Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 15-03-2006, 09:19 PM   #91
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^

Someone got sued for copying someone elses silence. I can't remember names, but the first artist did a 6 minute peice of complete silence.. Then someone later on put a minute of silence in the record, and got sued. lol.

The rouge traders have ripped off more riffs than that one though.. And they're such 'posers' (especially the chick) that it really does get annoying.
And with songs telling the youth to 'fake it baby they won't even know', I really can't take them seriously..
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2006, 09:20 PM   #92
ZC-Cruiser
The car's got pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet
I think you will find that the rogue traders will be paying royalties to the song writer or the record company if the writer is dead to use the riff and the words other wise they would get sued. Even if it is only two sentences and the guitar riff . I do believe that people have been sued before for haveing 5 notes that sound similar to someone elses song.
Well, that's where the real money is - in writing songs, not singing them. Which is why, thank God, the vast majority of the Australian Idiots will fade into insignificance when they realise that they are not making as much money as they thought they might...

Poetic justice really that the people with the true talent get the money...
ZC-Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2006, 09:30 PM   #93
muppet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZC-Cruiser
Well, that's where the real money is - in writing songs, not singing them. Which is why, thank God, the vast majority of the Australian Idiots will fade into insignificance when they realise that they are not making as much money as they thought they might...

Poetic justice really that the people with the true talent get the money...
You got that nail right on the head. Does anyone realy think that britney speers can actually write songs. I think people would be surprised how many of these so called artists dont know jack about music.
Old 15-03-2006, 09:42 PM   #94
ZC-Cruiser
The car's got pickup

Quote:
You got that nail right on the head. Does anyone realy think that britney speers can actually write songs. I think people would be surprised how many of these so called artists dont know jack about music.
I think we "youth impaired" have a pretty good idea of that - since we grew up in the era before cRap (silent "c") and Popstars and Australian Idiot - it is dead set easy to spot true talent.
I reckon that if you think you are going to have a go at singing for a living, you need to sit down and have a listen to some Jackie Wilson, Dinah Washington, Elvis Presley, Tom Jones and singers of that caliber. If you can't produce sounds like they can, STOP RIGHT AWAY!!!! - LOOK FOR ANOTHER CAREER!!!
ZC-Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2006, 09:52 PM   #95
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol. Rap's good, ya bastard =P But only when it's good stuff, and most of it's hip-hop. I know what your talking about but.. just thought i'd poke ;)

I went and saw walk the line (johnny cash) night before last.. Good movie, he was awesome. And watched Ray the night before, yet again, love his stuff.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2006, 09:54 PM   #96
muppet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZC-Cruiser
I think we "youth impaired" have a pretty good idea of that - since we grew up in the era before cRap (silent "c") and Popstars and Australian Idiot - it is dead set easy to spot true talent.
I reckon that if you think you are going to have a go at singing for a living, you need to sit down and have a listen to some Jackie Wilson, Dinah Washington, Elvis Presley, Tom Jones and singers of that caliber. If you can't produce sounds like they can, STOP RIGHT AWAY!!!! - LOOK FOR ANOTHER CAREER!!!
Well I am more of a iron maiden ,judas priest, megadeth kind of guy but playing the guitar for 26 years (started at age 10) gives you a good idea of what a talented muso realy is what ever style they play.
Old 16-03-2006, 12:16 PM   #97
MRSXR-8
I'm a V8 Mum..

Quote:
I think you will find that the rogue traders will be paying royalties to the song writer or the record company if the writer is dead to use the riff and the words other wise they would get sued. Even if it is only two sentences and the guitar riff . I do believe that people have been sued before for haveing 5 notes that sound similar to someone elses song.
I never said anything about someone getting sued, and yes they do pay loyalties to be able to use parts or the whole thing as many other bands have, otherwise they will get sued. Rogue Traders have used a section.

If you go to the begining of the thread some mentioned that "why can't they write their own songs & they are killing a classic".
They have a few words in that are the same along with the riff, but the rest are their own words. As for killing a classic, it has got me to listen to my old music once again just by them using the riff from "My Sharona".
I think just by listening to "Watching me watching you" has made the old music come alive again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reese Bobby (Ricky Bobby's father)....
Shut up, you little pot-lickers, or I'll shove you in the microwave....
MRSXR-8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 01:08 PM   #98
gozza

its called a remix
i think they ruined it but man its not like they stole it...they pay for the rights to do that
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 01:50 PM   #99
LTDHO
The one and only

I aquired the song last night.
I think the riff has been altered enough so that it can only just be recognised.
Isn't that what Rogue Traders do? Sample of other songs?
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 02:02 PM   #100
gozza

yeah thats there niche
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 06:39 PM   #101
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Didn't Van Halen sue those posers who did that song "Celebrate Good Times - Come On"?
It had the exact same riff as "Best of Both Worlds" and they used it without permission.
I remember reading an interview with Eddie Van Halen where he was asked about that and his reply was; "they say imitation is the best form of flattery, I think that's a crock."
Also, Rogue traders are joining the long line of people who can't sing, and just talk their lyrics.

But at least they don't suck as much as so called artists like Avril Lavigne who can't sing live to save herself. I even heard Paul Schaffer and Dave letterman making jokes about it after she strained like hell to get the notes and sang as flat as a tack on their show. It sounded like a cat being murdered and they were saying stuff like "maybe she's having a bad night". This progressively got worse to "maybe she's having a bad year".

Quote: