Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2020, 11:35 AM   #1
Gas Wagon AUII
Starter Motor

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed View Post
That's the spirit!
Covid, made round to go round, catch it while you can.
Sooo, entering a Bunnings, whilst wearing PPE, maintaining distancing, behaving hygienically like I've been doing for 20 weeks straight, is a problem ?
I live solo, was made redundant 2 yrs ago, don't have a job, I spent 10 hours applying for Jobseeker - only to be rejected due my income being couple hundred bucks above annual limit, (current Jobseeker's & Jobkeeper's earn thousands more than my meagre self supporting annual income). Even after spending 40 yrs paying taxes, most of it in Melb's once strong manufacturing industry - and yes some of it at Broadmeadows Ford manufacturing - and never being on the teet previously = Zero govt support. The reason I went to Bunnings is to do maintenance on my 90 year old timber house. I'm looking at another minimum of 6 weeks straight at being at home, with no legal reason allowed to be anywhere else. Should I be discouraged from being active around the house ? Are other people in my position finding a lack of support; is our mental health even important ?
All because someone ate a Bat. Then someone else neglected to provide EFFECTIVE quarantine for our island nation.
The BEST part of this six months of home detention, will be that;
I've learned to lower my expectations of governments everywhere -
that way, they find it very difficult to disappoint me ;) yee haah
4 users like this post:
Old 03-08-2020, 11:41 AM   #2
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

It’s near Messianic, the fervour. Everyone is waiting for the Saviour (vaccine or elimination, depending on your doctrine), and decrying the unbelievers.
4 users like this post:
Old 03-08-2020, 12:41 PM   #3
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Australian Jesus might say "Just stay the f@#k at home c&%ce"

Gas Wagon AUII similar here with applying, holding breath time, so I see it as time to get things done, better future afterward, good luck on the house and hope you can continue to get parts to do it up well.
Old 03-08-2020, 01:19 PM   #4
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Wagon AUII View Post
Sooo, entering a Bunnings, whilst wearing PPE, maintaining distancing, behaving hygienically like I've been doing for 20 weeks straight, is a problem ?
I live solo, was made redundant 2 yrs ago, don't have a job, I spent 10 hours applying for Jobseeker - only to be rejected due my income being couple hundred bucks above annual limit, (current Jobseeker's & Jobkeeper's earn thousands more than my meagre self supporting annual income). Even after spending 40 yrs paying taxes, most of it in Melb's once strong manufacturing industry - and yes some of it at Broadmeadows Ford manufacturing - and never being on the teet previously = Zero govt support. The reason I went to Bunnings is to do maintenance on my 90 year old timber house. I'm looking at another minimum of 6 weeks straight at being at home, with no legal reason allowed to be anywhere else. Should I be discouraged from being active around the house ? Are other people in my position finding a lack of support; is our mental health even important ?
All because someone ate a Bat. Then someone else neglected to provide EFFECTIVE quarantine for our island nation.
The BEST part of this six months of home detention, will be that;
I've learned to lower my expectations of governments everywhere -
that way, they find it very difficult to disappoint me ;) yee haah
It was just the last line of the post that seemed to be in glaringly stark contrast to the rest of your post which I wholeheartedly agree with.
I've found I can get everything delivered except cigs.
Old 03-08-2020, 01:47 PM   #5
Gas Wagon AUII
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed View Post
It was just the last line of the post that seemed to be in glaringly stark contrast to the rest of your post which I wholeheartedly agree with.
I've found I can get everything delivered except cigs.

thanks - appreciated.
yeh you're right - it is a stark contrast to the rest - I'm sensible 90% of the time. I did have misgivings about hardware shopping - but having the govt snooker me on seemingly every front lately - I felt the need to get at least something for moi !
Weary of bleating media's tales of whingers who get all manner of handouts - but are still never satisfied. When most countries' populace get zero and just have to wing it.
Think I'll go into media hibernation for a few months;
stay happy & dream big :-)
Old 03-08-2020, 06:10 PM   #6
gooseneck
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Wagon AUII View Post
I live solo, was made redundant 2 yrs ago, don't have a job, I spent 10 hours applying for Jobseeker - only to be rejected due my income being couple hundred bucks above annual limit, (current Jobseeker's & Jobkeeper's earn thousands more than my meagre self supporting annual income). Even after spending 40 yrs paying taxes
Jobseeker didn't exist 2 years ago, you mean Newstart?

Also you said you had an income but didn't have a job... doesn't make sense.

Government handouts are for people who would be homeless without it and would starve otherwise. Not for those like you looking for an easy way to pay off the mortgage.

You also have a massive equity supply in that home that you own, I think it was 10 years ago when the Liberal Gov made it harder for people with more than 1 million dollars in equity to apply for any government payment until they've dipped into that.

There are people out there breaking their backs earning $140 a fortnight delivering newspapers. Its those people who need Jobseeker so they can feel less suicidal and hopefully find a job.

Last edited by gooseneck; 03-08-2020 at 06:32 PM.
This user likes this post:
Old 03-08-2020, 06:16 PM   #7
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooseneck View Post

Government handouts are for people who would be homeless without it and would starve otherwise. Not for those like you looking for an easy way to pay off the mortgage.

You also have a massive equity supply in that home that you own, I think it was 10 years ago when the Liberal Govvinment (the one you voted in) made it harder for people with more than 1 million dollars in equity to apply for any government payment until they've dipped into that.

Serves yourself right I guess for voting Liberals in to undo the stuff that Labor did to Centerlink.

There are people out there breaking their backs earning $140 a fortnight delivering newspapers. Its those people who need Jobseeker so they can feel less suicidal and hopefully find a job.
Makes perfect sense if you know what a redundancy payout is!

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
2 users like this post:
Old 03-08-2020, 06:18 PM   #8
gooseneck
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
Makes perfect sense if you know what a redundancy payout is!
Whats that?

If thats the case then you get this:
https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au...e-period/29106

Quote:
We may reduce or waive this waiting period. We can only do this if the financial hardship is due to unavoidable or reasonable expenses. You’ll need to give us proof such as receipts.
https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au...86#unavoidable

This is how strict Centerlink is now:
Quote:
Example of waiving the liquid assets waiting period

When Jenny finished work she had $8,400 in savings. She has claimed JobSeeker Payment and has a 6 week liquid assets waiting period.

At her phone appointment, Jenny tells us she doesn’t have that much money any more. She has just spent $1,200 replacing the tyres on her car and $1,000 registering it. This reduced her liquid assets to $6,200.

This is still above the maximum fortnightly rate of JobSeeker Payment for a single person. We don’t consider her to be in severe financial hardship. Jenny will still have to wait the 6 week period.

Jenny calls us 4 weeks later to say she’s been in a car accident. She’s just paid $5,000 to repair her car. She’s also spent $1000 in the last 4 weeks on costs of living. She’s now got less than $200 to live on.

We now consider Jenny to be in severe financial hardship. We’ll waive her waiting period from the date she told us about her accident because she met all these conditions:

her available funds are now less than the maximum payment rate for a single person
she gave us receipts for the tyres, registration and car repairs
her reasonable costs of living are less than what she would get per fortnight for her maximum payment rate.
$200 to live on and now she qualifies.

They want you to burn through that money first then go after them crawling on all fours looking for a coat to tug on "Please sir, may I have some more?"

"MOOORE!!?" They say.

Last edited by gooseneck; 03-08-2020 at 06:28 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 03-08-2020, 06:30 PM   #9
prydey
Rob

S.A. taking no chances. Some restrictions coming back from midnight Tuesday...
Old 03-08-2020, 06:37 PM   #10
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
S.A. taking no chances. Some restrictions coming back from midnight Tuesday...

Thought it might happen but not that quickly
Thats gonna upset plans... better let the missus know
Old 03-08-2020, 06:57 PM   #11
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Whats that?

My redundancy payout from my previous employer of 16 years was my income for the following 18 months, and i didn't have a job..........again, makes perfect sense to me!!

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 03-08-2020, 06:18 PM   #12
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Some details of what is being closed in Victoria,
https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/guide-bu...strictions-doc
Old 03-08-2020, 06:30 PM   #13
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:

You also have a massive equity supply in that home that you own, I think it was 10 years ago when the Liberal Govvinment (the one you voted in) made it harder for people with more than 1 million dollars in equity to apply for any government payment until they've dipped into that.

Serves yourself right I guess for voting Liberals in to undo the stuff that Labor did to Centerlink.

Please stop twisting other members posts to suit your way of thinking.

Gas Wagon AUII has made no mention of where he lives, who he voted for or what his income is.

Try to stick to the topic please.
Old 03-08-2020, 06:47 PM   #14
gooseneck
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Please stop twisting other members posts to suit your way of thinking.

Gas Wagon AUII has made no mention of where he lives, who he voted for or what his income is.

Try to stick to the topic please.
His post is trollish.

I'll stick to the topic but so should he.

I also don't recall any twisting going on, yes I assumed but it was a pretty good one considering he's bashing the government after working for "40 years".

And yet you come after me?

Read this:
Quote:
I'm sensible 90% of the time. I did have misgivings about hardware shopping - but having the govt snooker me on seemingly every front lately - I felt the need to get at least something for moi !
Weary of bleating media's tales of whingers who get all manner of handouts - but are still never satisfied.
What do you think now? I'll shut up but by god read his posts.

Should also mention that I thanked him for his insight into the LPG industry which was his very first post.
Old 03-08-2020, 06:53 PM   #15
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
His post is trollish.

I'll stick to the topic but so should he.

I also don't recall any twisting going on, yes I assumed but it was a pretty good one considering he's bashing the government after working for "40 years".

And yet you come after me?

Read this:

What do you think now? I'll shut up but by god read his posts.

Should also mention that I thanked him for his insight into the LPG industry which was his very first post.
#zilo........
2 users like this post:
Old 03-08-2020, 07:01 PM   #16
gooseneck
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
#zilo........
Would you call someone who has worked for 20 years as a carer for his two disabled parents a zilo?

Someone with a broken back? Now who's assuming stuff?

I've got both, baby.

Seems to me we're not wanted anywhere. Seems to me that when you break your back at 12 years old and refuse to get the surgery done because of what the doctors did to your father's back after his truck accident that your life is over.

I don't want to hear this crap any more than you guys want to hear my troubles. Fact is I'm still alive because of those handouts.
Old 04-08-2020, 12:33 AM   #17
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
#zilo........
#pottery beige......
Old 03-08-2020, 06:33 PM   #18
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Government handouts are for people who would be homeless without it and would starve otherwise.

Maybe that is how it should be, but certainly is not.

No handouts for me and my fam but I know people in a far better position than I working out whether to bank their extra $$$'s or put it back into the economy like, you know, its supposed to be used.

I know someone who owns 2 properties, who could buy a handful more tomorrow, deciding this right now. I lost 20% of my salary, no handouts, and remain grateful it wasn't 100%.
5 users like this post:
Closed Thread