Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-07-2006, 09:06 PM   #1
aimzes
...fairly odd

Default urgent help... oldsmobile

im going round to see an early 70s oldsmobile ninety eight this weekend. its not advertised for sale but its been parked outside a house for years and once in a blue moon its given a run around the block. owned by a very old bloke... actually i hope hes still around.

the body needs a bit of work, a little bit of surface rust but nothing major. it needs paint which im prepaired to do even if it means not a fantastic job.

engine/drive line isnt 100% but it starts and is driveable.

now i know that isnt much to go on and im not even sure if its got rego (nsw) but could anyone give me a rough price guide? think of it as looking pretty shabby but driveable. keep in mind that i can prep and paint.

whats a good offer? im thinking $2000. years ago i heard that he wanted $5000 but thats absolutly ridiculous.

any help is appreciated and i can understand if i dont get much if any. ill have a better idea at what im looking at after this weekend.

this is what it could look like

Old 05-07-2006, 09:18 PM   #2
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Yank iron, regardless of condition is worth $$

If it is driveable you May get it for $5k

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2006, 10:02 PM   #3
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Try redbook!!!

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2006, 10:09 PM   #4
aimzes
...fairly odd

nothing in redbook. not even an "O" section.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:13 PM   #5
070mstg

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimzes
whats a good offer? im thinking $2000. years ago i heard that he wanted $5000 but thats absolutly ridiculous.

if it were mine i wouldnt part with it for $2000,but you can hope!
sometimes the old boys just dont wanna let them go, can understand that.
tell you what though if you agree to a price,pay the cash and take the car as soon as you can,had a similar car in the family, as soon as the old guy said he was selling, 5 family members started out bidding the original (strangers) offer and he ended up with nothing,the family members were all probably hoping it would be left to them or felt rude asking to buy the old pride and joy
good luck
070mstg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2006, 10:19 PM   #6
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
nothing in redbook. not even an "O" section.

OK what about the yank version whatever that maybe?

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2006, 11:01 PM   #7
calaway

I know of someone who paid around two grand a couple of years ago for a '65 ninety eight. It was original with a 425cu.in engine. It was in resonable cond, maybe bordering on good.

Not many people know of 'Olds' over here. However, I would of thought a sixties variety would probably be a little more desirable than a seventies. This is open to personal opinion of course.
calaway is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2006, 09:40 AM   #8
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seventies BOP or Caddy stuff isn't really worth much .. I'd say $2K is "reasonable" price. Gotta remember BOP/Caddy stuff never seems to interchange with each other, different models from the same manufacturer or Chevy stuff. Basically any parts you need will have to be specifically ordered for this specific model. That's why they are cheap...

Having said that BOP/Caddy stuff from the sixties is usually the same story for parts availability, but it's actually "nice" and worth something. Eg. Getting parts for a '67 Olds 442 might be a pain in the butt .. but its worth it!!

If you want cheap Yanky iron, try an Aussie Dodge Phoenix. Currently I've got a '69 pillarless hardtop with 318/auto that I'd be lucky to get $2K for if I tried to sell it ..
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2006, 09:12 AM   #9
noosacuda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Olds probably has got a 403 in it,same as most Trans-Ams,but $2000 cash sounds generous,'fish' for his price first,then make a cash offer less than he wants.... (Don't be a prat about it though)
noosacuda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2006, 12:41 PM   #10
peedee

looked at a good cutluss about 10 years ago they wanted $8000 for it wife wanted NA so bought NA, on weekend thought I saw same cutlass in a front yard burnt out I know not much info for you but you could try Oldsmobile sites in us for ruogh idea If I had $2000 to spare that Phoenix would be mine
peter
peedee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2006, 02:30 PM   #11
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by peedee
If I had $2000 to spare that Phoenix would be mine
peter
I said *IF* I tried to sell it It's not worth me selling it. I'll probably strip it and use parts for my '70 Fury convertible .. :(

Anyway .. what's happening with the Olds??

Rod.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2006, 04:52 PM   #12
aimzes
...fairly odd

thanks for the replies.

saturday morning ill be dropping in for a chat with the owner... although after seeing some of the cars in this months "just car" mag i wont be too dissapointed if he isnt keen to part with it.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:35 PM   #13
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They had 455 ci V8 standard, with 320hp and probably something like 600Nm at 2000rpm. Weight is 2000kg

Id rather an Olds Toronado, they're FWD but they look so much cooler.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2006, 06:33 PM   #14
buickman
buickman

Looking at the grill in the photo it looks like a 1972/3 ninety-Eight.
Not a commom car but fitted with gas would be a good cruiser as they are like a big HQ underneath. They are even rare to spot on the roads in the US unless you attened a car swapmeet over there. The car would be fitted with a Olds 455cu with 225HP & if its not then someone's changed the mtr & $2,000 is a good price then you can invest on other items to make the car how you would like it plus it stands out from other cars on the roads. The 71 models had the 320hp & its not a 71 model.
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2006, 06:36 PM   #15
peedee

AWWWW come on OZJAVELIN it would go well with my CM : could just imagine trying to talk the boss lady : into it
peter
peedee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2006, 06:45 PM   #16
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickman
Looking at the grill in the photo it looks like a 1972/3 ninety-Eight.
Not a commom car but fitted with gas would be a good cruiser as they are like a big HQ underneath. They are even rare to spot on the roads in the US unless you attened a car swapmeet over there. The car would be fitted with a Olds 455cu with 225HP & if its not then someone's changed the mtr & $2,000 is a good price then you can invest on other items to make the car how you would like it plus it stands out from other cars on the roads. The 71 models had the 320hp & its not a 71 model.
Read his post again, the photo he posted is not of the car he's looking at.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2006, 01:52 AM   #17
1970galaxie
Fat 460

Well maybe if we were all OLdsmobile enthusiasts, we'd know what we were on about, but we are here because we are into Fords aren't we?
But seriously, as much as I like any/all Yank stuff, cars like this one, I don't think will ever be collectible or worth much, especially if a 4 door. Any car is only worth as much as you wanna pay. If it was me, buy it as cheap as you can, drop it to the weeds, fill it up with as many mates as you can fit in, and go cruisin'.
2003 BA XR8 Ute. Blood Orange. 5.4/5 speed.
2006 Territory Turbo. Silhouette. 4.0/6 speed auto.
1970galaxie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2006, 02:40 AM   #18
EXECJIM

Cool

Quote:
im going round to see an early 70s oldsmobile ninety eight this weekend. its not advertised for sale but its been parked outside a house for years and once in a blue moon its given a run around the block. owned by a very old bloke... actually i hope hes still around.

the body needs a bit of work, a little bit of surface rust but nothing major. it needs paint which im prepaired to do even if it means not a fantastic job.

engine/drive line isnt 100% but it starts and is driveable.

now i know that isnt much to go on and im not even sure if its got rego (nsw) but could anyone give me a rough price guide? think of it as looking pretty shabby but driveable. keep in mind that i can prep and paint.

any help is appreciated and i can understand if i dont get much if any. ill have a better idea at what im looking at after this weekend.

this is what it could look like

If he doesnt take the $2000 you offer, can you PM his details and i will ring him.
I think that car is worth alot more.

Jim
EXECJIM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2006, 05:53 AM   #19
Stampy

He maybe just trying to get rid of it off his lawn, feel him out first , I see a bargin comming your way ,anyhow it's going to end up costing you heaps in the long run.

Alan
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2006, 12:27 PM   #20
aimzes
...fairly odd

Quote:
If he doesnt take the $2000 you offer, can you PM his details and i will ring him.
your not going off the pic are you? thats of a olds 98 but this one is very very shabby. im sure its worth more than $2k but thats as much as ill pay for it. btw he wasnt home and the car was wrapped up in the same tarps i saw it in last year.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:21 PM   #21
buickman
buickman

Body parts would be a headache if they are really rusted & deteriated. If the mtrs shot rebuilding could be expensive as well.. If you do get the car it might pay to belong to the club as I do with the Buick as there is someone always knows a contact for parts in these clubs like the forums.

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~oldsclub/index.html
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post