Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-02-2024, 04:49 PM   #1
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 'Electronic safety assistance actually makes driving more dangerous' - your thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
I always turn off all these aids where you can when I drive modern car which is not often.

My daily driver (manual) has none of these aids and I get by just fine and that is what I like
This begs the question: say you turn off the ones you don't like (every time...) and are in an accident, what might the response of the insurance company be?

Found I personally had to act as one of the safety assistance beepers in the week, took uni child on mountain hike and got them to drive back, freshly minted on Ps. Coming from 100 zone to left dish-off lane to road to town, they were coming in pretty hot, so I went "brake," and we kept going, so then "break.... break! brakebreakbrakebrake brakebrake!!!". They had put foot on the accelerator instead of the brake. A last second application, and we got around the corner.
Old 17-02-2024, 10:13 PM   #2
Itsme
Experienced Member

Default Re: 'Electronic safety assistance actually makes driving more dangerous' - your thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
This begs the question: say you turn off the ones you don't like (every time...) and are in an accident, what might the response of the insurance company be?
If the car maker allows these options to be turned off, then the insurance company can do nothing if you are involved in accident, as it is not a mandatory requirement.

Cheers.
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-02-2024, 12:15 AM   #3
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
If the car maker allows these options to be turned off, then the insurance company can do nothing if you are involved in accident, as it is not a mandatory requirement.

Cheers.
as they are now part of the ANCAP/NCAP score, does that mean they can't be turned off permanently? ANCAP isn't a legal thing, but I doubt any insurer would look favorably if you did inhibit them.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-02-2024, 10:01 AM   #4
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
as they are now part of the ANCAP/NCAP score, does that mean they can't be turned off permanently? ANCAP isn't a legal thing, but I doubt any insurer would look favorably if you did inhibit them.
Correct. In an effort to reduce "human error" ANCAP was written up so:

the system needs to be default ON at the start of every journey and deactivation of the system should not be possible with a momentary single push on a button.

Personally, in the real world, with such increased complexity of systems, there are now critical times when driving work load actually increases with focus shifting inside the car, not out. Single button is quick. Multiple touch screens/warning lights/beeps not so much.

Last edited by 383hq; 18-02-2024 at 10:20 AM.
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: