policies and actions by often corrupt governments and corporations, which can lead to thousands of deaths of innocent people.

And people want to take issue with Wikileaks for maybe causing the death of a handful of people working for these corrupt governments/corporations/groups/whoever? Really???

Imagine how many lives could be saved if governments weren't given free reign to wage wars on false pretenses without fear of being exposed?

Only recently a few ex members of the FBI publically claimed the 9-11 attacks could have been averted if Wikileaks had existed back then. Intelligence was ignored, glaring airport security issues were discovered, and ignored. If these people had a safe way to make this information known, without killing their career, they would have done so.

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/...,5616717.story

The world NEEDS Wikileaks. Julian Assange is a hero, soon to be martyr I'd say. Why do you think the US government wants him dead? Because he's getting in the way of all the good, selfless work they're doing to help the world become a better place? Wake up!! Stop believing EVERYTHING that your forced fed by the pathetic media who’s agenda is entirely controlled by the very people Wikileaks is exposing.

Quote:
Julian Assange is a grand standing XXXXker and if what he has ILLEGALLY released leads to one persons death he should be executed . Look at Me Look at Me look at Me grandstanding XXXXker.
So to put your thinking in simple and blunt terms: Who cares about the millions of innocent dead in the middle east, as long as zero army personnel is lost.

Am I right? I hope not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP4ME
why does the pope roll around in a bullet proof car if he is ordaned by GOD!

why is he (assange) in hiding, if he hasn't done anything wrong?

i wish that peice of maggot filth was not born here, a low life dirty rat fink albino terrorist bastard that usually appears in 007 flix and I can't wait till he dissapears for good.

aussies don't roll like that....

I don’t know whether to laugh or cry. He is in hiding because the US government wants him dead! And no, thats not some crazy conspiracy theory. I saw footage on tv last night of a US government official saying he wants Julian Assange assassinated.

I'm pound that this guys an Aussie.

Quote:
Governments ( like all of us ) do have things to hide in the interests of national security and the safety of their citizens and agents . If there were no Kim Jong Ils , Osama Bin Ladens , Pol Potts , Adolf Hitlers , Josef Stalins , Nikolai Chaucescu's , Fidel Castro's et al et al et al . You may begin to have a point but the world is not a rosy place .

So to follow your logic you'd be perfectly happy with people rifling through your garbage and or email account etc etc and releasing your medical records , your banking details , your salary details , your sexual leanings , what kind of things you look at on the net or order online , transcripts of your phone conversations etc etc etc . you know the kind of things where there is an expectation of privacy let alone legislation to keep it private as in the case of diplomatic and military communications . The facebook generation has a hell of a lot to answer for.

Hardly an accurate analogy. Sticking with it though, say wikileaks was in the business of recieving information on joe publics private life, they wouldn't be releasing information on innocent people, who are doing nothing to harm others. They would only be recieving information on people with something to hide in the first place.

I agree that some government information needs to remain confidential, but I doubht anything that’s come out through Wikileaks would fall into that category.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2010, 01:23 AM   #14
Bobman
Regulator

Quote:
So to follow your logic you'd be perfectly happy with people rifling through your
Lol. National security. Government already spy on its citizens. So why should we be perfectly happy about that?

Remember that the USA passed legislation to enable tapping in on phone calls of regular citizens without court orders.

Good to see a site that stands up to Government and Government lovers all over the world!

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2010, 10:42 AM   #15
Barnaby

What people forget is that he supplies an outlet for OTHER people to leak stuff their government or company/employer does wrong and that ****ed them off.

Its not him, he just provides the outlet. Its ****ed off people like you and me who provide the content.

Whistle blowers bring down corrupt police forces, dodgy corporations and hopefully now, governments and security agencies that do stupid stuff in the name of "national security".

More power to him.
Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2010, 11:38 AM   #16
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
What people forget is that he supplies an outlet for OTHER people to leak stuff their government or company/employer does wrong and that ****ed them off. ........................

In the end they are trying to shoot the messenger (perhaps literally).

Wikileaks is just the publisher, it could just as easily been "Crikey.com" or "The Daily Mirror". If the leaks are an issue then this is an issue for the US Govt and the actual leak from within the Govt.

The leaks I've read have been quite embarrassing but hardly mission critical.

I'm surprised he doesn't have more support from the general media regarding their right to protect their sources.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:30 PM   #17
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks
Wikileaks is just the publisher, it could just as easily been "Crikey.com" or "The Daily Mirror".
Unfortunately, no. Wikileaks is the trailblazer here. They are the only organisation that has set up an extremely secure legal system to protect the whistleblower. Old media outlets will pull a story on threats from large advertisers and are no better than the cretins that Wikileaks exposes.

Public exposure on sites like this is the future. Shut them down and another head will pop up to take his place.
Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2010, 10:44 AM   #18
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

We all know wiki leaks covers all kinds of nasty stories, no need to go there or the thread will be closed.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2010, 11:00 AM   #19
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Can you tell me how exactly he's a grandstanding XXXXker? It's the mainstream media that's banging on about this story so much, and the idiotic public who are gobbling up what they say without getting a proper education in the subject. From what I've seen, Assange isn't above giving interviews and whatnot, but other than that I get the impression he'd rather be left alone.

Quote:
You may begin to have a point but the world is not a rosy place .
Yeah, you're right, the world isn't a rosy place. As wikileaks is showing us.

Quote:
Its not him, he just provides the outlet.
This. He's not doing the leaking, he's providing the outlet for the leaks. In the past, people would leak to journalists who would then take it to the public. Assange is just cutting out the middle-man.

Quote:
More power to him.
Yep.
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2010, 11:01 AM   #20
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

It's not like he is releasing defense strategy's or anything lol!! other than that, I cannot see how it will affect national security if the truth is told, and I know; I would want to be told the truth..

The people submitting admissions to him are in anonymity at their will, that is why it's all against him now. I must admit, I wouldn't want to be in his shoes, not because of legal issues, but fearing you have a bounty on your head..
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2010, 11:15 AM   #21
dogfish

Of Course Governments keep Secrets that's how things progress and move forward could you imagine all the problems and political stand offs that would happen if everything was exposed to the commoner (you and me) nothing would get done due to protest.
So if I had a friend or relative in a sensitive situation overseas and Wikileaks exposed him or her to unnecessary threats yeah I would want to skin him then kill him simple as that so you would have to be symphathetic to people wanting the site closed down purely on a humane level.
And anyway what would the conspiracy theorists do with their lives if there were no Government Secrets unemployment would go up heaps and people wouldn't try and astound you at parties with useless bits of information that no one really cares a toss about anyway

THE TOY:2003 CV8R Monaro 6Spd Manual.
dogfish is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2010, 11:40 AM   #22
ThaFlash
Trusted Seller

why does the pope roll around in a bullet proof car if he is ordaned by GOD!

why is he (assange) in hiding, if he hasn't done anything wrong?

i wish that peice of maggot filth was not born here, a low life dirty rat fink albino terrorist bastard that usually appears in 007 flix and I can't wait till he dissapears for good.

aussies don't roll like that....
ThaFlash is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2010, 11:50 AM   #23
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

He is grandstanding for sure, but is that a reason to hate him?

He has documentation that he will release the puts a spotlight on corruption in a major American bank. Should this not be released?

This is what the American Senator Ron Paul (Republican) had to say

Quote:
Re: Wikileaks- In a free society, we are supposed to know the truth. In a society where truth becomes treason, we are in big trouble.
I tend to agree, although I worry a lot about innocent people being harmed because of any leaks.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:22 PM   #24
gtfpv
GT

i have nothing against the man , in a world where civilians have barely no privacy or rights at all , and governments can ban you growing food in your backyard , and tax the air that you breathe ( carbon tax) . and people call a man exposing all this and more as a scumbag.
reminds me of an expression . people are so dumb now that you can cut them down , lower thier living standards ,send them to war, lock them up under suspician with out any right of defending themselves or being able to speak in defense of themselves, take away all thier privacy and rights , completely own the food they eat , water they drink, and air they breathe , and get them to thankyou for it .
regarding the thread title , i am very surprised the govt cant do this . but i'm sure if the guy gets assassinated , people will be happy for the govt .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2010, 12:22 PM   #25
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And yet again people on here make the most pathetic comments about killing someone...
Please shut the thread down as its apparent the usual crowd on here isnt interested in a discussion, but prefer to support "killing" someone who spreads the truth.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:26 PM   #26
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
And yet again people on here make the most pathetic comments about killing someone...
Please shut the thread down as its apparent the usual crowd on here isnt interested in a discussion, but prefer to support "killing" someone who spreads the truth.

i agree . close the thread
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2010, 06:37 PM   #27
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
i agree . close the thread
Now who's scared of thre truth coming out !
Old 04-12-2010, 06:44 PM   #28
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So wikileaks independantly ( through more than 2 sources ) verifies EVERYTHING they publish do they ? Like quality jouralists do , you know little things like establishing FACTS and other pesky little details that get in the way of sensationalism , gutter journalism ( although calling this journalism is legitimizing it way beyond what it is ) and making a buck . Assange is Vermin and I for one will be shedding no tears if he does end up dead or gaoled for life.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:04 PM   #29
XR6Runner
Sling Shot

Quote:
Assange is Vermin and I for one will be shedding no tears if he does end up dead or gaoled for life.
My question is the most important. Why do you feel this way?

I can give a great hypothetical example:
You are living your life normally, making ends meet, what ever, just living life normally. All of a sudden, the workplace your wife works at gets 100% destroyed by forces from the other side of the earth, in the name of anti terrorism. They hit the wrong target. Kill so many innocent, and GET AWAY WITH IT.

How do you feel?

This is just a basic view from those who live on the other side of the world. But according to the US, "All terrorists must die!".

Who are the real terrorists?

EDIT: "wrongwaynorris" - From your generalised responses and answers, you obviously have no idea, and also, like the many people who disagree with 'Wikileaks', have no clue, no idea, or plainly just dont give a rats *** about the innocent.

Just because they wear different cloths, live different lives, speak different languages, doesn't mean you should just not care. We are all humans. We are all equal. And when innocent die because of wrong doing, the wrongful shall be punished.

For how many years has the US government being wrong doing? Too many, and its great that somebody had the courage to stand up and make a difference.

EDIT 2: Makes me think you 'nay sayers' have something to hide your self.

Last edited by XR6Runner; 04-12-2010 at 07:13 PM.
XR6Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2010, 07:16 PM   #30
XR6Runner
Sling Shot

Quote:
So wikileaks independantly ( through more than 2 sources ) verifies EVERYTHING they publish do they ? Like quality jouralists do , you know little things like establishing FACTS and other pesky little details that get in the way of sensationalism , gutter journalism ( although calling this journalism is legitimizing it way beyond what it is ) and making a buck . Assange is Vermin and I for one will be shedding no tears if he does end up dead or gaoled for life.
Mate, Wikileaks make NO money or profit.
XR6Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post