Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-06-2024, 08:39 PM   #1
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Parts companies selling stock they dont actually have

Theres not much that gets me REALLY fired up, but this new trend makes me wild with rage.
I first started noticing it half way though covid, where, say, you needed a part, EVERYONE was marked as out of stock or backorder, and someone on ebay had it listed but for 10% or so above rrp.
Theyd reckon, say, a week postage time. Yet after 2 weeks youd email them asking for tracking, to get a response along the lines of "sorry, we cant procure, we've cancelled your order".
Literally selling stuff they dont have.

Well, its STILL happening. Total time wasting, unfair and just downright crap way to run a "business".
I can get stuff from summit USA quicker than a lot of stuff from within aus because of this dumb setup.
How is this even allowed?
Am i the only one that rages about this?
I have had this happen about 20 times now and i think im blocked from every single seller thats done it to me.

Last edited by Jack91; 19-06-2024 at 08:46 PM.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 19-06-2024, 09:34 PM   #2
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Parts companies selling stock they dont actually have

My daughter had the same issue with SSV. Ordered some headlights for her FG2, advertised as in stock. Weeks go by, nothing. Asks where they are, she's informed they're on order and havent arrived yet. Yet more weeks go by and she starts asking for a refund, at which point they start arguing with her about it, in the meantime they've gone and changed the site to remove the 'in stock' and replaced with 'to place an order for stock to arrive in X weeks', trying to argue she ordered when these conditions were advertised, though we have screen grabs showing otherwise. Lights eventually came, but without the needed adaptor for fitting to FG2, and they werent even wired correctly. They have stupid clauses saying no returns unless they have an accompanying report from an auto-electrician, for something advertised as plug and play. Clearly aware they're selling a dud product. Managed to get them to work, but would never deal with those clowns again.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-06-2024, 10:27 PM   #3
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sparesbox - I’ve never been ****ed over like I have by them with orders I’ve placed only to be told they’re out of stock after having to chase them around. Clearly listed in stock on their site. I gave them the benefit of the doubt during covid but they’re still doing it.
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 19-06-2024, 10:33 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack91 View Post
Theres not much that gets me REALLY fired up, but this new trend makes me wild with rage.
I first started noticing it half way though covid, where, say, you needed a part, EVERYONE was marked as out of stock or backorder, and someone on ebay had it listed but for 10% or so above rrp.
Theyd reckon, say, a week postage time. Yet after 2 weeks youd email them asking for tracking, to get a response along the lines of "sorry, we cant procure, we've cancelled your order".
Literally selling stuff they dont have.

Well, its STILL happening. Total time wasting, unfair and just downright crap way to run a "business".
I can get stuff from summit USA quicker than a lot of stuff from within aus because of this dumb setup.
How is this even allowed?
Am i the only one that rages about this?
I have had this happen about 20 times now and i think im blocked from every single seller thats done it to me.
Its called 'drop shipping', they just list their suppliers goods and pretend they carry it in stock, then leave you holding the bag for weeks on end while their 3PL eventually pulls their finger out of their *** and ships your goods,

Once they buy it in from THEIR supplier, and their 3PL pulls their finger out their *** and ships your goods.

The industry is a ****ing joke, its deteriorated so much in the last circa decade.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 20-06-2024, 08:10 AM   #5
swamp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hi
Even worse is when these companies advertise at a very cheap price to begin with and is not actually the case . Just adding insult is they lie about stock levels .
Dead give away is 3-4 weeks to supply within Australia .

Since covid , been looking at suspension bushes , the eye watering prices are sky high ,, even more costly than genuine WOW .....
Exactly why I shop over seas = choice + same if not lower price .

Spare parts is a race to see how much u can be ripped off in Australia ......

Poor service within Ozzy is wide spread
PBR sold its brakes division to Bosch , since then Bosch has exterminated all overhaul kits which only leaves the bad quality suppliers that typically have no stock at very high prices . World wide Bosch is only interested in very fast moving items . Even then low stock is common which often leads to delays .
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-06-2024, 10:07 AM   #6
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

dept Fair Trade or whatever its called in your state, could be a starter. If claims gained traction there would be hell to pay
Old 20-06-2024, 11:03 AM   #7
HIPO
Al

Give away on Ebay is when "Aussie sellers" give a 2wk postage time, it means we'll be the middle man bringing it in from China etc at extra cost.
HIPO is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-06-2024, 11:04 AM   #8
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I’ve just been inconvenienced by this again, and it wasn’t SparesBox. Even gave the reseller opportunity to (a.) check stock before I placed an order and (b.) later to throw their “supplier” under a bus by name but they chose to go it alone.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-06-2024, 11:17 AM   #9
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I’ve just been inconvenienced by this again, and it wasn’t SparesBox. Even gave the reseller opportunity to (a.) check stock before I placed an order and (b.) later to throw their “supplier” under a bus by name but they chose to go it alone.
When you check the ERP and it shows one or two units left in the warehouse, stock check is always required

If you actually do your job properly its all about getting customer sorted in a single contact, you don't want to have unanswered questions or needing to go back and forth all the time.

Seems like a lost art these days, everywhere.

Work with plenty of smart people and yet none of them can figure out how to get everything across in one contact.

Its not hard, assuming you've done the leg work and provided information for a customer to make the decision to buy - all any automotive customer wants to know is:

A) How much is it?
B) Do you have it?
C) When can I have it?

If you do the online thing properly you can answer all three without needing to talk to anyone on the phone or send an email - RS Components is an online supplier of electronics who would get your parts on the other side of the moon yesterday.

My local Ford dealership, I've had an account with them for near on a decade now and I've never met anyone and I don't talk to them on the phone, I just send an email and my parts turn up on my doorstep, either same day or next day.

I've never met the parts guys, I've never met their driver, and its how I like it - I don't want to talk to them, I just want my shit.

I call it 'transaction land' - sales are just a transaction, I should process it and move on, its not the 'value adding' part of anyone's role in these businesses, its bread and butter and should operate smoothly without issue.

I'll show you a pulling teeth experience from a national sales manager I had recently:

So I follow up, then I get this:

I've already told them the VIN, all the details in my initial contact

So basically it took an online form and 5 further emails to actually get what I asked for, even though I provided enough information in my very first contact, this shit is like pulling teeth.

If you thought I didn't provide enough information, why wouldn't you ask me everything you needed to know in the first contact with me?

Also - contacting a customer with a three word email without hello, or why they're contacting me, and 'cheers' in some ridiculous font in their email signature.

**** me,

Why even have this person in a role at this business? They basically just asked me a bunch of screening questions for an autoinfo form which spat out a part number for them to tell me - I can do all of this myself and then I could just ask them if they have part number X and:

A) How much is it?
B) Do you have it?
C) When can I have it?

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 20-06-2024 at 11:42 AM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-06-2024, 06:36 PM   #10
swamp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hi
Funny part about reseller
Gave ALL the details VIN plus more
Response was we wont have the part for several mths .
Acquired genuine numbers for seal/piston kit
Sent email to ebay vendor ,,response oh yea you [me] are correct we have the part
ie match caliper pistons and seal kit numbers to genuine caliper part no
Unfortunately not only do I have to do the repairs I have to do the parts look up !!!!

DOH
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-06-2024, 10:42 PM   #11
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have had a gutful of bait advertising.
The ACCC and consumer affairs are useless.
EBSXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-06-2024, 10:56 PM   #12
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I’d like to see some of these operators’ books. You get the feeling that they might be one or more transactions behind.
Old 21-06-2024, 01:39 PM   #13
ozrunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Guys there's even more to it than many seem to understand.

Many of these eBay and similar companies that advertise with appropriate pictures, tick order boxes etc etc actually carry NO STOCK whatsoever. It's a common practice and I would suspect many here have unknowingly used them for parts etc.

These "companies" approach the various major parts suppliers and setup webpages showing their items but under their parts supply name.

Your eBay or "order" goes directly to the various major suppliers who will have a setup so your order is filled from THEIR stock and sent to you. The eBay company who generated this order then gets a commission.

Thus although the originating eBay company may indicate they have stock, they don't have any and in some cases nor does the suppling company and records have not been updated to the Ebay mob but also they don't care as they aren't responsible for actually supplying your item.

I could list a host of names but our legal system sucks. There's several that are well known and probably are rolling in dollars with zero effort as their suppliers are top notch but all the buyers think its them !!!!

Whilst there are some that are handy to deal with as above, the message is wherever possible only deal with RECOGNISED companies that actually make the item or are accredited distributors of that companies goods.

Otherwise you may have to wait for the supply of items that are not actually in stock and have to come from overseas first etc.
ozrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2024, 11:17 PM   #14
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Fly-fishing again on Fleabay. I asked a vendor if the gasket I needed, was actually in stock with their supplier. A one word reply came back: “Yes”.

Will it arrive before the delivery window closes next Monday?