Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 11-03-2006, 06:34 PM   #1
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Adelaide International Raceway (AIR)

I have had a look on there website but they dont seem to have dates up for events etc. Does anyone know if the dragstrip is open for bussiness at present or closed for repair?
As there is also a maintance schedule listed on the website.

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2006, 10:07 PM   #2
Wokkas
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. I've sent them numerous emails, and tried to ring them dozens of times without getting an answer. I heard somewhere that the top fuels are meant to be comming here, so maybe they're doing the track up for that? Dunno.

Any way, we don't need AIR, we've got Anzac :

Last edited by SpoolMan; 11-03-2006 at 11:01 PM.
Wokkas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2006, 11:00 PM   #3
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

I have heard 2 things, 1st one is they need to put in a new timing system as the one there using doesn't work anymore.
The other is some thing about being sued, I must stress these are just hear say, read it on another drag site...

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2006, 03:45 AM   #4
smally289
growing up is optional

Go to www.dragster.com.au and read thru some of the threads in the drag racing discussion section of the forum.
Dont hold you breath waiting for Uncle Bob................

Check my thread about the Riverland track on here
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2006, 10:49 AM   #5
302donk

its sad this has happened because AIR was a good track when the cool sea air blow in at night it was great
www.myspace.com/2v_clevo_donk
302donk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2006, 12:45 PM   #6
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=smally351]Go to www.dragster.com.au and read thru some of the threads in the drag racing discussion section of the forum.
Dont hold you breath waiting for Uncle Bob................

Reading the press release in the forums on the dragster website it looks like AIR is not going to be operational till October 2006.

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Old 12-03-2006, 07:48 PM   #7
SPK-250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They are re-doing the timing system with read out boards so you can see cars times now and not have to listen so carefully to the PA on the slight chance you might hear it. They are also doing track repairs to the quarter and the circuit as well. I think drainage is high on the agenda as well.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:53 PM   #8
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does anyone know if October 06 is the date AIR re-opens?

Quote:
Old 12-03-2006, 08:42 PM   #9
smally289
growing up is optional

Yeah maybe October 6 2009!!!
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2006, 08:48 PM   #10
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by smally351
Yeah maybe October 6 2009!!!
Thanks smally351 that sounds hopefull not!

Quote:
Old 12-03-2006, 08:53 PM   #11
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by smally351
Check my thread about the Riverland track on here
is there a track in the riverland ? did not find a thread re this ?

Pete
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2006, 08:57 PM   #12
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
is there a track in the riverland ? did not find a thread re this ?

Pete
HiPete

I have cut & pasted his thread re riverland track below for you.

Cheers

Scott

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hands up, who's sick of Bob Jane's run down slush pit they call Adelaide International Raceway??

Who wants to race on a flat, properly drained 1/4 mile strip that doesn't run towards the sun in the late afternoon? A proper 'A' grade track that can see full power passes by Doorslammers, Top Fuel etc.

The Riverland Motorsport Club have a track like this in the development stages. We have the land, council and EPA approval, ANDRA support and a heap of enthusiastic racers from all over the state as well as interstate. We have secured the rights to lease some land which has existing ammenities, including a fully grassed pit area with power to most sites.

It will be the only full length concrete 1/4 mile strip outside of the USA, and will incorporate a driver training centre.

We have had a bit of a run around from a few Govt departments that had promised us some funding and that has slowed down the construction work a bit. BUT, we will not lay down and die!! This has the potential to be a top class facility in a popular tourist area.

Jump onto www.riverlandmotorsportclub.com.au and check out our website, jump onto the forum and have your say!!!

If you want real drag racing to return to Sth Aust, then this is the place. Tell your mates, bosses, anyone. We need all the support we can get to make this happen.

Quote:
Old 28-04-2006, 01:16 PM   #13
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Has anyone some information with what is happening with AIR ? making me sad seeing these other states enjoying the track and yet adelaide seems to be left in the dark.

There were stories that it was all good and going to happen, but nothing.
Old 29-04-2006, 05:30 PM   #14
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

I don't know anything apart from what has been mentioned on here. Last time I went past the track though, all the start line appeared to be dug up.

Someone mentioned to me a while ago there was talk of a dragstrip being built in the Barossa Valley, more along the lines of a grass-roots track like Heathcote. I haven't heard much else apart from that though.

It would be great to get another track built in SA, AIR is always really busy, and now the closest 1/4 mile track for us is Heathcote or Calder Park :(

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2006, 08:22 PM   #15
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_EF8
It would be great to get another track built in SA, AIR is always really busy, and now the closest 1/4 mile track for us is Heathcote or Calder Park :(
Or the Riverland Track listed on post #12

Not sure where it is though, couldnt find an address, but sounds like it's near Berri and Loxton near the Murray
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2006, 09:00 PM   #16
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As far as I know the riverland track is still in the planning stages..
Perana is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2006, 09:02 PM   #17
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perana XR8
As far as I know the riverland track is still in the planning stages..
Yes they were my impressions also, sad to see adelaide can't get it's act together, Whyalla has a 1/8 track but not sure how often it runs.

SA does need a heathcote stye track but location may be better out Pt Wakfield way allowing most SA access to it.

still dreaming i suppose.
Old 29-04-2006, 09:10 PM   #18
rodderz

I think the best thing would be for Mr. Jane to get both AIR and Calder Park up to scratch so motorsport fans can see top level drag racing again, on well-prepped tracks with working facilities! I dont see how he can see it being a gamble, the popularity of drag racing is at a high and there are lots of entrants and it will only bring $$ in?
Old 30-04-2006, 02:52 PM   #19
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
I think the best thing would be for Mr. Jane to get both AIR and Calder Park up to scratch so motorsport fans can see top level drag racing again, on well-prepped tracks with working facilities! I dont see how he can see it being a gamble, the popularity of drag racing is at a high and there are lots of entrants and it will only bring $$ in?
Totally agree with you there mate. I havn't been to Calder in over a year but I've heard theres a new timing board. I havn't been to AIR yet but from all accounts it is a hole. It's a such a shame. Shame shame shame Mr. Jane!!!!
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2006, 06:48 PM   #20
Walkinshaw
Two > One

I don't care if its AIR or riverland, aslong as we get ANDRA back here and a decent track.

Riverland track would be fantastic, make a weekend away trip for some fun. Word is also another track south east of adelaide is also in the planing. ;)

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2006, 07:30 PM   #21
Craig
RIP Craig - 13/11/08
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
Can't agree with you at all here rodderz, bob jane has shown time and time again that he is not fair dinkum when it come to Drag Racing at his facilities.

What we need is a sanctioning body with some balls (Like the NHRA) who can take charge and show our government that Championship Drag racing can make money for the state not to a greedy little man out Keilor way.

I am not real sure what DRIVA is doing but i feel they have our best interests at heart. The sooner they can come out with some news for us to get us excited the better.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2006, 09:12 PM   #22
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig@ACE
Can't agree with you at all here rodderz, bob jane has shown time and time again that he is not fair dinkum when it come to Drag Racing at his facilities.

What we need is a sanctioning body with some balls (Like the NHRA) who can take charge and show our government that Championship Drag racing can make money for the state not to a greedy little man out Keilor way.

I am not real sure what DRIVA is doing but i feel they have our best interests at heart. The sooner they can come out with some news for us to get us excited the better.
Well yes, Bob hasnt shown he is serious about it, which you guys found out all too well at the muscle car nats over easter

I guess the point I'm trying to get across is that us drag racing fans are sick of not seeing any top level racing down here when other states are getting regular events and are very popular. Our government hasnt tipped in like some of the other states, and this should be pressured to Bracks that this can be a step towards reducing the road toll also, a place for the young guns to test their cars against their mates instead of the road

Whether it's Bob, or preferably someone else who is really commited to the best interests of racers and fans, it would be great to see some progress on all of this so Victoria and SA can get some action
Old 30-04-2006, 11:51 PM   #23
SPK-250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the government could really step in and be an enormous help i.e NSW gov and WSID. I think the proplem is no-one has been to Mike Rann's level in the pursuit of support. Even though he is a bit soft handed i think he could be influenced in giving a hand. Just look at the Clipsal 500, only happens once a year. No, a single national drag meeting probably won't match the income that Clipsal generates for the local economy, but what about 5-10 national level meetings a year that would bring people from all over the country, just like the old days. And now drag racing is at it's highest point and on the increase(just look at all the ANDRA classes being added) i cant see why SA and VIC should be left out.
Have a look at Tasmania! Population of around 300,000 people and they get to if they so wish to go and watch drag racers race for ANDRA points several times a year.
I've had enough now.