Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 24-02-2017, 01:02 PM   #1
RACERED
Winding roads please

Default Coolent- focus ST

Hi all.. can anyone tell me if we can use any other coolent and if so which one in my 2013 focus ST.
Ford want $135 which is crazy.
I figure as long as its to matching specifications then all good.
Cheers for any help

HURRY UP WEEKEND DRIVE
RACERED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2017, 04:21 PM   #2
CatonaPC©

Default Re: Coolent- focus ST

Well, don't buy anything so cheap it's almost too good to be true. I'm sure if you buy from a reputable retailer (Repco, Autobahn), you should be able to get something of good quality. If you have to mix it yourself, then make sure you do so at the right ratios.

Consider, too, how often you have to change the radiator fluid in your circumstances. $135 might look like much, but the cost over a period of 3-4 years might be good insurance policy buying from Ford.
CatonaPC© is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2017, 06:06 PM   #3
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

In your warranty and service guide, what specification coolant does the ST require?

Does it match Nulon red specifications?
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2017, 06:14 PM   #4
RACERED
Winding roads please

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZFord View Post
In your warranty and service guide, what specification coolant does the ST require?

Does it match Nulon red specifications?
Yeah it does match... check it earlier so will go with nulan.... $60 versus $135..... no brainer

HURRY UP WEEKEND DRIVE
Old 24-02-2017, 09:06 PM   #5
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACERED View Post
Yeah it does match... check it earlier so will go with nulan.... $60 versus $135..... no brainer
Yes, a saving of $75 or 13 cents per day ($4 a month), assuming average 20,000km travel each year.

I know, up front, it looks a lot, but that is why I said you have to consider the overall cost over the lifetime of the coolant. (For example: A regular smoker would probably just need to give up one cigarette every 5-7 days and they'd pay for this.)

I'm not denying that Ford are charging more for coolant and I too would be looking elsewhere (e.g. wiper blades), but coolant is a bit more critical and I'd just lean towards the assurance with the stuff provided by Ford.

Actually, regarding wiper blades, I saved probably only a $50 or so and I'm neither happy with the wipers or fit of the third party replacement product. My next blades will be from Ford.
CatonaPC© is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2017, 09:32 PM   #6
RACERED
Winding roads please

Sticking to ford genuine parts is not a guaranteed best choice... just like tyres for your car... i changed from oem and got a call r tyre in many way. Ford want you to stick with them for max profit, hence why people are too worried about seevicing elsewhere etc.. dealers make their money from service and parts..

HURRY UP WEEKEND DRIVE