Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-06-2024, 12:25 PM   #1
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Plastic Radiator Tank Replacement

For a Euro, I need to make a “Franken-radiator” with a change of tank. (All hail Crash Bunny!)

I have a “correct” radiator with decent core and top tank, looks like the lower tank is cracked. Also I have a donor radiator with decent core of the same dimensions, and matching - but undamaged - bottom tank. However the top tank is not compatible.

It’s my assumption the bottom crimp is slightly less stressed, less vibrated although the internal pressures will obviously not change.

I don’t really want to DIY, but looking for a radiator place in greater Sydney that will actually do this job. Not just try to sell me a replacement radiator. The OEM core is definitely thicker metal and more precisely made than most aftermarket units I see.

Natrad sell replacement plastic tanks for some radiators, so it seems there are workshops doing this type of job. I will travel or send if there’s a better (recommended) shop that is further away.

So - if you know a radiator shop who don’t get funny about changing tanks - I’m all ears.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2024, 06:00 PM   #2
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 
Default Re: Plastic Radiator Tank Replacement

Reg's Radiators is real old school, but in Hoppers Crossing Vic so not sure how much help this is.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-06-2024, 06:16 PM   #3
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Thanks, Simon.

Drove past the Hoppers turnoff twice in each direction, in business hours, on my road trip, with the radiator in question. Isn’t it always the way?

Good backup if there’s nothing else closer!
Old 24-06-2024, 06:35 PM   #4
hawke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Natrad radiator place at Marrickville has been doing radiators for a zillion years. I’d go there first.
hawke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2024, 07:09 PM   #5
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Yes, Sunny there would be one person I might ask, also Artur at North Shore Radiators - but I was wondering whether others might have had specific experiences with plastic tank replacements.
Old 24-06-2024, 08:59 PM   #6
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
Reg's Radiators is real old school, but in Hoppers Crossing Vic so not sure how much help this is.
I thought Reg's Radiator closed up since he used to be in Industrial Ave, great repairer at a fair price.
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2024, 09:59 PM   #7
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
I thought Reg's Radiator closed up since he used to be in Industrial Ave, great repairer at a fair price.
he was definitely there a year ago when he silver soldered a fuel tank for me.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2024, 07:39 AM   #8
hawke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In a previous life, I was the sales manager for Nippondeso Radiators, and we sold all the cores and tanks to all the radiator repairers in Oz. It’s not hard to unclip and do it yourself.
hawke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2024, 09:01 AM   #9
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Pity you passed one of the best old school radiator repairers (Benalla) going back.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2024, 09:05 AM   #10
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
he was definitely there a year ago when he silver soldered a fuel tank for me.
Still around, down behind Repco & Rent a Bomb off Old Geelong Rd
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post