Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-09-2021, 05:39 PM   #1
sacko7
Starter Motor

Default What forum to get advice?

Hi, I have posted for a few weeks now some questions I have about an XE, I have had a lot of views but no replies. Where is the best Forum to get technical advice? This is my original post.

Hi all, New to the forum and have some questions I need help with. I have a 1984 XE sedan, 4.1 auto and I am converting to a V8. I have been told that once conversion done a RWC and a view by Vic Roads should suffice. Now my questions, I have purchased a 1984 LTD, 351 complete, I have done this as I believe that a lot of the 6 cylinder components will be no good for a V8, I am replacing radiator, water pump hoses etc with new. I know I will have to extend the tail shaft as the LTD is a longer car. Would the LTD have an LSD? I know it is not a 9inch. The LTD has leaf springs and the XE has coil on the rear, the XE has drums on the rear, What is the best way to get the LTD diff and discs on to the XE? Should I run with leaf or coil on the rear or is it too hard to swap ?
Any other ideas or items I should be aware of please let me know
Regards
Sacko7
sacko7 is online now Report Post
sacko7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2021, 08:36 PM   #2
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: What forum to get advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacko7 View Post
Hi, I have posted for a few weeks now some questions I have about an XE, I have had a lot of views but no replies. Where is the best Forum to get technical advice? This is my original post.

Hi all, New to the forum
hi and welcome to the forums and i dont know best place to put this but ill try and throw some answers up

Quote:
and have some questions I need help with. I have a 1984 XE sedan, 4.1 auto and I am converting to a V8. I have been told that once conversion done a RWC and a view by Vic Roads should suffice.
i cant answer this as your not in the state im in and i dont know your states needs in such a conversion from 6 to 8 best to start on your gov's website

Quote:
Now my questions, I have purchased a 1984 LTD, 351 complete, I have done this as I believe that a lot of the 6 cylinder components will be no good for a V8, I am replacing radiator, water pump hoses etc with new. I know I will have to extend the tail shaft as the LTD is a longer car.
now your converting the xe to the 8 from the ltd right ! then being the ltd is longer and the xe is shorter youll need to get a shorter tailshaft not longer . either buy 1 second hand or have one made dont attempt to do your self unless you can cut it right weld it right and then balance it
but me id keep the ltd and flip the xe

Quote:
Would the LTD have an LSD? I know it is not a 9inch. The LTD has leaf springs and the XE has coil on the rear, the XE has drums on the rear, What is the best way to get the LTD diff and discs on to the XE?
this part is a big ask and needs a lot of modification to make the leaf spring fit the coil with the bar work , easier to get the right diff to suit from start.
unless they are the same make diff then change the centers fit the disc's to the outers after removing the complete drum set up and fit the vac booster and master from the ltd
but like above but me id keep the ltd and flip the xe as you already have it all in that package

Quote:
Should I run with leaf or coil on the rear or is it too hard to swap ?
Any other ideas or items I should be aware of please let me know
Regards
Sacko7
sacko7 is online now Report Post
changing the car from coils to leafs or diff from leaf to coil will more than likely require an engineers cert which will more than likely need some one who can proceed with the job that knows what their doing and the engineer which can become costly

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 12-09-2021, 11:02 PM   #3
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Advice can also be had on Whirlpool, Reddit and Mumsnet, although quality and accuracy will vary!

It may be possible to put the LTD diff internals completely into the XE diff housing - provided the flanges are identical.

The whole job should be done thoroughly, a half-baked conversion as these cars otherwise climb in value, will detract from asset growth.

Is the LTD shell much rusty? Looking out for a sound front cut, from front floor to shock towers.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-09-2021, 11:10 PM   #4
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes the inspection should be all as it could've been optioned with a V8.

Dunno about LSD, but pretty sure it will have highway gears in it (lower numerically) not what you want.

An E series rear end (eb xr6) will give you a 3.45 ratio and LSD, with coil springs and discs. Fairly common swap, Google will help you here.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-09-2021, 11:12 PM   #5
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Advice can also be had on Whirlpool, Reddit and Mumsnet, although quality and accuracy will vary!

It may be possible to put the LTD diff internals completely into the XE diff housing - provided the flanges are identical.

The whole job should be done thoroughly, a half-baked conversion as these cars otherwise climb in value, will detract from asset growth.

Is the LTD shell much rusty? Looking out for a sound front cut, from front floor to shock towers.
I also give advice - its **** but at least its free
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 12-09-2021, 11:32 PM   #6
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I also give advice - its **** but at least its free
That's All it's Worth,,,,

Having said That.. My(also Free) Advice is to Leave them Both Original.. unmolested Australian Built Cars have appreciated substantially over the last couple of Years & (IMHO) will continue to do so..
However at the end of the Day.

It's Your Car, your Money, Do whatever floats your Boat..

Last edited by hayseed; 12-09-2021 at 11:37 PM. Reason: added a bit.
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-09-2021, 12:01 AM   #7
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

From the Vicroads website:
Quote:
A person must not modify a vehicle intended to be used on a highway except with the approval of or in accordance with guidelines published by VicRoads. These guidelines are contained
in the Vehicle Standards Information sheets 8 and 32. Depending on the nature of the modification, a Vehicle Assessment Signatory Scheme (VASS) Approval Certificate may be required.
https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safe...ds-information

...specifically No. 8:

Quote:
Engines
VSB 14 Modification Code LA Modifications listed under section 1.1 and 4 of VSB 14 section LA are considered to be approved modifications when conducted in accordance with instructions and compliance with Standards for Registration are maintained.
In all cases, if the engine is modified such that the resulting power increase is greater than 20% it must be certified by a VASS Signatory under the relevant Code of Section LA.
VASS Contact List here

Last edited by Ratmick; 13-09-2021 at 12:07 AM. Reason: added link
Ratmick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2021, 12:17 AM   #8
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Wrecked heaps of these cars back in the day when they were worth nothing

I would start with checking the ID tags of both cars and posting up the engine trans and diff codes, from this we can work out if your LTD has a 351 engine or a 302, FMX gearbox or a C4, A LSD or a single spinner.

With this information we can work out if you need to change the diff centre or just the brakes, if you need to get a tailshaft made or just change the yolk, it is a job for someone with a bit of mechanical experience, but not impossible for a first timer with a bit of help from people who have done it before.
prktkljokr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-09-2021, 06:25 AM   #9
sacko7
Starter Motor

Thankyou people for your replies and comments and I have taken all advice on board. Unfortunately there is not a panel or sill on the LTD that is not rusted out. I know most things are fixable but this lived out in a paddock for years and the interior is the same. Only the running gear appears salvageable. The Xe has been restored and repainted twice in its life and is fully registered at the moment. On your advice I will contact Vic Roads for their advice. Many thanks again
Sacko7
sacko7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-09-2021, 08:27 AM   #10
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How can a 1984 LTD have a leaf spring rear end.

AFAIK the last leaf sprung LTD was the FC series (1979 to 1982).

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: