Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-07-2006, 09:26 AM   #31
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSSII
Organising stamping presses and the like is a MASSIVE job. For this reason alone there is no way they would have taken a backward step creating old cars. But really, as if! I can see it now.. "Uh Mr SMITH, that new VE you ordered.. Well we had a few hiccups and it's now a VZ. Hope you don't mind. Here, as a consolation here's some mats and headlight protectors. Hope this make up for it."
"A few floor mats and headlight protectors??? Is that all"

"Well, Mr Smith, that is $3000 worth of extras.... perhaps I could talk my manager into giving you free aircon on your VZ...." lol

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2006, 01:23 PM   #32
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyXR6Turbo
Remember, VE wagons and utes aren't due until late 2008 so we will see VZ's for a while to come.
I wouldn't be surprised if the VZ wagon is the last to be made at Holden.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2006, 01:26 PM   #33
MightyXR6Turbo
Boooostn'

vztrt - Yeah, my self and a few other people are of the same opinion. There are a couple of factors that decide it. Firstly being overall sales of the VE, if they are good, then that permits cash to be spent on replacing VZ models. Secondly current sales of VZ wagons, if they are good then it is another good indication they will go ahead with it, and finally what Ford actually does with the wagon. All these factors will contribute to if Holden build a wagon or not in VE.

1979 XD Fairmont Ghia - Silver, 302C V8, Full velour interior, slowly building her up to be a tough cruiser!

2002 Nissan Patrol ST - Desert Gold, 4.8L DOHC 6cyl petrol (Soon to be reequipped with a 5.7L LS1 V8), 5speed auto, lifted, locked, 33's, nature destruction vehicle!
MightyXR6Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2006, 02:05 PM   #34
Twinpiston
Finally rollin on 20's

I thought it was only till late 07, if so, that is a long time to run dual platforms!!!!
Twinpiston is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2006, 05:28 PM   #35
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinpiston
I thought it was only till late 07, if so, that is a long time to run dual platforms!!!!
They way Ford and Holden run their production lines, it's actually quite amazing that these cars dont have worse build quality than a Russian Lada. The operators should be fine.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2006, 08:08 PM   #36
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz
And since when do 'bogans' go out and buy brand new Holdens? Sure, a lot of them may drive VB-VL's but then again there is certainly no shortage of ford loving bogans either.
Get in touch with reality and stop making ridiculous comments.
Touched a nerve did I? What car do you drive stevez?
VB's to VL's - are you kidding?
If that's not the pot calling the kettle black over getting in touch with reality. Most Holden commodores on the road has some kind of mod done to them. Wheels, wings, dice, stickers, altezza's, body kits, suspension etc.

Most of these with the worst types of mods are VN's to VX's. Even Bogans get finance and ergo buy the latest commondore they can afford. I might add that all newish cars breaking traction and with seats reclined over 17.5 degrees seem to predominantly be Holden.

Don't believe me, try a little experiment.
Next time you are tailgated or cut off why don't you have a look at the badge the car is wearing. Yes, there are some ford bogans but old fords don't have the same appeal as commodores do to yobbo's and bogans. It's a simple statistically proven fact. There are more aftermarket parts for holden than ford and this will simply tell the tale of the demographic.

Now I realise that said kettle would be steaming by now so before you attempt some feeble reply, remember your post history. I could not find one post that was not anti ford and pro holden. You even argued with Casper. Whilst I can appreciate you like one brand over the other, bear in mind that the forum you are a member of is called Ford Forums, not Holden Forums. If all you are going to do is bag ford and claim that holden is to be the new messiah then you might like being around your peers in LS1. I didn't join LS1 because I like Fords instead. So again, if you like Holdens instead of Ford and all you wish to do is antagonise members who like ford then I suggest you go to the red corner at LS1. It aint rocket science dummy.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2006, 08:15 PM   #37
blackahcdx

seems like ford has stopped production too!

ords - Joe Kenwright

Shutdowns at Ford's Broadmeadows plant signal even larger issues affecting Australia's auto industry

Ford and Holden are facing component supply shortages which have already forced Ford to close its Broadmeadows operations at the end of last Thursday's afternoon shift, affecting 2000 workers.

The components are manufactured by the Huon Corporation and include critical door and window sealing assemblies. Staff at three Huon Corporation sites walked out in protection of redundancy entitlements after the company was placed in voluntary receivership last month.

Ford has committed to paying its line workers 60 per cent of their normal pay during Friday and Monday (July 21-24) shutdowns but after that the pay stops.

Over 500 workers at three Huon Corporation factories walked off the job a week ago including employees at Huon's Empire Rubber plant in Bendigo. CarPoint has confirmed that Huon also manufactures parts for a third party that supplies sub-assemblies to Holden for the VE Commodore and others believed to find their way into local Toyotas, also critical for vital export contracts.

Huon Corporation was placed into voluntary receivership last month. The company acquired two similar suppliers of automotive polymer and rubber products late last year in an effort to create a more efficient components operation.

The administrator initially sought to shed over 100 staff but couldn't pay out entitlements. The three Huon Corporation sites' 570 workers are seeking to protect redundancy entitlements, which some sources have placed at $30 million.

Industry insiders say the issue is complex with allegations related to the disposal of Huon Corporation assets already the subject of Supreme Court action. That said two ‘big picture' issues appear to be at the core of this latest round of automotive supplier woes.

As the Australian large car market shrinks, even combined volumes from local manufacturers may not be enough to keep some Australian parts suppliers viable. Not only faced with declining volumes that hinder any economies of scale, these parts suppliers must compete with aggressive newcomers.

There is every chance that the slower than expected take-up of the new Mitsubishi 380 has placed unsustainable loss of volume and pricing pressures on areas of the Australian component industry -- an issue that has been of equal concern to the other local carmakers.

Thailand, Malaysia, India and China all have component supplier bases desperate to increase volumes. As senior Ford sources have noted, most of these emerging nations have a cost base that has a 15 year lag before it will be as high as Australia's. In other words, when an Australian supplier goes up against an Asian supplier, it will be another 15 years before they are competing on a comparable cost base.

Australian suppliers and workers are being told to work smarter to cover the premium in wages and conditions.

With existing and expanded export aspirations Holden's position is arguably more critical – part of the reason why the company has hedged its bets with overseas suppliers. In the absence of a national government-backed strategy, Holden has moved to protect its interests to maintain operations and manage any restructure.

Logically Australia (and most other industrialised nations) will likely need to surrender some small-scale manufacturing when there are cheaper sources. Opportunities remain in design, development and tooling operations, where jobs are highly paid, not easily shifted and have a huge flow-on effect in local economies compared to manufacturing facilities with their decreasing dependence on manpower.

Ford Australia must currently recruit 150 engineers a year for the next 10 years to meet its global product development commitments. Both Holden and Toyota are undergoing a similar expansion process.

www.carpoint.com.au
blackahcdx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2006, 09:22 PM   #38
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
If that's not the pot calling the kettle black over getting in touch with reality. Most Holden commodores on the road has some kind of mod done to them. Wheels, wings, dice, stickers, altezza's, body kits, suspension etc. Most of these with the worst types of mods are VN's to VX's. Even Bogans get finance and ergo buy the latest commondore they can afford. I might add that all newish cars breaking traction and with seats reclined over 17.5 degrees seem to predominantly be Holden.
Saw a TV news item recently showing inside a Police warehouse with cars that had been impounded for various offences. 80% of them seemed to be Commodores!
Old 23-07-2006, 11:04 PM   #39
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
If that's not the pot calling the kettle black over getting in touch with reality. Most Holden commodores on the road has some kind of mod done to them. Wheels, wings, dice, stickers, altezza's, body kits, suspension etc.

Most of these with the worst types of mods are VN's to VX's. Even Bogans get finance and ergo buy the latest commondore they can afford. I might add that all newish cars breaking traction and with seats reclined over 17.5 degrees seem to predominantly be Holden.

Don't believe me, try a little experiment.
Next time you are tailgated or cut off why don't you have a look at the badge the car is wearing. Yes, there are some ford bogans but old fords don't have the same appeal as commodores do to yobbo's and bogans. It's a simple statistically proven fact. There are more aftermarket parts for holden than ford and this will simply tell the tale of the demographic.
Oh really. : You have just given me my laugh for the day.:
If you wake up out of your dreamworld and look at things sensibly and realistically you will realise that the Commodores you describe make up a very small percentage of total Commodores on the road. The majority of new and near new Commodores are driven by sensible and respectable people who are far from ever being bogans. My neighbour is a company executive with a $100k+ salary and drives a VZ Calais, oh hang on, according to you he must be a bogan. I suppose John Howard is a bogan because he gets driven around in a Caprice. All you are doing is making ridiculous generalisations and stereotypes saying that 'Holden is a bogans car' based on the actions of a few hoons who happen to drive a Holden.
Could you post a link to these "statistically proven facts", I'd love to see them.
And by saying that Holdens are a bogans car because there are more aftermarket parts available, you are suggesting that anyone with an interest in modifying cars is a bogan, so you have effectively labelled the majority of people on these forums as bogans.
The fact is that idiots/bogans drive all sorts of cars, be it Holden, Ford, Mitsubishi , Toyota, whatever, making silly generalisations like you have done just highlights your ignorance and small mindedness.

Oh, and for your info, I don't drive a Ford OR a Holden at the moment, but am looking at getting into a VE very soon.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2006, 11:08 PM   #40
jimmy_c
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAA
Highly unlikely jimmy. Last I heard (3 weeks ago)Ford had a stockpile of BF Falcon wagons to move, you shouldn't be waiting in theory.

I wish we were getting a new BF wagon. But no we will be stuck with a VZ. :

I feel sorry for all the people in these jobs who have to deal with these dodgey laws and deals.
jimmy_c is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2006, 09:18 AM   #41
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Hey, if it makes you feel better to make stupid proclamations like "wake up out of your dream world" and "look at things sensibly and realistically"; then I suppose it's whatever floats your boat, and good for you for saying so.
However, you so quickly disavow anything I have mentioned in my thread and accuse me of manufacturing facts, and accuse me of labelling everyone yet your attack is based on the same preposition. Who’s deluding whom?

A 100k plus neighbour in a Calais - what, you've never heard of a cashed up Bogan before? Do you even know what a Bogan is stevez? By the way, I'm still waiting for you to show where I said all commodore drivers are Bogans stevez. Can't prove it, well that's because I simply did not say all commodore drivers are Bogans, I did say that most Bogans are commodore drivers. Toyota and Mitsubishi? Come on man, they represent like what, 0.5%-1%.

Just because most Bogans prefer Holden over ford does not mean the brand is garbage. Fact of the matter is the overwhelming majority of Bogans drive Holden’s of some description that have mods done in the garage or backyard, proven by the amount of stolen commodores. Don't believe me? Well, try and insure a VT commodore and then insure an AU falcon. Which is more expensive indicating the higher rate of theft.

I must admit that you are right, not all commodores are driven by Bogans, young middle eastern males love them too. They do the angle grinder lowering jobs as well in their backyards. A number of them were also recently involved in a massive crime syndicate out of Bankstown in Sydney that basically shipped stolen exotics and commodores to Lebanon.
Fortunately the police shut this operation.

So I'm still waiting for you to show me where I said all commodore drivers are Bogans, but of the commodore Bogans who do things like joining a ford site and trying to antagonise members, I can tell a few things about them:

1/ They gamble and get angry when they lose.
2/ They think VB is the best beer out.
3/ They drink bourbon with coke, and thing Jim Beam black is the ultimate drink.
4/ They unquestionably vote labor at any and every election.
5/ They love metal, and think ACDC are the worlds best ever band.
6/ They watch big brother religiously, that being the only ritualistic thing they do.
7/ Their girlfriend is named Sharon, Cheryl, Leticia or Shyla.
8/ They own some description of flannel.
9/ They have and still do wear ugg boots out of the house.
10/ They have had at least 1 pregnancy scare before they turn 20.

Ring any bells reality boy?
Whilst I must admit satisfaction over getting one-eyed commodore guys into a lather and teasing them about joining ls1, you stevz take the cake. I think you'll find an overwhelming level of support at: http://www.justcommodores.com.au

Quote: