Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-07-2006, 07:52 PM   #31
Brute6
Lurvin' my Ute!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
72% of Ford vehicles sold in June 06 are Australian made.
51% of Holden vehicles sold in June 06 are Australian made.

Holden means a great deal to Australia doesn't it.
.....And this is where Ford doesn't get the credit it derserves

HERS: SZ Territory TS, Havana

Proud Member "FPV & XR Owners Club of Vic"

Brute6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2006, 08:53 PM   #32
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richo72
Astra Diesel
Cost $29,990
Fuel Consupmtion 6.0 ltr / 100
Diesel Price: $1.4231 ltr (From Fuel Watch Website)
The fuel consumption would be tested using european diesel (which is better than australian diesel) So I assume there would be an increase in consumption here. Mind you there are alot of factors that dictate fuel consumption.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2006, 12:46 AM   #33
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Freak
Summary for June 2006 (June 2005 figures in brackets):

[COLOR=Blue]Ford - Australian manufactured vehicles

Falcon/Fairmont - 4,358 (5,433) -19.8%
Territory - 2,225 (2,537) -12.3%
Utility - 1,793 (2,065) -13.2%
Fairlane/LTD - 162 (161) +0.6%

Total - 8,538 (10,196) -16.3%

Ford - fully imported vehicles

Focus - 1,422 (603) +135.8%

Fiesta - 490 (434) +12.9%

FF
I would have thought that the Focus and Fiesta sold more units in June. I do understand that they still were significantly up on last year. It's just that in May they sold 2200+ and 700 respectively.

Did the large sales in May affect supply / stocks for June??

PS Thanks for the monthly updates Falcon Freak. Much appreciated.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2006, 08:24 AM   #34
BadMac
I still have both eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richo72
For the Golf then...

All "Comfortline Models"

2.0 FSI $29990 8.0l/100
2.0 TDI $32490 5.7l/100

Price Difference $2500

At 20,000 km per annum

FSI $2112 Fuel
TDI $1618 Fuel

A $500 difference

At 20000 km still a 5 year payback
At 40,000 km 2.5 years

So if you're on a 2 year lease and or low km's they don't make sense...

Up the mileage and ownership period and yep...the sums may begin to stack up.

The point I was trying to make was that people are buying diesels think of the fuel savings rather than whole of onwership..

And don't forget, take that $2500 difference at a standard finance rate and that TDI is costing an extra $250 a year interest...(simplistic I know there are other running costs) but throw it into the mix and suddenly it's 10years to recoup those running costs at 20,000km p.a.

It's worth doing the sums before you buy a diesel for the savings.

While what you have said is valid, it doesn't account for resale. ie when 2 years old does the petrol have the same resale as the diesel or is the differential maintained ie if the second had price after 2 years still has the $2.5k difference then the $500 a year is a direct in the pocket saving.
BadMac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2006, 09:23 AM   #35
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
PS Thanks for the monthly updates Falcon Freak. Much appreciated.
No problem. As the vFacts data is only available to subscribers and the media only shows a small amount of this data, I am willing to spend a bit of time every month to show the complete picture.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2006, 09:46 AM   #36
Stoney!
Happy Volkswagen owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMac
While what you have said is valid, it doesn't account for resale. ie when 2 years old does the petrol have the same resale as the diesel or is the differential maintained ie if the second had price after 2 years still has the $2.5k difference then the $500 a year is a direct in the pocket saving.
Diesel generally have a higher resale rating, not to mention that servicing is actually cheaper.

And buying diesel at some times can be cheaper thn petrol, at least diesel you can buy most times of the week and its a similar price, for people doing quite a few k's a week, filling up twice a week once at the higher price and one a the lower price really adds up, with a diesel you should only have to fill up once a week and can fill up at the low price, though as said, with diesel it doesn' fluctuate as much.

Go buy a second hand diesel, they are a good buy I think, I don't think any new car, Petrol diesel or especially LPG is a good investment.

Not to mention diesel engines last a lot longer than its Petrol and LPG equivilents.

Lets ot also Forget that the petrol golf gets the old fasion 6 speed auto where as the Diesel Golf gets the Hi - Tech 6spd DSG Gearbox. Which would also bring the premium up a bit further.

And the petrol golf also uses premium petrol not Regular unleaded.

Stoney!
Stoney! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2006, 10:46 AM   #37
Jake F6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Freak
No problem. As the vFacts data is only available to subscribers and the media only shows a small amount of this data, I am willing to spend a bit of time every month to show the complete picture.

FF
Thanks mate, we all appreciate it.
Jake F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2006, 11:23 AM   #38
Lagom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
72% of Ford vehicles sold in June 06 are Australian made.
51% of Holden vehicles sold in June 06 are Australian made.

Holden means a great deal to Australia doesn't it.
To be fair though, Holden does actually build more cars in Australia than Ford, thanks to export.

If Ford's imports sold better (and there were more volume models), you'd see Ford's Aussie percentage fall.
Lagom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2006, 09:30 AM   #39
slipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMac
Yes, the resale will be higher, but the point that was made about the higher capital costs is still valid. That interest on the extra $2.5K purchase cost needs to be serviced if the car was financed. If the car was not financed, that is money that can be earning money elsewhere (off the home loan, buy some stocks etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney!
Diesel generally have a higher resale rating, not to mention that servicing is actually cheaper.

And buying diesel at some times can be cheaper thn petrol, at least diesel you can buy most times of the week and its a similar price, for people doing quite a few k's a week, filling up twice a week once at the higher price and one a the lower price really adds up, with a diesel you should only have to fill up once a week and can fill up at the low price, though as said, with diesel it doesn' fluctuate as much.
I cannot comment on Golf / Astra diesels, but the service intervals of Toyota diesels is *half* as long as the petrol jobs - I doubt that the servicing costs of diesels are half that of the petrol equivalents. Then there is the pain of making time to get the car serviced twice as often.

And in metro Brisbane, diesel is almost always more expensive than 95-PULP.
slipper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post