Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 04-04-2016, 06:57 PM   #1
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2010 TDCI Powershift problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchu View Post

Documentation states that a new "mechatronic unit" was fitted. Is this same as TCM?
TCM is inside the mechatronic unit. It can be replaced separately and vice versa.
rondeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2016, 07:27 AM   #2
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
TCM is inside the mechatronic unit. It can be replaced separately and vice versa.
The TCM is definitely integral with the mechatronic unit, but the statement that it is separately replaceable was just an assumption based on looking at some screws in the manual. In the real world I don't know. Reading too many books I'm afraid.
Old 05-04-2016, 10:42 AM   #3
manchu

Quote:
The TCM is definitely integral with the mechatronic unit, but the statement that it is separately replaceable was just an assumption based on looking at some screws in the manual. In the real world I don't know. Reading too many books I'm afraid.
Whats confusing me is that 6DCT450 workshop manual makes no reference to the "mechatronic unit" at all (at least not in the part I have). All the remedial Actions for noted DCTs are either install a new transmission or install a new TCM.

Last edited by manchu; 05-04-2016 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Spelling
manchu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2016, 02:42 PM   #4
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Whats confusing me is that 6DCT450 workshop manual makes no reference to the "mechatronic unit" at all (at least not in the part I have). All the remedial Actions for noted DCTs are either install a new transmission or install a new TCM.
Me too. But,

Lurking under the black housing you can see on the front of the gearbox there is a three part system properly called the mechatronic unit. It comprises:

1) An electronic module with speed, temperature, pressure and position sensors hard wired. I call this the TCM.

2) A solenoid body containing 9 solenoids and some valves;

3) A valve body assembly.

When the TCM is removed the solenoids and valve body must come out with it.

I don't know if these sub assemblies are replaceable separately, and whether the term TCM is sometimes used to mean mechatronic unit.

Next time I visit my friendly spare parts man at Ford I'll ask how much a solenoid body costs ;-)

Last edited by rondeo; 05-04-2016 at 02:48 PM. Reason: correction
Old 05-04-2016, 03:51 PM   #5
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Quote:
Me too. But,

Lurking under the black housing you can see on the front of the gearbox there is a three part system properly called the mechatronic unit. It comprises:

1) An electronic module with speed, temperature, pressure and position sensors hard wired. I call this the TCM.

2) A solenoid body containing 9 solenoids and some valves;

3) A valve body assembly.

When the TCM is removed the solenoids and valve body must come out with it.

I don't know if these sub assemblies are replaceable separately, and whether the term TCM is sometimes used to mean mechatronic unit.

Next time I visit my friendly spare parts man at Ford I'll ask how much a solenoid body costs ;-)
Work Shop Manual calls it a Transmission Control Module (TCM) and Main Control Valve Body, but the parts catalogue call it a mechatronic unit. No serviceable parts and is the valve body and TCM in one. See pic attached below.
They are about $2300 to buy complete unit.

Mondeo Trans.pdf
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-04-2016, 03:39 PM   #6
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Quote:
The workshop manual refers to the mechatronic as "Transmission Control Module (TCM) and Main Control Valve Body" It is in the manual section 307-01B for removal and replacement and is in other sections too..
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post