Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-07-2017, 10:40 AM   #1
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Look out Bugatti, here comes Koenigsegg

G'day all.. I'm not usually that much of a Supercar/Hypercar enthusiast preferring the bread and butter muscle car type stuff and like to drool over the the BMW M , Merc AMG and Porsche and Audi stuff that are more like conventional cars.
A couple of nights ago I was looking at a Ferrari 488 video though that led me to a video about a Swedish hypercar manufacturer called Koenigsegg. They are a hybrid type car range but Oh Mary are they something else !!!!!!!
There are numerous vids now on the owner Christian Koenigsegg and what he's achieved by the time he's in his early 40's but this car , one of a few they build is incredible . It's the Agera R. and associated models.
Here is a vid of the insane performance compared to the incredible Porsche 918
that leaves it in it's wake.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkC_ZZueQ6c
On lots of videos the intoxicating sound of a 5.0 litre V8 TT and the technology of three electric motors AND a revolutionary new drivetrain/trans/ suspension etc. is worth a look. I believe there's a Ford link somewhere too as a couple of vids mention so.
Cheers Rod..
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-07-2017, 10:50 AM   #2
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Default Re: Look out Bugatti, here comes Koenigsegg

Koenigsegg would have to be atop my list for hyper cars. There is a doco on the new One:1 called Apex, if anyone gets a chance to watch it, its fantastic
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2017, 11:30 AM   #3
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
Koenigsegg would have to be atop my list for hyper cars. There is a doco on the new One:1 called Apex, if anyone gets a chance to watch it, its fantastic
G'day...THANKS...I'll look for that. Deepest apologies too guys , It's Christian Von Koenigsegg . I missed the Von bit.
The transmission is something to admire.
Here's a doco on the Agera too. It's really interesting and shows what can happen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GQbOminjmc
Imagine if Australia could do something like this one day. Sweden of course via Koenigsegg does and Denmark does as well. Just can't recall the Danish name of it's company. Both countries have smaller populations than us too.
The Koenigsegg V8 albeit twin turbo is ridiculously addictive to listen to compared to pretty much all other super/hyper cars.
ALMOST SOUNDS AS GOOD AS A GOOD OL' FORD V8 .
Cheers Rod.
This user likes this post:
Old 22-07-2017, 12:41 PM   #4
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

I don't believe Bugatti are too worried. They have not yet released the Chiron off it's leash.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2017, 12:57 PM   #5
lucas2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They Agera R isn't electrically assisted but the new Regera is. I'm curious to see how that fares considering it's direct drive (no transmission). The Chiron would walk an Agera off the line due to traction. There's a video of Chris Harris driving the Chiron at 236mph with only one hand! Super and hypercars are seriously competitive at the moment.

FG XR6T SILHOUETTE - 380rwkw
lucas2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2017, 02:22 PM   #6
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day all..The Chiron goes incredible too and is the standard that everything else is measured by. The Veyron was it for a fair old time. The Chiron is going to up the anty certainly and because a mob like Koenigsegg comes along , that will be more fun to watch.
I've just found the Agera and the Regera to be pretty interesting in that near 400 kmh top speed and insane acceleration is done with five litres V8 not an 8 litre V16 and twin turbo's not quad turbo.
Different transmission idea is interesting . Also is engine being built into the car as part of the structural integrity of the car.
Looks wise , apologies to Bugatti devotees but I think the later models are butt ugly , where as the Koenigseggs look far better but not quite as 'pretty' as Ferrari.
I have fairly recently had the pleasure of a close look at current model Ferrari 488's over a couple of days and they're stunners . However the aural symphony of the unreal V8 Agera etc.. overpowers me , even via You Tube that leaves a 488 somewhat disappointing.
I wonder what Christian Von Koenigsegg will end up screwing out of upcoming cars he builds. Looks like he's doing okay so far. Bugatti , watch your back closely .. Cheers Rod.
Old 22-07-2017, 07:35 PM   #7
lucas2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unfortunately the Ferrari 488 is way behind similar level cars. The McLaren 675LT is a fair bit quicker and the new 720s is even faster again. Ferrari is still banking on people paying for the prestige of the badge rather than the performance of the car itself.

Coming up soon we'll be seeing more of the 720s, the GT2RS, Huracan Performante, AMG GT R - then the "big boys" in the Aston Martin Valkyrie, AMG Project One and whatever McLaren comes up with over and above the P1.

The bar is shifting and Ferrari is being left behind at the moment. Koenigsegg and Bugatti will keep making limited run ball tearers but I think the next year or two in supercar/ hypercars is going to be unreal. I wonder what Ferrari will come up with next to keep up?

FG XR6T SILHOUETTE - 380rwkw
lucas2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2017, 09:52 AM   #8
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas2 View Post
Unfortunately the Ferrari 488 is way behind similar level cars. The McLaren 675LT is a fair bit quicker and the new 720s is even faster again. Ferrari is still banking on people paying for the prestige of the badge rather than the performance of the car itself.

Coming up soon we'll be seeing more of the 720s, the GT2RS, Huracan Performante, AMG GT R - then the "big boys" in the Aston Martin Valkyrie, AMG Project One and whatever McLaren comes up with over and above the P1.

The bar is shifting and Ferrari is being left behind at the moment. Koenigsegg and Bugatti will keep making limited run ball tearers but I think the next year or two in supercar/ hypercars is going to be unreal. I wonder what Ferrari will come up with next to keep up?
G'day again all ...I think you may well be right. After Targa Tasmania finished in early May this year there were several Ferrari 488's , a couple of 458's (I think) and this one that featured in a Motor Magazine edition https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l47_Qs9SZm0 . They all took part in the event and then stopped on to tour the state. For three nights they used our local B&B's while on the East Coast . I was lucky enough to get a close look a couple of times and talk to one of the owners about the 488 in particular. Very , very nice indeed. Not my cup of tea even if I could afford one but you appreciate the look , the heritage and appeal to many of these cars.
Re. Getting left behind in general . I think so too but perhaps Ferrari , Aston Martin , Jaguar etc don't really care that much because people will still buy their cars just for the prestige factor alone.
It will indeed be fun to see where the Pagani's , McLarens, Bugatti's, Koenigsegg's , and others stretch the boundaries . All that said the Nissan GTR's , Porsche's, AMG's , BMW M's and even the new Ford GT (never to come here) give a pretty good account of themselves for a whole lot less cash.
Ferrari still have a bit of a go though with the La Ferrari I suppose.
Cheers Rod.
Old 23-07-2017, 10:07 AM   #9
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day...Watch this. Very very interesting. AND listen to a Hypercar that actually sounds like a real V8. I love that engine noise. Bloody lovely.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QJlL0zNdMA and here's a bit on the One1 they build. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMLnmvLYTVw.
He's a clever bloke is Christian. Maybe he has a bit of Aussie in him..
Cheers Rod.

Last edited by roddy1960; 23-07-2017 at 10:29 AM.