Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 13-03-2006, 05:08 PM   #1
Jet-Star

Question EF manual Box

So theres been a bit of talk recently about converting E-series fords into manuals, I've been pondering the idea of putting a manual into my EF for quite some time and have decided to go through with it.

Problem is I don't have the faintest idea on what sort of manual trans I should be looking for. I don't need a full blown drag set up because I only intend on building a fast street legal cruiser.

I was thinking some thing along the lines of maybe just a reco'ed EF/EL XR8 trans but wondered what you guys would recommend? Is there a better aftermarket off the shelf product out there?

Cheers Fella's.

Last edited by Jet-Star; 13-03-2006 at 05:26 PM.
Jet-Star is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2006, 05:22 PM   #2
old_mate
Smash the Boost

are u six or V8?

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2006, 05:25 PM   #3
Jet-Star

Standard six at the moment...
Old 13-03-2006, 05:35 PM   #4
old_mate
Smash the Boost

u cant use a V8 box, input shafts are different. Any box from EA to EL will fit, EB onwards considered better cos of 6 bolt flywheel.

define fast? T5's are generally weak, STOKEB kills them with 170kwkw regularly. SLOWEA runs something like 300 odd rwkw thru them only occasionally and also kills them. Best value aftermarket box I know of is a Mal Wood T5 'z'spec box, its a cross breed of XR6 turbo/V8 box and should last a long time. Only one I know thus far that has died was fed 400odd rwkw for months. Your looking at about 2 and a half grand for one of these IIRC.

tremec conversions start at about 5 grand, up to about 9 grand for a bulletproof T56. Some have successfully used a Supra Turbo 5 speed but again these are expensive, say 2 grand plus bellhousing again if i remember correctly

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
Old 13-03-2006, 05:42 PM   #5
Jet-Star

Hmmm I'll probably look for a nice EB-EF box then, I've heard of a conversion kit you can buy with things like cables, pedles, brackets etc for converting these and other models of cars, anyone know who makes one?
Old 13-03-2006, 05:47 PM   #6
old_mate
Smash the Boost

u usually just buy a complete kit out of a wreck

there is a couple on ebay at the moment, and in the parts for sale here on the forums

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Old 13-03-2006, 07:04 PM   #7
Jet-Star

How would an XF 5 speed go in an EF? Such as this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/T5-5speed-Gea...QQcmdZViewItem

The old X-series had pretty beefy boxes did they not?
Old 13-03-2006, 07:49 PM   #8
STOKEB
NOS Induction pssssshhhhh

XF 5 speeds a single rail i think there weaker then the eseries t5 i wouldnt really use a XF 5 speed, try and get your hands on a xr6 box which are ment to be stronger but do cost abit to buy. Stay away from the ea boxes cause they do blow up alot quicker then the rest, Im pushing around the 220-240rwkw and they do hold the power untill you start changing really hard and trying to race change, heavy clutchs blow them up as well. a normal eseries t5 for you car should be fine if your not gonna run boost.
STOKEB - 3:7 diff gears, 3inch zorst, JMM Race Series Extractors, Custom Bottom end to suit N20, AU DEV 6 Head and Cam, Cold Air Intake, ED XR6 Manual Computer with Flash Tunner, ED XR6 Fuel reg, C10 Auto, 2800stall .
---------------------------------------------------
I LiVe My LiFe A bOtTlE aT a TiMe, FoR tHoSe 200 sQuIrTs I fEeL fReE.........pssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhh
STOKEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2006, 07:53 PM   #9
Jet-Star

Thats the thing though, I will most likely boost it with in 12 months or so, so I wan't some thing to handle a bit of torque, hence why I thought maybe an XR8 box...So you guys recon the standard EF/EL XR6 box will handle plenty of Nm?