Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 10-02-2005, 10:06 AM   #31
niko
likes falcon's

dont like the colour coding, doesnt do it for me sozz :P

wen u changing snorkel???
Old 10-02-2005, 10:07 AM   #32
niko
likes falcon's

makes it look like lego?
Old 10-02-2005, 10:11 AM   #33
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

The colour and painting anything in the engine bay does nothing for me, but horses for courses.

Anyway, as someone else mentioned, ditch the current snorkel and fit a XH snorkel.

You also need to block off the holes in the air box lid as this will hurt power as it is allowing hot engine bay heat into the air box.

The snorkel is there to allow cooler outside air into the air box, so the holes are defeating this purpose.

Rick.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:20 AM   #34
chelvdog
Soul baby

Im not a fan of the airbox being painted, but each to their own. The blue certainly makes thoses holes in the airbox stand out, that sucking sound would drive me crazy after not too long.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:53 AM   #35
Yagz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
The colour and painting anything in the engine bay does nothing for me, but horses for courses.

Anyway, as someone else mentioned, ditch the current snorkel and fit a XH snorkel.

You also need to block off the holes in the air box lid as this will hurt power as it is allowing hot engine bay heat into the air box.

The snorkel is there to allow cooler outside air into the air box, so the holes are defeating this purpose.

Rick.
Thats a good point about the holes.. Why are there holes in his airbox?!
Yagz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2005, 11:04 AM   #36
chelvdog
Soul baby

I don't know why santo's are there, but I remember reading a story of how Brocky would cut holes into the air cleaner of his LJ torana' for extra power. Dunno it it worked, but that's an old school carb'd engine. Common sense would say that holes in an airbox would allow hot air and a lot of debris into the box, resultis in a loss of power from the heat and a blocked filter, imo.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:09 AM   #37
niko
likes falcon's

ye u would only tell if it made a diff on a dyno. i saw a guy totaly rip the box lid off and just cable tie down the filter.... (no restrictions there) lol who cares if it aint getting cooler air hammering should feed enough air in there anyway
Old 10-02-2005, 11:14 AM   #38
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelvdog
I don't know why santo's are there, but I remember reading a story of how Brocky would cut holes into the air cleaner of his LJ torana' for extra power. Dunno it it worked, but that's an old school carb'd engine. Common sense would say that holes in an airbox would allow hot air and a lot of debris into the box, resultis in a loss of power from the heat and a blocked filter, imo.
That's because LJ Toranas didn't have air ducted from the outside, rather a system which just received air from the engine bay. Holes were cut in the base so as to increase air flow.
Either way hot air was entering the carby.

Almost all late model cars have some kind of CAI system, and cutting holes in these boxes will genrally hurt power.

Rick.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:15 AM   #39
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
ye u would only tell if it made a diff on a dyno. i saw a guy totaly rip the box lid off and just cable tie down the filter.... (no restrictions there) lol who cares if it aint getting cooler air hammering should feed enough air in there anyway
Cool air is far more important than the volume if air.
Why do you think turbos use intercoolers, because hot air is very bad for performance.

Rick.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:58 AM   #40
chelvdog
Soul baby

An XH snorkle would allow in more air than those holes anyway.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:20 PM   #41
santoitaliano
BF F6, APV SR3900

where you pick up an XH snorkel from?

does it really make a difference?

the holes werent my idea.., but im inclined to leave them because of the work i put into painting it. The previous owner did it...

whilst driving, would that section of the engine bay be hot? wouldn't the air coming in through the bonnet be cool air?

i really don't know.

If i come to a dyno day later on in the year, for curiosity's sake, i might do the first run with it and the 2nd run with one without the holes and see if it makes any difference.

cheers,

santo

White APV SR3900 [WIZZRD] (Click Here) [/COLOR]

Daily:
2006 Red BF F6 Typhoon
Bluepower enhanced.
santoitaliano is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2005, 01:19 PM   #42
oneredED
need more boost

Rocker cover looks the goods! As a few people said, if you sanded back the ribs and the few other logos and things it'd look heaps better, but if you can't be fuct then don't worry about it, it looks good anyways.

I'm not a fan of the airbox being done. Looks a little tacky IMO, but if you like it then well done
oneredED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2005, 01:54 PM   #43
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by santoitaliano
where you pick up an XH snorkel from?
Ford.
Quote:
does it really make a difference?
Probably bugger all on a standard engine, but every little bit helps.
Quote:
the holes werent my idea.., but im inclined to leave them because of the work i put into painting it. The previous owner did it...
It's a bad idea though.
Quote:
whilst driving, would that section of the engine bay be hot? wouldn't the air coming in through the bonnet be cool air?
That area will be cooler than right next to the engine or exhaust manifold, though it is still warmer than outside air.
Quote:
i really don't know.
Think about how much better your car goes on a cool winter evening compared to a hot summers day.
Quote:
If i come to a dyno day later on in the year, for curiosity's sake, i might do the first run with it and the 2nd run with one without the holes and see if it makes any difference.
It's difficult to pick slight differences on a dyno, particularly to do with air box related stuff. When a car is sitting on a dyno you get 'heat soak' between runs. You also don't get anywhere the amount of wind generated with a dyno fan as you do travelling at speed.

Rick.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:31 PM   #44
NZ
~~~

wheres your XH gone rick

"the man that crashs AFF"
NZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2005, 02:46 PM   #45
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB MkII
wheres your XH gone rick
My brother now owns it, and I took over his XG.
My wife and I just bought a new BA ute, and don't need 2 good cars, plus I have big plans for the XG.......

Rick.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:44 PM   #46
needturbo6
ooga-lagga-ligga-lagga

well yeh i voted for no to paint but it looks better than i thought it would.

as said ditvh the crappy lookin and flowing ea snorkel and get an XH snorkel from ford
needturbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post