Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 20-08-2006, 07:16 PM   #1
AU3 HERROD XR8
XR8 M8

Default Gauge pods on AU dash (or somewhere in the interior)

hey people, i just became a new member to the AU Club. I own an AUIII XR8 Herrod Enhanced. Anyway what i want to know is that ive seen the gauge pods on the BA's top centre console and it looks great, i was wondering has anyone seen gauge pods onan AU yet if so can use provide picture please i would really like to see them :voldar02:

AU3 HERROD XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2006, 07:18 PM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

It'd be very difficult to properly integrate them into the AU dash, theyd look out of place I think because there is nowhere to really put them.

Got any pics of yer car?
Old 20-08-2006, 07:29 PM   #3
AU3 HERROD XR8
XR8 M8

Hmmm, okay then i guess im going to have to find another way. thanks

Yeah i do, though im on my laptop atm and the pics are on the computer, ill have them in asap. Some specs of my ride though are:
19" Herrod Motorsport rims
full Herrod bodykit
Herrod lowered suspension
Herrod Motorsport exhaust system
these are just the main specs more performance parts and accessories
Old 20-08-2006, 07:43 PM   #4
b2tf
not here much anymore

Very nice, my ute has a few Herrod bits on it too. Are your rims the BBS style ones?
Old 20-08-2006, 07:49 PM   #5
AU3 HERROD XR8
XR8 M8

i thought i might've had a couple of piks somewhere in the laptop, and i was right

don't really know but here look for yourself here is a pic of my 19"s
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000471.JPG (22.7 KB, 128 views)
Old 20-08-2006, 07:55 PM   #6
BlackLS

Get a single DIN head unit, and then get a blank din sized plate (stainless steel would be my pick), cut circular holes in the blank plate and you can mount 3 guages in there.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2006, 07:56 PM   #7
AU3 HERROD XR8
XR8 M8

usually i don't like to show people my ride for the risk of them being taken and other people calling it there own, but since im in an enviroment with AU enthusiasts , ahh what the heck!
Old 20-08-2006, 08:08 PM   #8
AU3 HERROD XR8
XR8 M8

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Get a single DIN head unit, and then get a blank din sized plate (stainless steel would be my pick), cut circular holes in the blank plate and you can mount 3 guages in there.

thanks for that idea, also would it be a good idea to get a SS induction air intak kit (which is equite expensive) should i stick to the Tickford snorkal i have? Any ideas would be great!
Old 20-08-2006, 08:17 PM   #9
b2tf
not here much anymore

Re the SS Inductions - ive got one on the ute, its the Herrod one but it is juat a redbadges SS unit, and it does actually let a hell of a lot more air in - put your hand over it and rev and it will pull your hand in pretty hard. The diameter of the pipe is also a lot bigger.

However, if it wasnt fitted to the ute, I probably wouldnt pay the $600+ to get one.
Old 20-08-2006, 08:28 PM   #10
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Re the Guadge pod for AU, your best bet with an AU would be to manufacturer something to fit in the pod that sits in the middle of the dash down towards the bottom near where your ashtray is.

I think i can remember some of the older school sports cars having Guages down this way, and although they will not be easy to read they certainly would look more factory then trying to play with the actual dash itself.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2006, 08:41 PM   #11
AU3 HERROD XR8
XR8 M8

Hmmm, great ideas thanks alot, i also came up with something, how about trying to (somehow) moving the air conditioning controls to the RIGHT side of the cd/radio area where there is more space than the LEFT side of it, and maybe moulding in 2 or 3 gauge pods there,
it would take a lot of work i know, i'm just thinking would it be worth it and/or possible even, all ideas and opinions welcome
im not real keen on drilling holes in my dash just for some gauge, it would look to japanese import for my taste, i want to stick to the V8 clean and mean tradition
Old 20-08-2006, 09:05 PM   #12
clevoxc
V8 rumble

Another idea would be to get a pillar mount set of gauges. I'm pretty sure they are available for the AU and they look pretty good. Not much stuffing around to fit either.
clevoxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2006, 09:07 PM   #13
I6corp
Was V6corp

How about with Equib, they are thinking about making some carbon fibre bits for the AU, why not enquire if they could make a custom center console for you?
Planned Engine Mods: ; Extractors; Tickford CAI; Twin Mufflers; Shift Kit; Hi-Stall; Cam; ECU Flash
Bling Mods: Tinted Windows; JVC CD/DVD HU
Planned Bling Mods: TS50 Front; High Series bonnet; Rebel Skirts and Rear Bar; SL Springs; Clear Side Indicators; Rear Spolier; Mags
I6corp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2006, 10:08 PM   #14
AU3 HERROD XR8
XR8 M8

great idea, where/how can i contact them for an enquiry n info, i live in melb btw so i don't know if that makes a difference

__________________________________________________ _______
"Real cars don't make horsepower at the front wheels.. it lifts them!"
Old 20-08-2006, 10:17 PM   #15
I6corp
Was V6corp

Just post an enquiry thread in their forum bit, under site sponsers...

p.s let me know how it goes ;)
Planned Engine Mods: ; Extractors; Tickford CAI; Twin Mufflers; Shift Kit; Hi-Stall; Cam; ECU Flash
Bling Mods: Tinted Windows; JVC CD/DVD HU
Planned Bling Mods: TS50 Front; High Series bonnet; Rebel Skirts and Rear Bar; SL Springs; Clear Side Indicators; Rear Spolier; Mags
I6corp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2006, 07:12 PM   #16
AU3 HERROD XR8
XR8 M8

guys i did some measuring and analysing on my own and i relised that the numbers and symbols around the air conditioning controls themselves have lights behind them (obviously) that light up at night so it looks like a way bigger job then just making a custom centre console and moving the controls behind them, i have to make something like the original air condition numbers and symbols that can light up during the night. very tough job, if anybody has noticed soemthing that i have failed to mention and/or have ideas and opinions of thier own please tell
Old 21-08-2006, 10:35 PM   #17
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A friend is currently in the process of designing gauge holders for AU's. He is looking to replace the ash tray section and move the lighter socket across, the only down side is you will lose the ash tray. He has already made pods for BA/F, which are already becoming popular via selling them on e-bay.
My car will be the test mule, but i am not afraid as it will not be a half arsed attempt, he works in plastic moulding so he will be making it from start to finish.
I will keep you updated of the progress.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2006, 11:07 PM   #18
AU3 HERROD XR8
XR8 M8

that would be great, i also heard of gauge pods in the ashtray section, another downside to the is that its position is too low and that its hard to read them while driving,
love to hear ur updates on the ashtray gauges :P
Old 21-08-2006, 11:11 PM   #19
AU3 HERROD XR8
XR8 M8

wouldn't it be great if the AU's had the BA/BF interior, or centre console , love to drive something like that
Old 21-08-2006, 11:42 PM   #20
TEKILA
formerly AU_bullet

so you're the lucky bloke who bought that herrod AU, i've seen it advertised on carsales for a while now and ive seen the price drop.

great pick up mate, very envious.
TEKILA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2006, 10:24 AM   #21
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Hey. Hows it going, and welcome to the club. For a newbie, it may be worth checking out the Performance Sticky (Downloadable DOC file on performance mods).

I have modded the Center Console and it was hard enough as it is. I was only putting in two switches for driving lights and fog lights, and there was a fair bit of dash support behind it.

On the Centre console, the large empty space on the right, has plastic and steel mounting and support things for various parts of the dash. Unless you are going to redo the whole dash, I would say get a fairmont dash and mod that, as all the aircon stuff is moved to the very top, and you don't have the dials to stuff around with (thanks to climate control).... Plus, because the top of the fairmont dash is more square (compared to the rounded forte/futura/xr), you could mount a double gauge pod on the top more nicley....

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2006, 11:21 AM   #22
xr8ute
Back on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDXR8BLOKE
A friend is currently in the process of designing gauge holders for AU's
I'd be very interested in seeing how this turns out. Keep us up to date.

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2006, 06:02 PM   #23
AU3 HERROD XR8
XR8 M8

so you're the lucky bloke who bought that herrod AU, i've seen it advertised on carsales for a while now and ive seen the price drop.

great pick up mate, very envious.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks mate, yeah i know i was lucky to grab it (if it's the same car you're talking about) but yeah if not i got it for cheap aswell, the only problem i had with it which was why i bought it for cheap in the first place is because it was caught in the Melbourne flood so i had to take everything out and wait until it dried and i also had to get a new computer for it from Herrod, lucky though i got the new upgraded one while i was at it It's a beautiful car to drive and i don't see why the AU's cant be better than the BA's, BA's are way too heavy anyway and the new car's these days they all look alike, AU's really stand out when you know what your doing with them
Old 25-08-2006, 05:47 PM   #24
AU3 HERROD XR8
XR8 M8

ayy boys, have you's ever seen an BA centre console only, in an AU? if so can you's post some pics up?