Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 29-07-2006, 10:07 AM   #1
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default factory vs aftermarket cat back exhaust

im just wondering what differences people have noticed in fitting a 2.5" cat back to an AU I6. Im thinking that there wouldnt be much difference over the factory 2.25" apart from having 1 or no mufflers.

so if you could post what brand it is and what the difference was, im trying to get an idea for going full system or cat back and trying to decide on 2.5" or 3".

Thanks
Bodie

bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2006, 12:16 PM   #2
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

I dont have an exhaust, but i would say 2.5" is the go.

Most people have them ,and its difficult to set a 3" up without losing some back presure and thus losing performance.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2006, 12:22 PM   #3
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

cat back 2.5" exhaust is well worthwhile on its own a good mod evene without ectractors. With extractors it all starts to work very well.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2006, 09:40 PM   #4
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbays
cat back 2.5" exhaust is well worthwhile on its own a good mod evene without ectractors. With extractors it all starts to work very well.
Don't have the cash for extractors, but when the exhaust needs replacing on the SR, the 2.5 will be the go. Will I need a new cat? I've heard mixed opinions on this. Some say the stock one flows ok, others say get a freer flowing one.

What are your thoughts?

Price for a 2.5 twin muffler system is about $300 right? The cat is about $125? Am I in the ball park?

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2006, 09:34 AM   #5
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

A 2.5" catback exhaust with one free flow muffler before the rear axle and a resonator after and a decent exhaust tip should come in under $350. This will sound good and give a small power increase. A high flow cat is a waste of time power wise unless yours is old or blocked. I got one but felt I got conned into it by exhaust guy to lazy to weld up the std cat which I believe on an AU will flow more than any six will need.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2006, 09:47 AM   #6
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbays
A 2.5" catback exhaust with one free flow muffler before the rear axle and a resonator after and a decent exhaust tip should come in under $350. This will sound good and give a small power increase. A high flow cat is a waste of time power wise unless yours is old or blocked. I got one but felt I got conned into it by exhaust guy to lazy to weld up the std cat which I believe on an AU will flow more than any six will need.
Cheers,

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2006, 10:24 AM   #7
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so what about the redback and HM exhausts on ebay for around $300 - $350 + postage? are they any good or is it better to go to an exhaust shop and get either an off the shelf or custom one? its just that i live in alice springs, and theres only really one decent shop here lol
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post