Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-11-2016, 08:08 PM   #61
pursuit57
mortgage free !

Default Re: Every Bad Driver Stereotype just hit me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisandsharon View Post
I wouldn't get in the car with any of you lot. I'm with Mooka.
None of you would ride a motorbike, that's bloody obvious because you're still alive behind your keyboard. Sabantien - lmao........not surprised at all you were hit. What you didn't notice the 'Volvo' to your left??? You're the one taking the pi** out of Volvo drivers, yet you turned in front of one in a situation like that - rrrrriiiiiight. Bet you won't turn in front of drivers (or cars) that you stereotype as bad again mate you're gold!! I reckon the Volvo forums have this same thread with the same pic and they're laughing harder - and you say you heard a joke once......I'm near on crying here

As for the 'massive white lines' comment.....dead giveaway lmao.
It's intersections like this that will sort the learners of the driving community out every time

Driving defensive and offensive is a balance, get it wrong and you'll get hit by the Volvo driver every time or flattened by a heavy rigid, insurance is useless to you then
You weren't the couple in that taxi joke posted earlier were you ??
Sorry, couldn't resist....no offence - thought I'd change the level of tension here.
Old 23-11-2016, 08:14 PM   #62
dunga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed View Post
In Sydney there would be a sign.
Left Lane Must Turn Left.
There doesn't have to be the road rules are that you must obey what the markings on the road say or that's what I learnt when getting a licence which involved being able to actually drive a car these days with cry babies and excuse makers I'm not so sure.
dunga is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2016, 09:08 PM   #63
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
I thought the Camry and Prius drivers overtook the Volvo driver in the stereotypical bad driver stakes.

Well they have in my books anyway.

I think it's just Toyota in general.
Corolla, Camry and Rav 4 are the main contenders though.

Quote:
That doesn't stop them.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2016, 09:47 PM   #64
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisandsharon View Post
I wouldn't get in the car with any of you lot. I'm with Mooka.
None of you would ride a motorbike, that's bloody obvious because you're still alive behind your keyboard. Sabantien - lmao........not surprised at all you were hit. What you didn't notice the 'Volvo' to your left??? You're the one taking the pi** out of Volvo drivers, yet you turned in front of one in a situation like that - rrrrriiiiiight. Bet you won't turn in front of drivers (or cars) that you stereotype as bad again mate you're gold!! I reckon the Volvo forums have this same thread with the same pic and they're laughing harder - and you say you heard a joke once......I'm near on crying here

As for the 'massive white lines' comment.....dead giveaway lmao.
It's intersections like this that will sort the learners of the driving community out every time

Driving defensive and offensive is a balance, get it wrong and you'll get hit by the Volvo driver every time or flattened by a heavy rigid, insurance is useless to you then
The Volvo was not to my left. The car to my left, turned left. The car behind me, turned left. The car behind the car to my left did not turn left.

It's not really turning in front of someone when they completely disobey the GIANT ARROWS on the road.

And if I had been in the left lane and someone in the outer lane had cut the corner and hit me, my fault again, right?
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2016, 10:05 PM   #65
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
There is one. Just after the camera on the left there.
Old 23-11-2016, 10:15 PM   #66
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Quote:
There is a sign that says exactly that, attached to the lamp post just before the stop line. See this image from google maps. https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-27....2!8i6656?hl=en . Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2016, 10:17 PM   #67
xr8cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunga View Post
I bet it was a plumber with p plates
Actually was a granny flat building co, but I have come across a crazy plumber or two! If I was making the sort of coin the plumbers I know do, I wouldn't be angry, that's for sure!
xr8cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2016, 10:43 PM   #68
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
Look at the image again, please.

Are you telling me that under NO circumstances should you turn left from the middle lane here?

So you're siding with the woman in the Volvo who made an illegal maneuver - Think about that. This is a clearly marked road where legally you can turn left. Why argue for the sake of arguing? Its legal to turn left from the middle lane and I would too.
Agree with you Mike, no arguments from me. Turn left from the middle lane but be aware that what happened to Sabantien isn't surprising if you are not paying attention to what the person in the left lane is doing. Mate the best way to put it is from a bikers point of view - I can tell you now that no biker (inc myself) would have put themselves in that situation. Turn left enough from that middle lane and the odds are you will eventually get hit - it's a no brainer, have a look at it. When I'm in a car I drive the same, defensive and offensive - I wouldn't have put myself in that situation. Each to their own, I wouldn't take the risk with the sort of muppets we have on our roads now. Is the same as pedestrian crossings, I'd never walk out without looking even if I was looking at the big green man and listening to the audible sound indicating to walk.

Edit - and if my F6 gets wiped out I can't get another one either. Gota look after the old girl.

Last edited by chrisandsharon; 23-11-2016 at 11:01 PM.
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-11-2016, 10:56 PM   #69
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pursuit57 View Post
You weren't the couple in that taxi joke posted earlier were you ??
Sorry, couldn't resist....no offence - thought I'd change the level of tension here.
None taken
Old 23-11-2016, 11:03 PM   #70
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabantien View Post
The Volvo was not to my left. The car to my left, turned left. The car behind me, turned left. The car behind the car to my left did not turn left.

It's not really turning in front of someone when they completely disobey the GIANT ARROWS on the road.

And if I had been in the left lane and someone in the outer lane had cut the corner and hit me, my fault again, right?
I know what ya sayin mate and agree. End of the day though it's not surprising what happened to you. It's probably caught a shyteload of drivers out that intersection
Old 23-11-2016, 11:30 PM   #71
jakkes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if there was a few cars on the road covering those arrows i can see how someone not failure with that road could try and go straight but not when the cars in front have turned in front of her!!!.... lol

there should be overhead sing as well

there is heaps of traffic islands/intersections in vic that just make me shake my head and its not just in the city either is migrated to my home town now 4hrs out of melbourne

#$%$in infuriates me make's you think the more qualifications and ticket's you have as a road engineer the less common sense you will have

----------------------------------------------------------------
BA falcon XT mkII, 5.4lt, 5sp,
Y-code, xy windowless pano, 3 on the tree manual.
re-shelled xy falcon GT, manual.
1980 honda CX500 scrambler/dirt tracker

Last edited by jakkes; 23-11-2016 at 11:41 PM.
jakkes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2016, 11:41 PM   #72
Mooka

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
So people should never turn left from that middle lane on that road (or any road with multiple turn lanes) just incase some idiot goes straight from the wrong lane? Sure, prepare that anyone could do anything on the road at any time, but to avoid using certain lanes to "anticipate the idiot" is... well... idiocy.

Which roads do you frequent, just so I can anticipate YOU.
Anticipate the idiot driver ...f.ucking simple. This isn't about you being right by law.
Kinda useless anticipating me on the road. I'd be the car turning left from the left lane.
Mooka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2016, 11:42 PM   #73
jakkes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

on another note that intersection has a red light camera or speed camera she was probably caught on film lol

----------------------------------------------------------------
BA falcon XT mkII, 5.4lt, 5sp,
Y-code, xy windowless pano, 3 on the tree manual.
re-shelled xy falcon GT, manual.
1980 honda CX500 scrambler/dirt tracker
jakkes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2016, 11:45 PM   #74
Mooka

Quote:
Originally Posted by pursuit57 View Post
How many dual turning lanes like this do you think are in place throughout the country....so each are badly designed huh ?

Dunno, do you ? But I'm making a call on this one being a bad design, probably had many of the same accidents there.
Mooka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2016, 12:03 AM   #75
pursuit57
mortgage free !

Quote : Dunno, do you ? But I'm making a call on this one being a bad design, probably had many of the same accidents there.

Had my say about it, & you've had yours....several times.
Just going round and round - like a roundabout, speaking of suppose you have a beef about those too.
Anyway, giving me a headache so thread closed for me.
Old 24-11-2016, 12:20 AM   #76
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Wouldn't matter, the "shouldn't hold a license" rat head that collided with the OP wouldn't be able to read it.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2016, 08:18 AM   #77
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks guys now I see the sign.

Sabantion, did she say she was going straight through & where were you hit?
Didn't give her a squeeze did you?
Fed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2016, 09:24 AM   #78
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

Im going to say that even a LEFT LANE MUST TURN LEFT isnt good enough. I can see 3 lanes going into the distance. Drivers could mistakenly drive straight from the left lane. Drivers in the middle lane should not be allowed to go left - madness.

Risky road design.

Would we ever allow such a system on a highway at 110kmh? No way.
turbodewd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2016, 12:06 PM   #79
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well it is obviously a fairly busy road on the left to have 2 left turn lanes.If idiot in left lane read signs this discussion wouldn't be happening!!
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2016, 01:39 PM   #80
stig_3754

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Well it is obviously a fairly busy road on the left to have 2 left turn lanes.If idiot in left lane read signs this discussion wouldn't be happening!!
Instead we just focus on what the OP should've done to avoid the situation.
stig_3754 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2016, 02:43 PM   #81
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrot3 View Post
There is a sign that says exactly that, attached to the lamp post just before the stop line. See this image from google maps. https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-27....2!8i6656?hl=en . Cheers MD
Thanks for posting the link. I agree with the OP - there are no less than 5 arrows on the road, for at least 100m before the intersection.

But even more telling:

If you turn around & look back up the road, it is a single lane coming off the M3, and a small suburban street merges into it.

This then splits out massively into 3 lanes. The cross street at the intersection is one-way, to the left, so the ONLY way you can go at the intersection when turning is to turn is left, or you can go straight.

Now if you go straight, there's only 1 more intersection ahead, where you can either go right (one way street) or straight - and head onto the M3 again.

The majority of traffic leaving a freeway will need to go either left or right, and unlike the common T-intersection at the end of an exit, this one is split, as a pair of one-way roads are used to improve traffic flow.

Looking at the way the roads are designed, and the traffic flow, the MAJORITY of the cars coming off the M3 at this first intersection will be turning left, and those that don't will be turning right at the very next intersection.

A very small number would be going straight at both - only if you took the wrong exit would you need to continue straight back on, but the road allows for that.

So this begs the question - she can only go straight or right at the next intersection, so why did she need to spear across 3 lanes to the far left, at an intersection that is clearly marked, and has a major traffic flow in that one direction that the OP was heading?

I'm tipping she was trying to go up the left and cut in to win a few spots in the traffic light grand prix.

Some of the comments in this thread really need to look at the situation instead of blaming the OP for "taking no evasive action" or the like. The person that crashed into him is clearly in the wrong, and not only that, was obviously ignoring a whole 2 lines of cars with left blinkers flashing as well.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-11-2016, 04:59 PM   #82
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
Thanks for posting the link. I agree with the OP - there are no less than 5 arrows on the road, for at least 100m before the intersection.

But even more telling:

If you turn around & look back up the road, it is a single lane coming off the M3, and a small suburban street merges into it.

This then splits out massively into 3 lanes. The cross street at the intersection is one-way, to the left, so the ONLY way you can go at the intersection when turning is to turn is left, or you can go straight.

Now if you go straight, there's only 1 more intersection ahead, where you can either go right (one way street) or straight - and head onto the M3 again.

The majority of traffic leaving a freeway will need to go either left or right, and unlike the common T-intersection at the end of an exit, this one is split, as a pair of one-way roads are used to improve traffic flow.

Looking at the way the roads are designed, and the traffic flow, the MAJORITY of the cars coming off the M3 at this first intersection will be turning left, and those that don't will be turning right at the very next intersection.

A very small number would be going straight at both - only if you took the wrong exit would you need to continue straight back on, but the road allows for that.

So this begs the question - she can only go straight or right at the next intersection, so why did she need to spear across 3 lanes to the far left, at an intersection that is clearly marked, and has a major traffic flow in that one direction that the OP was heading?

I'm tipping she was trying to go up the left and cut in to win a few spots in the traffic light grand prix.

Some of the comments in this thread really need to look at the situation instead of blaming the OP for "taking no evasive action" or the like. The person that crashed into him is clearly in the wrong, and not only that, was obviously ignoring a whole 2 lines of cars with left blinkers flashing as well.
No one is blaming the OP for taking no evasive action.
That intersection is the 'curveball' of intersections - bloody simple. Some will simply not get it......don't look too deep into it.
Some people should be on the road, some people shouldn't. Some people can read the road, some people can't. Some people will never get caught like Sebantien did, and some people will. It's called the human factor. How long have bloody roundabouts been around for? Some drivers still have absolutely no idea how to enter/exit a roundabout, what hope have they got of negotiating that intersection if they're not used to the set up.

She might have been racing to the doctors, she might have been on her phone, may have been upset, might have been flustered, may have been busting to go to the toilet -or- she may have just thought the middle lane went straight. The variables are endless. As for relying on the BIG ARROWS to guide the uneducated, good luck with that.
Old 24-11-2016, 05:48 PM   #83
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A lot of people here are making excuses for the idiot that ran into the OP. There is no excuse full stop. I have used that exact left turn lane the OP was using many times and all the signage is clear to any driver paying attention to what they are doing. She was either not paying attention or rat running the lane or just has no idea of the rules. I suspect the last.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2016, 01:04 PM   #84
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thanks guys now I see the sign.

Sabantion, did she say she was going straight through & where were you hit?
Didn't give her a squeeze did you?
She did. She was adamant she could go straight in the left lane.
Not giving her a squeeze, I was very deliberately not crossing into her lane. I hate people cutting lanes (it's why I was in the outside lane, because far too often I nearly get hit by people cutting into the inside lane) so make sure I don't do it myself.
Old 25-11-2016, 01:20 PM   #85
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So anyhow, I just thought it was amusing that I got hit by someone who ticked nearly every bad driver stereotype.

Do I believe the stereotypes? No, because I've seen bad drivers in every type of car, of every gender, race and age.

Could the road be better? Sure. I think some sort of obvious barrier across that left lane would be a good indicator that you can't continue straight. But honestly, someone who misses the signs and the giant bloody arrows is probably going to miss that too, especially with another car ahead of them. What more can be done? Giant flashing lights? Because that doesn't work either. Hell, they had to install holograms at some tunnels in Sydney to stop truck drivers who completely ignored all the flashing lights and STOP signs as they drive into a tunnel too big for them.

It's a bit of a mess created when the highway was put through, but as someone pointed out, most traffic goes to the left as it meets up with one of the major roads in Brisbane.

Multiple lanes turning together always cause a bit of a ****fight, mostly because people don't stick to their lane. Whether it's an actual corner or just a bend in the road, you can bet someone is going to cut into your lane. But yes, I'm sure if that happened it would have been my fault too.
Old 26-11-2016, 12:16 AM   #86
dutchie393

If i was on my motorbike in that middle lane wanting to turn left.. and there's car to the left of me... i tend to assume the worst and prolly just keep riding straight till the next corner.
dutchie393 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post