Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-09-2021, 07:11 PM   #31
MercuryT
Banned

Default Re: Car Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dog View Post
The problem with this story is you didn't name the insurance company!
CommInsure.

Feel better?
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-09-2021, 07:26 PM   #32
hayseed

Speaking as someone who has paid the best part of a Million Dollars in Insurance Premiums over the last 34 Years..

I can assure you, That. Cheapest isn't always the Best.. particularly if your livehood depends on It.. When push comes to shove. The Claims process & Its management are far more important than the Cheapest Quote..

Go & have a yarn with a few Smash repair Shops & ask them who are the Fairest least argumentative to deal With.
As has being mentioned . The move to online assessing & quoting hasn't helped either..
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 08-09-2021, 08:48 PM   #33
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
Funnily my wife has had 2 insurance claims with Budget.
Our eldest had a good stack in her car, lost control in the wet round a corner, no speeding involved, a right off, no fuss or hassles money paid out.
That was over 5yrs ago.
2nd son done it with her next car (like wtf kids right) , went up the a rse of a mazda ute tray back, again car was a right off, about 3yrs ago, paid up no worries again.

We can't knock them whereas some do, there's always good and not so good stories no matter these Insurance companies.

Yep forget these compare offerings, just do your own research x 2 or 3 easy enough, there's always a saving to find today.
Budget are OK if the cars a write off (I was with them when a hail storm wrote off my courier). Sure I had to argue, bargain to settle for a lower amount, but every insurer insuring for market value is like that these days so I'm not holding that against them.

Biggest issue with them is when not at fault and/or they're repairing the car.

When the car is isn't a write off or you're not at fault and getting done over by the person at fault (ie the other person gave bad details, or is uninsured, you needing pay excess when not at fault), is when I've heard biggest issues, plus if it's being repaired then big delays and not the best job done repairing etc.

Plus they're not so budget these days. Depending on your details and the car, more helpful bigger insurers could be cheaper. Depends on whether you likely to need insurance for repairs of your own car, ie things like age, make/model, whether you're likely to be hit, whether your car is worth so little or has no parts so it's likely to be declared a write off for hard hits etc.
One type of person would be happy with budget, and another might want to be talking to smash repairs as mentioned and chose another insurer.

Last edited by oldel; 08-09-2021 at 08:55 PM.
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-09-2021, 09:12 PM   #34
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryT View Post
CommInsure.

Feel better?
As a lawyer, albeit a property lawyer, I’m surprised you didn’t stand your ground and insist they pay the cost to cover the car they chose to insure. They took your payments annually/monthly knowing the risk your car costs to repair so they have no say in what the price of repairing the car will be, unless it’s deemed as write off.

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
73 4V XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 08-09-2021, 09:46 PM   #35
slowsnake
Banned

It's funny reading all these stories, mainly because they hammer you from every medium they can, radio, magazines, internet and TV etc, I don't have fully comp any more, just 3rd party property, but when I was fully insuring my cars I used NRMA in NSW on my 85 Corvette Coupe, it was a 1 month cover note, on a car that had never been registered in Australia, they just asked for VIN and if it was RHD with Engineers Cert, Yes, $30,000 cover

My VW Transporter van with RACWA , my 1 year old Mazda Bravo Dual Cab RACWA who informed me 4 weeks after renewal premium $780.00 for $26,000.00 cover that the value is now $21,000.00, and my offroad aluminium body camper trailer, with Suncorp Qld.

I sold the Bravo 2 months into my annual cover started, I asked to transfer balance to Corvette, said no, I was refunded $370.00 2 months into a 12 month cover, go work that one out

A necessary evil I'm afraid!

Cheers Billy
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2021, 03:01 PM   #36
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73 4V XB View Post
As a lawyer, albeit a property lawyer, I’m surprised you didn’t stand your ground and insist they pay the cost to cover the car they chose to insure. They took your payments annually/monthly knowing the risk your car costs to repair so they have no say in what the price of repairing the car will be, unless it’s deemed as write off.
Trust me mate I did stand my ground and argued exactly that for 3 bloody months.

You are exactly right and if they had a problem it certainly didn't rest with me the holder of the policy I paid for in good faith.

It just became exhausting and as the other company stepped in it solved the problem and I was completely over it by then....

Remember I didn't take no for an answer it was just solved a different way. (which I didn't know could occur)

I did put in a complaint Obviously a waste of time.
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: