Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 14-02-2005, 04:39 PM   #1
CHARGER
Jiggy Up Yourself Man

Default EF Oil Leak, Timing Gear Assembly

Gday guys, My EF has an oil leak from the front of the engine, ive tightened up the sump and still have it, looks like it is coming from the timing gear assembly, Common problem apprently and Ive been told to do it properly you have to pull the head off, drop the sump and pull the front out of the car basically.

Anyone have any ways of fixing this without going to that extent at all?

Cheers in advance.

Last edited by CHARGER; 14-02-2005 at 04:48 PM.
CHARGER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2005, 05:04 PM   #2
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I guess you really have to find out exactly where the leak is comming from first. Get a can of degreaser down there and clean it all of and then watch carefully for a couple of days. It could be comming from the crank seal, one of the gaskets on the side, or even the timing chain tensioner (tucked in between the PS pump and the engine).
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2005, 05:20 PM   #3
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

I remember I had a problem like this. Oil was leakin out of the rocker cover, but this sounds like it's coming from out below.

Oh, yeah, I had this problem too. I remember. This was when my dizzy and coil went. I had it sitting at the mechanics and he degreased it after he took a metal plate out from underneath it and it leaked like a running tap.

How it hasn't kept on leaking has got me f**ked though. I gave it an oil change and it hasn't leaked since.
Old 14-02-2005, 05:33 PM   #4
CHARGER
Jiggy Up Yourself Man

definately not from the rocker cover, and ive tightened up the sump enough to not damage the gasket but so its tight, havent completely inspected it yet, fact of being lazy and not having time. Gave a local mechanic a quick ring today and yeah said to do it properly gotta pull engine out, head off, drop sump, pull radiator out to do it then shave head and wack it all back together if no other problems are found, quoted around $1000 which I cant really justify spending on it.
Old 14-02-2005, 05:36 PM   #5
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

It does sound like it's coming from the timing gear area. Mine leaked onto the drive belt and spat oil all over my engine bay.
Old 14-02-2005, 05:37 PM   #6
CHARGER
Jiggy Up Yourself Man

yeah mines not quiet that bad "yet", just leaves a bit of oil on the driveway and ****ing me off, cant see any oil around fan belts or anything like that just basically drops down front of sump and crossmember.
Old 14-02-2005, 09:44 PM   #7
Thanatos
E-Series Owners Club

If it is the timing case seal, you can try running some silicon along it. It worked for Rmyers' car, and although it may seem dodgy, it sure beats paying $1000 to fix a minor oil leak!
Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2005, 11:15 AM   #8
CHARGER
Jiggy Up Yourself Man

Going up on the hoist in a couple of hours to check it out properly and ill see what I come up with, ill be doing the silicon trick if I can.
Old 15-02-2005, 11:22 AM   #9
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just be careful with what you silicon - dont try to glue the seal around the crankshaft
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2005, 12:00 PM   #10
CHARGER
Jiggy Up Yourself Man

yep looks like its the seal I suspected, frigging ford using cork gaskets instead of rubber, oh well. Just before I go putting silicone everywhere does anyone have any other ideas for doing this gasket without having to pull the head off and everything else?.

If all else fails im going to drain the oil, degrease everything then try get some silicone to stick, and do me oil change while im at it.

PS Does anyone no of anywhere I can get diagrams/operating manual/workshop manuals free off the net??

Cheers.