Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-01-2018, 01:39 PM   #1
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 
Default Supercheap Auto - Local Mechanic Finder Service with Reviews & Quotes

(Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Supercheap Auto, its subsidiaries or recommended mechanics, just providing this info to those that may be interested).

There are times when you may not want to take your car to the dealership for repairs or service but prefer a local independent.

The problem for many, is who to take it to, who to trust, what will they charge and do they have good customer feedback?

This Supercheap service finder sends your request to local mechanics and automotive service providers in your area.
You can specify;
  • What you need to be fixed from comprehensive drop-down lists
  • How urgent or when you need it fixed
  • Make, model and year series of your car

It is quite comprehensive...

For example, if you select "brakes", it then further drills down to a multiple choice menu of another 18 brake issues that you specifically need looked at or done to them if you know. If you don't it does not matter.

After submitting your request, you get up to 3 email or phone quotes from local mechanics willing to do the work.

You can then see the feedback and reviews received by each mechanic from customers before deciding who to go with.

Local Mechanic & Services Finder

GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-01-2018, 02:53 PM   #2
theBlake

Default Re: Supercheap Auto - Local Mechanic Finder Service with Reviews & Quotes

I have done a few quotes and found their service to be quite expensive.
I still use local mechanics, much cheaper.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:16 PM   #3
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 
Default Re: Supercheap Auto - Local Mechanic Finder Service with Reviews & Quotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBlake View Post
I have done a few quotes and found their service to be quite expensive.
I still use local mechanics, much cheaper.
If nothing else, it can still be a useful tool in getting a ball park quote on getting something repaired if you are not sure.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:04 PM   #4
Itsme
Experienced Member

Whatever happened to the days of ringing around for your self?
People getting too lazy.
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-01-2018, 08:27 PM   #5
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Find a good trusted mechanic / workshop, no middle man or price markup & cheaper better service in the long run imo.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2018, 10:49 PM   #6
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just tried to get a quote to do timing belt change but got message No mechancs available
Tassie f100 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2018, 11:05 PM   #7
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Just tried to get a quote to do timing belt change but got message No mechancs available
Most will be back on deck this monday 7th I would imagine.
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2018, 08:37 AM   #8
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
Whatever happened to the days of ringing around for your self?
People getting too lazy.
People can get taken advantage of though. A tool like this would be great as it'd just give you the answer to your question without all the faffing around, and from multiple people which will help keep prices consistent.

And who has the time to go through it all by calling multiple people? When I ring around to try and get a price on some work, half the time they ask why you think that's what the problem is / what is the car actually doing / can you bring it round for them to double check that's what the problem is. I just want an estimate price for whatever it is I've asked for but it's like you have to convince them of what the problem is before they'll even give it to you. Then go through it all again to call another shop and compare price.

There was a bridgestone near me that used to be really good. They were honest, upfront about charges and never did more than they said they would. Then one day I went in and most of the staff had been changed over, almost everyone was gone. I'd been there the week prior and they were all there so they all either abandoned ship over a week or were fired. I've no idea what happened but I guess maybe there was some sort of dispute with management and they all left.
I wish I knew where they'd all gone as I would have kept taking my car to them but instead I stopped going to that bridgestone shop, big changes like that make me nervous.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2018, 09:51 AM   #9
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The problem with this arrangement will be the disclaimers that get them out of the "best price quote"

How can any mechanic be expected to diagnose & quote a job without seeing the car? They are relying on someone, often with no real vehicle knowledge, to diagnose the fault for them. It's worse than the insurance industry with photos for assessment & bidding on jobs based on photos - at least they have photos to work with.....

I can see this being a minefield of clauses, or litigation will be rife.
"Hey, here's my car you quoted on. Can you fix it please?"

"Yeah mate, I quoted you $300 fitted for new rotors & pads to fix the brake shudder, but it's now going to be $900 because both front wheel bearings are stuffed, and there's worn control arm bushes that are also contributing."

""Nah man, just do the brakes that you quoted me for $300."

"OK, but I've warned you"

"Man, I spent $300 getting the brakes done, and it still shudders, you're a ripoff mongrel, I'm going to put it all over facebook how you didn't fix my car properly, and now you want another $600. This is extortion"

Anyone in the automotive game has seen this sort of customer - sometimes weekly.....
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 06-01-2018, 10:02 AM   #10
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
The problem with this arrangement will be the disclaimers that get them out of the "best price quote"

How can any mechanic be expected to diagnose & quote a job without seeing the car? They are relying on someone, often with no real vehicle knowledge, to diagnose the fault for them. It's worse than the insurance industry with photos for assessment & bidding on jobs based on photos - at least they have photos to work with.....

I can see this being a minefield of clauses, or litigation will be rife.
"Hey, here's my car you quoted on. Can you fix it please?"

"Yeah mate, I quoted you $300 fitted for new rotors & pads to fix the brake shudder, but it's now going to be $900 because both front wheel bearings are stuffed, and there's worn control arm bushes that are also contributing."

""Nah man, just do the brakes that you quoted me for $300."

"OK, but I've warned you"

"Man, I spent $300 getting the brakes done, and it still shudders, you're a ripoff mongrel, I'm going to put it all over facebook how you didn't fix my car properly, and now you want another $600. This is extortion"

Anyone in the automotive game has seen this sort of customer - sometimes weekly.....
I went to a trans shop yesterday to get a service done on my taxi.

He put me in the passenger seat and we went for a drive before and after. Plus gave me a statement of works.

Awesome guy and knows his stuff, also a smart man covering his a$$

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-01-2018, 11:25 AM   #11
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehoon View Post
I went to a trans shop yesterday to get a service done on my taxi.

He put me in the passenger seat and we went for a drive before and after. Plus gave me a statement of works.

Awesome guy and knows his stuff, also a smart man covering his a$$
Australian Transmission Centre in Parramatta do the same thing, spend a lot of time on each car & their prices are always very reasonable. One of the guys, Joe, is a Ford nut whose knowledge of trans & models is incredible. They have been very good to me over the years & the prices haven't gone up in the last 5 years. If your nearby, & have gearbox or trans issues, these guys are completely trustworthy & the shop is spotless which is something I associate with top quality work generally.
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2018, 11:26 AM   #12
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
People can get taken advantage of though. A tool like this would be great as it'd just give you the answer to your question without all the faffing around, and from multiple people which will help keep prices consistent.

And who has the time to go through it all by calling multiple people? When I ring around to try and get a price on some work, half the time they ask why you think that's what the problem is / what is the car actually doing / can you bring it round for them to double check that's what the problem is. I just want an estimate price for whatever it is I've asked for but it's like you have to convince them of what the problem is before they'll even give it to you. Then go through it all again to call another shop and compare price.

There was a bridgestone near me that used to be really good. They were honest, upfront about charges and never did more than they said they would. Then one day I went in and most of the staff had been changed over, almost everyone was gone. I'd been there the week prior and they were all there so they all either abandoned ship over a week or were fired. I've no idea what happened but I guess maybe there was some sort of dispute with management and they all left.
I wish I knew where they'd all gone as I would have kept taking my car to them but instead I stopped going to that bridgestone shop, big changes like that make me nervous.
I'm not arguing what you stated here as any business can do this whether you ring them or go through Local mechanical finder but I will not favour this Local mechanic finder service as this will be biased, this concept is not new and has been known to fail for many customers.

Cheers.
Old 06-01-2018, 03:39 PM   #13
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I'd like to think if a mechanic is worth his asking price he'd be too busy to be answering requests for online quotes.
I know my mechanic would never be a part of it, too busy with walk in work.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 06-01-2018, 04:21 PM   #14
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Could be good for start ups.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2018, 04:26 PM   #15
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarite_guy View Post
Could be good for start ups.
Think of it as the Airtasker site for mechanics.
2 users like this post:
Old 06-01-2018, 04:33 PM   #16
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

Be nice if AFF members could create a database of people they use in their area.

I'm the kind of guy who takes word of mouth over flashy ads or even best prices. Especially when it comes to finding a guy who knows his Aussie Fords.

I have just moved states and am having to learn the hard way (mostly with tradesman with renovating a house) and I'll be looking for a mechanic at some time in the future I'm sure. But that website might be a starting point...

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 06-01-2018, 04:37 PM   #17
Fairlane 500
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
I'd like to think if a mechanic is worth his asking price he'd be too busy to be answering requests for online quotes.
I know my mechanic would never be a part of it, too busy with walk in work.
Exactly,

the best mechanics I know wouldn't have the time to waste on this scheme because they are always flat out busy.

I have found that the ones who have to spend money advertising,
doing this sort of stuff & telling everyone how good they are are only any good in their own minds.

Word of mouth is the best form of advertising IMHO.
Fairlane 500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-01-2018, 05:38 PM   #18
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

This website really would appeal to the younger generations anyway, for example (not car related) when we are recommended a tradie the first thing we do is Google them and see if we can find reviews or threads talking about their work. We know that more often than not many of the reviews you read on the internet are complaints; however you can tell very quickly the whingers and impossible to please from the authentic complaints.

The other telling thing is that if the shop or business has been around for ages has very little internet reviews then it's pretty safe to assume their clientele are happy with them and are worth a look. But I'm a little hesitant on whether they are up to date on newer cars.

Having lived in Asia and seen where the digital future is leading (Australia is quite a few years behind on that front), if you're not on the internet, you won't survive as a business with the tech savvy/reliant generations coming through.

Word of mouth is fantastic, but for how much longer... The internet is becoming "word of mouth".

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-01-2018, 05:55 PM   #19
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Brooksy View Post
This website really would appeal to the younger generations anyway, for example (not car related) when we are recommended a tradie the first thing we do is Google them and see if we can find reviews or threads talking about their work. We know that more often than not many of the reviews you read on the internet are complaints; however you can tell very quickly the whingers and impossible to please from the authentic complaints.

The other telling thing is that if the shop or business has been around for ages has very little internet reviews then it's pretty safe to assume their clientele are happy with them and are worth a look. But I'm a little hesitant on whether they are up to date on newer cars.

Having lived in Asia and seen where the digital future is leading (Australia is quite a few years behind on that front), if you're not on the internet, you won't survive as a business with the tech savvy/reliant generations coming through.

Word of mouth is fantastic, but for how much longer... The internet is becoming "word of mouth".
What you say is very true!

We all know how consumers, especially the Y generation have taken to online shopping... There is no reason why that generation and the next won't think twice about shopping online for a mechanic, plumber, electrician or any trade service in the same way.

Just look at how Airtasker has taken off when you need a task or some work done.

I think many of us older members here, come from a generation of using the yellow pages and printed street directories and in some ways still find it hard to break with old-school ways and thinking.
Old 06-01-2018, 05:55 PM   #20
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Its probably safe to say it could work for those not so experienced with cars, well until they ask someone close who they go to & what they pay to get their car serviced etc lol!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2018, 06:41 PM   #21
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Brooksy View Post

True what you say and this forum and many others is internet and another form of word of mouth, don't you think so.

cheers.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:40 PM   #22
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I consider myself fairly fortunate when it comes to having work done on my cars. When i drop one off i dont worry about what someone else thinks or the quality of the work or even what it will cost me.

No, my biggest concern is when the old buggers are going to retire.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post