Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-02-2022, 03:04 PM   #91
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Work van recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Not sure on the settings to be honest, the warehouse manager said he believed it was a 'default on' setup which would require switching off everytime you started it.
Wouldnt matter anyway as I was over it before I got part way through the day, too uncomfortable for a 6'3" person like myself as to get leg room it requires the seat fully back which then forces the seat back almost verticle due to the cargo barrier which combined with the forwatd projecting headrest leaves you feeling like your about to fall forward. Combine that with the terribly jerky hill descent control feature of the cruise control and then in any position there is simply a lack of lumbar support.

The seats position wouldnt be an issue in the people mover version as theres no cargo barrier to dictate seat back angle however there is also no reach adjustment on the steering column so to get a correct arm posture with slight bend at the elbow requires you to lean forward creating that 'C' shape I alluded to and associated lower back pain.
I barely slept last night as once I got home and relaxed the back stiffened up and felt worse, took panadiene forte at 3am and almost called in sick for the first time since I started.
Back in the old gen Hiace today and at the half way point having travelled the exact same route and zero discomfort, still have the same return route as yesterday to go so its an excellent opportunity for comparison although I already know the answer.

If I cant persuade them to look at the Crafter style vans I'll be pushing for a new Hiace for the extra frontal protection at a minimum.
You'll find the new Hiace much better for driving over the previous gen Hiace. We had one for a couple of weeks while the Custom was in the panel shop. It was a petrol v6 which was a curse to fill but fun to use.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2022, 03:16 PM   #92
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
If I cant persuade them to look at the Crafter style vans I'll be pushing for a new Hiace for the extra frontal protection at a minimum.
only problem i found with the new hiace was no centre console or seat, just a big gap for things to be stored and then roll around the floor, the seat unfortunately wasn't a captains chair with fold down armrests.

i did however find a company that made centre consoles and another that made a third seat.
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2022, 06:08 PM   #93
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Cranium View Post
only problem i found with the new hiace was no centre console or seat, just a big gap for things to be stored and then roll around the floor, the seat unfortunately wasn't a captains chair with fold down armrests.

i did however find a company that made centre consoles and another that made a third seat.
Actually I dont mind the lack of 3rd seat. I carry a tub on the passenger seat for small items so in my current Hiace with console, it means my bag is stored in the passenger footwell and my lunch bag behind the console lid and often in the sun.
2 of our sprinters have no middle seat and its so much more convenient to have both my bags down beside me and out of the sun.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-02-2022, 06:19 PM   #94
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Had to laugh this afternoon, got back from my run to discover they'd given the Staria Load to our Express delivery girl for the day, apparently she didnt like it either.
When questioned on why her response was the AEB was too sensitive, she prefers to brake later and the lane keep assist annoyed her as she tends to drift around her lane, prior to joining us she was a chuck truck chick, need I say more..lol.

The warehouse Manager and I had to go and pick up one of the Hiaces from having a service so I suggested we take the Staria and he drive it to see what he thought.
As we arrive at the Mechanics shop he plows it into a large concrete slab with steel hanging out of it and caves in the front bumper, he then backs back a few inches, puts it into park and without applying the electric handbrake lets it roll back in for another crack.
He looks at me and goes, do you want to drive it back...lol, fark no I said, you broke it, It's yours champ.
Got back to the depot and had a closer look, 2 big gouges out of the bar and the skirt ripped in two.
As a car guy when I first saw that new van in our carpark last Friday I thought its such a shame that no matter what we buy It'll be destroyed in no time by the incompetents that work there, I didnt think it'd happen before we even signed the contract though.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2022, 06:30 PM   #95
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Had to laugh this afternoon, got back from my run to discover they'd given the Staria Load to our Express delivery girl for the day, apparently she didnt like it either.
When questioned on why her response was the AEB was too sensitive, she prefers to brake later and the lane keep assist annoyed her as she tends to drift around her lane, prior to joining us she was a chuck truck chick, need I say more..lol.

The warehouse Manager and I had to go and pick up one of the Hiaces from having a service so I suggested we take the Staria and he drive it to see what he thought.
As we arrive at the Mechanics shop he plows it into a large concrete slab with steel hanging out of it and caves in the front bumper, he then backs back a few inches, puts it into park and without applying the electric handbrake lets it roll back in for another crack.
He looks at me and goes, do you want to drive it back...lol, fark no I said, you broke it, It's yours champ.
Got back to the depot and had a closer look, 2 big gouges out of the bar and the skirt ripped in two.
As a car guy when I first saw that new van in our carpark last Friday I thought its such a shame that no matter what we buy It'll be destroyed in no time by the incompetents that work there, I didnt think it'd happen before we even signed the contract though.
On the bright side, I think you will get a Transporter after all that now.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2022, 08:15 PM   #96
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's a bugger these serial killer/pedo rigs were never offered here.

smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2022, 08:17 PM   #97
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Crafter
Crafter
Crafter

Say no to Transporter with the slow heavy steering ****ty seats and dsg transmission.
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2022, 08:22 PM   #98
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Bloody hilarious.
Wish I could send you some pix of our fleet at the volunteering place I work at.

A black dot sticker is placed next to recent panel damage.
Each vehicle has at least six instances of panel damage and six black dots.
No point fixing as they just get smacked up again.
Car drivers forget about length and height when they get in a van.
Car drivers are the bulk of our volunteers.
No so the 4 or 5 ex truckies there ... we are the professionals.
2 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2022, 08:01 AM   #99
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Angry Re: Work van recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Cranium View Post

2022 model comes with a centre console.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2022, 10:44 AM   #100
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

As a car guy when I first saw that new van in our carpark last Friday I thought its such a shame that no matter what we buy It'll be destroyed in no time by the incompetents that work there, I didn't think it'd happen before we even signed the contract though.
Can so relate...On my first sighting of the Staria/Load the initial thought apart from its new/old look was I'd hate to have any damage to the front as it looks like it's a one piece unit with very low headlights. This is counter to our Transit Custom which has a bumper and front facia made up of smaller sections meaning you can often get away with replacing smaller parts in an accident and hence save money.
2 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2022, 10:50 AM   #101
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
Crafter
Crafter
Crafter

Say no to Transporter with the slow heavy steering ****ty seats and dsg transmission.
I keep wondering why VW stuck with dsg in the Transporter T6/6.1 and went the much nicer 8 speed torque converter in the Crafter...and I believe the Golf now as well....next Transporter is based off the Transit Custom so I wonder if both move to Ford's 8 speed auto or the 10 speed auto when the all-new models are released...actually I don't think any FWD-based Ford's use the 10 speed.
Old 09-02-2022, 05:57 PM   #102
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Crafter is more premium and probably costs a shed load more.
As for the Ford 10 speed. I tried it once in a loan v8 mustang ... thought it was two gears too many seemed to shuffle gears unnecessarily.

What would I know though. I m a dinosaur who loves a manual box.
Old 09-02-2022, 06:15 PM   #103
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
Crafter is more premium and probably costs a shed load more.
As for the Ford 10 speed. I tried it once in a loan v8 mustang ... thought it was two gears too many seemed to shuffle gears unnecessarily.

What would I know though. I m a dinosaur who loves a manual box.
A Multivan LWB can get you little change from $100K and a comparable T6 to my Vito would be about $70K so not sure being more premium is correct.
Old 09-02-2022, 06:31 PM   #104
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There’s a few of those multi vans getting round the GC with mums driving them.

The Crafter is bigger than Transporter so more size equals more $.