Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-07-2006, 11:54 PM   #1
Filthy GT-P
Saving Water Filthy again

Default What happened to Smokey 1

I was talking to a friend the other day and he mentioned Smokey 1. What happened to the car, the program and the "let's keep it on the track attitude" being displayed by the constabulary.

To me, the whole concept of Smokey 1 is a lot more constructive than just taking people's cars off them, but I suppose it is a lot easier for the politicians to bow to the "do gooders" they have advising them, instead of some people with some "common sense".

Regards

Steven

Old 09-07-2006, 12:02 AM   #2
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dont know what happened to the original but they are running smokey 3 and 4 now- XR6 Turbo Ute and SS Commodore
Old 09-07-2006, 12:06 AM   #3
Filthy GT-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd dad
Dont know what happened to the original but they are running smokey 3 and 4 now- XR6 Turbo Ute and SS Commodore
Where are they running them, and why no publicity?
Old 09-07-2006, 12:11 AM   #4
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd dad
Talking to the Officer driving the SS Commodore 3 weeks back at Calder, they have a few nice projects on the go.
There budget is almost all sponsorship from business doing the work for free.
Holden are donating a NEW car for them to race.
The XR6 T Ute was donated by Ford, it will under go some treatment soon by Prodrive. they are going to make it boogie.
Smokey 1 probably stored away in a shed somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy GT-P
Where are they running them, and why no publicity?
Almost every week at Calder, operation drag safe.
Last I heard we may have these 2 cars at our SEP 9 DRAG meet at Heathcote.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2006, 12:18 AM   #5
Filthy GT-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
Talking to the Officer driving the SS Commodore 3 weeks back at Calder, they have a few nice projects on the go.
There budget is almost all sponsorship from business doing the work for free.
Holden are donating a NEW car for them to race.
The XR6 T Ute was donated by Ford, it will under go some treatment soon by Prodrive. they are going to make it boogie.
Smokey 1 probably stored away in a shed somewhere.

Almost every week at Calder, operation drag safe.
Last I heard we may have these 2 cars at our SEP 9 DRAG meet at Heathcote.
So why don't they publicise their existence, there is nothing on the Victorian Police web site.

The police seem to cop a bashing for enforcing the law, they don't make the laws but have to enfore them. The existence of the cars should be a draw card to get people to Calder Park and "Keep it off the streets".

Are they prevented from any publicity to not be seen to "give the wrong impression" to the public, who don't know any better.

Steven
Old 09-07-2006, 12:22 AM   #6
SpoolMan

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

The only place I hear it advertised is triple m radio.
or there is a little info here:
http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content...cument_ID=3934

Old 09-07-2006, 02:19 AM   #7
RspecAU
BA GT-P Owner

Was smokey 1 a VH?
ON MAXXIS MAV1's 275/45/17 13.27 @ 106mph
RspecAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2006, 07:59 AM   #8
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy GT-P
I was talking to a friend the other day and he mentioned Smokey 1. What happened to the car, the program and the "let's keep it on the track attitude" being displayed by the constabulary.

To me, the whole concept of Smokey 1 is a lot more constructive than just taking people's cars off them, but I suppose it is a lot easier for the politicians to bow to the "do gooders" they have advising them, instead of some people with some "common sense".

Regards

Steven

Due to the common use of Commodores, and the Smokey Theme, they stopped numbering them when the LS1 come out. So many of them were smokey, they couldn't keep up with the system. Or the oil, for that matter!
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2006, 09:02 AM   #9
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

It's a good programme which needs to be promoted better. Now's a good time for the Vic Police to give it a push now that the anti hoon confiscation laws are in. Gotta get the message through to keep it off the streets and the time is ripe for some POSITIVE reaction from the Police.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2006, 09:47 AM   #10
SWOOP
XRSVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RspecAU
Was smokey 1 a VH?
IRC it was Vl bt1 turbo ,they also had American cop car aswell

I see the current one around my area a fair bit as a few locals sponsors them
SWOOP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2006, 10:04 AM   #11
Agent86
Not so low, not so slow.

Smokey 1 was indeed a VH v8, they updated to a VL-T when they really became popular.

but i believe they still called it smokey 1 .
Agent86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2006, 06:17 PM   #12
gbright
lovin every second of it

my dad actually tow's these cars to calder (i havnt heard many cars sounding gruntier than the commo round the street near my place) great bunch of guy's doing it there is also a BA sedan in the line up aswell the commo is just back on the track bout three weeks or so ago cause they stacked it and is getting some more work done should end up running high 11's with street slicks and this is a fully weighted car (nothing taken out)
Old 09-07-2006, 10:28 PM   #13
SpoolMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbright
commo is just back on the track bout three weeks or so ago cause they stacked it and is getting some more work done should end up running high 11's with street slicks and this is a fully weighted car (nothing taken out)
Yes it goes well and is full weight with all the bells and sirens.
Mods are a very nice rear end from John Taverna Chassis, tricked auto from DTM Geelong and Camshaft and edit tune by F1 Performance Blackburn.
12.1 few weeks back is a excellent result.

Old 10-07-2006, 09:39 PM   #14
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My son got a ride down the track in both cars at Heathcote when we were there a few weeks back, great bunch of people running these cars. He had a ball, came out with a grin like a split watermelon. Went from his car running 12.2 1/8th mile to Commodore running 12 sec 1/4 mile
Old 11-07-2006, 11:50 AM   #15
82XD393.3v
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i saw them a clader last month but they only drag each other I guess that so a cop always wins
would be better if they went through the line up and draged who every was next to them.
but i guess some people might get a little freaked seeing a cop next to them at the christmas tree and pull the shotty from under the drivers seat and take a couple of pot shots at them : :
Well there is a few people of middle eastern appearence that get down there :Up_to_som

FG F6 Manual 366RWKW tuned by BLUE POWER

82XD393.3v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2006, 02:58 PM   #16
jcxr
Tribal Elder

I saw the blue xr6 ute a couple of weeks ago with the "fairy lights" on, in my rear view mirror. Ha ha, hosed him. Good blokes though.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2006, 09:13 PM   #17
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They have run at a few local 1/8th mile tracks here. They ran in qualifying but withdrew at eliminations as not allowed to race for money, prizemoney that is.