Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 06-04-2006, 04:28 PM   #31
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8
The film companies will try to make money out of anythingand the yanks are the worst of the lot
They always try to glorify their defeats as acts of terrorism yet they are responsible for the greatest act of terrorism known to man in their bombing of the japanese people.
The effects of the Hiroshima atomic bombing is still being felt half a decade on.
yes it was a retaliation but Perl Harbor was a military target but downtown Hiroshima isn't.
Where are all the movies about that
That's a pretty big kettle of fish. Drop 'the bomb' or risk having the japanese take allied countries like Australia? Pretty horrific thing to do to a civilian city - but brought a decade of war to an end didnt it?

I think its a 'bit rich' sitting here on the internet judging political leader's decisions. Particularly when those decisions brought an end to the war in the pacific.
Old 06-04-2006, 04:32 PM   #32
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Hold on .... don't the site rules and regs state the following:

In short, the following things are not permitted:

1. Posts about or containing references to: religion, race, sensitive or controversial subjects.

Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2006, 04:49 PM   #33
EFDream
XRR83D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Hold on .... don't the site rules and regs state the following:

In short, the following things are not permitted:

1. Posts about or containing references to: religion, race, sensitive or controversial subjects.

Can't we talk about the "friendly dissagreements" between Fords and Holdens???? Controversial? :alien2:

2007 Suzuki Swift - Pearl Red
Povo Pack

EFDream is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2006, 06:09 PM   #34
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
That's a pretty big kettle of fish. Drop 'the bomb' or risk having the japanese take allied countries like Australia? Pretty horrific thing to do to a civilian city - but brought a decade of war to an end didnt it?

I think its a 'bit rich' sitting here on the internet judging political leader's decisions. Particularly when those decisions brought an end to the war in the pacific.

Yes it is a pretty big statement and not meant to offend anyone but it is a fair point i believe.
If japan had bombed the cities of America like Detroit to knock out the Economy and disrupt production of weapons manufacture then alls fair, but Perl Harbor was naval and fair game.To retalliate and kill hundreds of thousands if not millions of people who are just going about their business does not sit as fair play in my mind.
do you believe killing innocent people wins wars? Well im sorry but its plain and simply genecide aka the mass annhialation of people to suit ones cause.
Your not saying that the almighty U.S. navy couldn't beat the Japanese in open sea battle fair and squarely r u .
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2006, 06:23 PM   #35
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

with regard to the op's proposition to boycott the movie, from my viewpoint I think that it depends what the movie is.

If it is the usual Hollywood pap along the lines of americans = good guys, swarthy bearded people = bad guys, then I wouldn't bother.

If however it goes against Hollywood doctrine and actually tries to unravel the events that led up to September 11, 2001 it may be worth the price of admission.

For those who can grasp that not all is black or white there is an interesting read that looks at the history of US - Middle East machinations over a number of decades:- http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/pa-159.html

Yes, it's a long read but if it's too much for you there may be a summary on The Simpsons...
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2006, 06:38 PM   #36
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura

The war was already won when the bombs were dropped, diplomatic manouvres were already under way to end it. The bombs were dropped purely for "live fire" testing on carefully selected targets that had minimal war/bomb damage,to better analize the results. If it was to end the war outright, then tokyo or somewhere of greater military/econimic value would have been chosen
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2006, 06:47 PM   #37
Doogstar
B-Series Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by slection
250,000 people died in the Indonesian Tsunamis, and yet you say that and people are meh, then you mention 9/11 and people go crazy
I think The Onion's headline sums up the general american attitude, "Tsunami Death Toll Rises To 36 Americans". Though as mentioned, the fact that 9-11 was not a natural disaster and the impact and repercussions it had on the entire world, make it stand out as an important historical event that will never be forgotten.

A movie about 9-11 was inevitable, at least they can't put a happy ending on this one. I won't be judging it until I know more about it.

380rwkw - 11.68 @ 120.94mph 60ft=1.97
Custom Tune, Exhaust. injectors.1.2K Plazmaman 1.2K Plenum kit

Now with bigger turbo and 426rwkw.
Doogstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2006, 06:54 PM   #38
4.9 EF Futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8
Your not saying that the almighty U.S. navy couldn't beat the Japanese in open sea battle fair and squarely r u .
I'm not sure what im saying lol. I guess its a matter of - do we take the risk and scare the heck out of the world or do we keep fighting as we have been and see how it goes? Fairly major hand to bluff on.

Nugget id rather not get into a "thing" about this. I will take your point at face value.

The whole area a little "grey" for my liking.

Cheers.
Old 06-04-2006, 06:54 PM   #39
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
It depends on who funds it, directs and produces it.. If it is a one eyed version not for me thanks, but a true depiction of the event I don't have an issue with it.
100% Guarantee that won't happen, since its so political it wouldn't be possible.
M14A-Mclaren is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2006, 06:55 PM   #40
4.9 EF Futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogstar
I think The Onion's headline sums up the general american attitude, "Tsunami Death Toll Rises To 36 Americans".
Pretty sure you'll find that australian culture is no different. Any major event like that and the focus remains on how many australians are hurt. Bali bombings being a prime example. A lot of people killed... didnt see too many australians shedding a tear for the innocent indonesians who died there.
Old 06-04-2006, 07:04 PM   #41
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Dropping a bomb on Japan didn't end any wars it just started the new craze WEAPONS RACE and so attention was diverted to who could build the biggest, most destructive bomb aka weapon of mass destruction( gee i heard a little man in washington talking about them rescently, bad news apparently, or is that just in the hands of their enemy and ok for them)
any way back to the original subject, i say watch it if its factual and educational, if not watch it coz the V8's aren't on.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2006, 07:30 PM   #42
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Freak
What happened on the 9th of November?

FF
LOL i hear ya buddy ! :
Old 06-04-2006, 07:42 PM   #43
5.0failane

Before you watch a US blockbuster about the 'real' events of 911. Watch a movie called "911 In Plane Sight" it changed my outlook.
5.0failane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2006, 08:15 PM   #44
Kenster

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusher
Im gonna watch it. If it comes out on dvd that is. not gonna pay to see it at the movies. too expensive.

What a bunch of crap is being spewed forth. Its about people who had the balls to stand up and try to take back the plane. Good on em.

And nine eleven? Since when did all you blokes, who would all call yourselves aussies and proud of it, turn into yanks? September eleventh. 11-9. Sick of aussies turning into seppos. "Zee" instead of "Zed" really annoys the crap out of me. But whatever.

Dont wanna see it then dont. Let people make up there own mind about seeing it and dont pressure people into boycotting because you have a problem. People do that way to much. They have a problem so everyone must have a problem with it.

meh.

i agreed with you there to much Aussie are being Americanist as we speak, even thou im an Asian Aussie honestly Australia is already losing it main voice to the world now everything has to do somewhat out of US interest
Kenster is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2006, 08:18 PM   #45
Dodge
i like to be stroked

far out we had to watch mad max wreck some coupes
Old 06-04-2006, 08:21 PM   #46
Aeron
DJR Fan

I saw the real thing. I don’t need to watch the movie.
EC 1:51.283
WP 1:10.190

Me Drifting on the Skid Pan **Video**
Aeron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2006, 09:42 PM   #47
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

Most of the movies being made about 9/11 are to glorify flight 93 AFAIK, the whole Americans overcoming terror and fighting back, the type of thing that makes Americans start banging on about they're greatness, singing the national anthem, putting the American flag out, buying American products and that type of thing, I don't think it would really appeal to many non-Americans. Just my opinion.
M14A-Mclaren is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2006, 11:10 PM   #48
ronwest

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14A-Mclaren
I don't think it would really appeal to many non-Americans. Just my opinion.
you may be spot on, but you never know, every now and then there is a pearl amongst swine...
Old 06-04-2006, 11:45 PM   #49
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What?

We watch war/disaster/religion movies all the time, from ALL era's and places.. You know how much Mel Gibson got from The Passion of Christ right? And people FLOCKED to that movie all over the world.. talk about making money off an event ey.

The worlds a business, of course they'll make a movie out of it. It is interesting that the people affected by it are supporting it though, perhaps they want the deceased to be given an almost 'hero' status by watchers?
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2006, 11:54 PM   #50
gtfpv
GT

WELL IF IT IS A hollywood blockbuster. then it will be all about american heroes .
and then an X'BOX game will come out.
it may completely be extremely offensive to other countries as well . the pot doesnt need to be stirred further. dont forget who ever writes the books gets the story told the way they want it to be told. thats why i'm against it.
i hope my post hasnt looked biased in any way . as i said if people differ from my opinion that is ok .
but i hope it is a flop. i think everybody knows the story . i dont think it needs to be made into a movie nor do i think it will be educational.
i think it is an invesment where returns are expected . which is a form of exploitation.it will be advertised and marketed. and one sided .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2006, 12:11 AM   #51
ronwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
WELL IF IT IS A hollywood blockbuster. then it will be all about american heroes .
if that's the case then it will make money or not but there is every chance that most of the victim's families and friends will be happy it was made.

Others can make a judgement on it's artistic or historical worth.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:43 AM   #52
K_Man
Whoa, this is heavy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0failane
Before you watch a US blockbuster about the 'real' events of 911. Watch a movie called "911 In Plane Sight" it changed my outlook.
You're kidding right? Is that the doco that was on TV a few months back with some old guy in a very crappy sweater dribbling nonsense about some random flash before the second plane hit the towers? Each to their own, I just dont see how someone could of believed that crap.
Old 07-04-2006, 04:23 AM   #53
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

My sister and I were both watching it on the news and on the phone at the same time and I remember her saying "they'll make a movie about this mark my words". How true!
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2006, 07:26 AM   #54
NZ
~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Freak
What happened on the 9th of November?

FF
Yeah why dont we refer to it as 119?

(took me a while to work out what your comment meant haha)

"the man that crashs AFF"
NZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2006, 08:36 AM   #55
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Don't worry - soon enough they will make a 3d computer action game out of it like all the WW1, WW2, Iraq, Afgan, Vietnam, and other wars and killings that have happened. You could be the hero of the day and crash the plane into a GM plant!

Bad humor, but I'm so sick of hearing 9/11. Just gives another reason for Americans to talk louder.

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2006, 10:16 AM   #56
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Afterall, from an idealistic point of view, it's the continuation of Free Speach, Capitalism and the free market economy.
That's what I was thinking...how to pi$$ the terrorists off, show them a good dose of western consumerism at it's best. Hope they make millions.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2006, 12:11 PM   #57
Valknutr

Ok, go look at the site on the net, no america is the best bullИИИИ, its all about the people on that flight giving their lives to defend their country, good on them i say.
As you go through the site, it has point of facts about the day, steps of what happened, voice clips of the people calling home to call their loved ones, to speak to them for the last time before they died. Sit for a second and think of how you would feel doing that.
Im sorry bit i WILL be going to see this movie, its not to early for it, the families have accepted it they want to and they are the ONLY people whos opinions matter truthfully on this subject. Im not saying that everyones opinions dont matter, they do, but unless you had a family member onboard that plane and object then please, for the families sake, see this film to honour these people.
Oh and im talking about United 93, there is another film being made called World Trade Centre (i think) as well
Old 07-04-2006, 01:18 PM   #58
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Have

A

Cry
Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2006, 02:16 PM   #59
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

Theres also a point you ALL are missing...

If the movie was "that bad and controversial" they would BAN IT!
No one would see it, problem solved.

They've banned movies in the past and im sure it will happen again sooner or later.

Obviously it has been deemed appropriate for viewing.

If you dont like the content dont watch it plain and simple.
The rest of us will make up our own minds if we see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkinshaw
Have

A

Cry
You left out "Ya Big girls BLOUSE" :P
AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post