Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-12-2015, 02:09 PM   #1
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Another End of an Era: Last of the small RWD BMW's

Very well written article by Curt Dupriez describing the current 125i as both the end of an era of enthusiasts' small RWD BMWs, and a fine drive to boot:

http://www.caradvice.com.au/369189/2...w-125i-review/

It's becoming apparent we're not just losing Falcon/Territory/Commodore, there are other RWD/AWD platforms going the way of the dodo until resurrected in electric form.
Old 21-12-2015, 03:43 PM   #2
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Default Re: Another End of an Era: Last of the small RWD BMW's

Buy a 2 series coupe and be done with it.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2015, 04:21 PM   #3
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

1 Series? its not like its been around for that long
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2015, 04:34 PM   #4
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

I think the makers are all reserving rwd for the uber expensive upmarket only, time will tell hey...

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2015, 04:39 PM   #5
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Alfa is moving to a RWD platform right?
Old 21-12-2015, 05:08 PM   #6
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

The Alfa Giulia will be similar to the BMW 3-series, which is 100kg+ heavier than the 1-series. Which itself is a lot heavier than the old model 1-series. The 1 & 2-series seem to be a bit of a sweet spot as a compact, relatively light car.

I'm not sure what they will do with the 2-series (the coupe 2-series not the fwd hatchback 2-series; how broken is BMW's naming system???) if they drop the 1-series it is based off, or shares the platform of.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2015, 07:30 PM   #7
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

BMW seem to be in the wilderness at the moment. It seems that most of what made the brand unique has been eroded to the point that the most "BMW" thing about the brand is the badge on the bonnet.

BMW was know to be a brand that delivered fine handling cars, mostly sedans and coupes. Crisp steering, firm but controlled suspension, subtly aggressive styling, responsive revvy engines were all trademarks of a BMW. The "Ultimate Driving Machine".

And while all companies must adapt to suit the market, there is no way a front wheel drive family hatch with a 3 cylinder engine (2 Series Active Tourer) or a hulking diesel SUV (X5/X6) can be labelled an Ultimate Driving Machine. Core models like the 3 series and the manic high revving M cars are shadows of their once great selves.

In the quest to expand the brand and appeal to the masses they have diluted the brands once core attributes to the point that people choose a BMW for the badge rather than what made the brand famous.

Its kinda weird that one of their cheapest models, the 2 Series Coupe, is actually their best model.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 21-12-2015, 07:33 PM   #8
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute View Post
how broken is BMW's naming system???
Can't be as bad as Mercedes new system.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-12-2015, 10:41 PM   #9
Bossxr8
Peter Car

And it seems every road test I read on BMW and they get panned for horribly inconsistent steering and harsh ride, mostly from run flat tyres. And they only come good once you option up the full dynamic drive packages with adaptive shocks etc. No coincidence those packs are pretty expensive too.

The "ultimate driving machine" mantra is just horse poo now. The M models are the exception, but they don't have run flats.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-12-2015, 12:23 AM   #10
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
And it seems every road test I read on BMW and they get panned for horribly inconsistent steering and harsh ride, mostly from run flat tyres. And they only come good once you option up the full dynamic drive packages with adaptive shocks etc. No coincidence those packs are pretty expensive too.

The "ultimate driving machine" mantra is just horse poo now. The M models are the exception, but they don't have run flats.
There is usually a big discrepancy between press reviews and reality you experience when you get in the car - as Ford fans know well.

And run flats (at least the ones BMW uses) are little different from conventional tyres.
Old 22-12-2015, 03:24 AM   #11
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post

I can’t talk for all BMW models only the ones I’ve driven and in particular mine and I find the suspension setup is just as important as the choice between run flats or not and that goes for the SUV’s as well.

My 135i has had run flats since the day I brought it home (always Bridgestone Potenza RE050A RFT) and I find the ride is harsh over rough roads compared to a VE Commodore SS on stock tyres and also noisy but being someone whose daily cars mainly run on 20 inch rims with low profile rubber I’m used to both those properties.

What I do notice is the 135i laughs at my Commodore even though it’s lowered on 20 inch (255 & 285) Pirelli P Zeros when it comes to turning in on a tight bend.

The smooth turn in and follow on of the 135i even on run flats is chalk and cheese to most of the other cars I have and it takes coilovers and very soft tyres to match it.

I’ve been told by the dealership if I swap them out it will have a softer quieter ride but the handling improvement will only be slight and hard to notice and as I’ve recently driven my brother-in-law’s new M4 I’d have to agree.

His car certainly has more muscle but it didn’t feel any better in the bends.

Not that I’ll ever get to experience the change as my wife won’t allow it.

She wants the peace of mind the run flats give her as she knows she can drive it home and have me arrange for the tyre to be repaired or as I’ve found in the past once you drive on them flat repair is not usually an option, replacement is needed.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2015, 10:24 AM   #12
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I drove a 118i a couple of weeks ago, pretty disappointing
no room and no power
4vxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2015, 10:41 AM   #13
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4vxc View Post
I drove a 118i a couple of weeks ago, pretty disappointing
no room and no power
What were you expecting, the 118 is the base model, 100kw.
No different to a Focus, Mazda 3, Corolla, Golf, etc. Power comes in up further in the range.

The 1 series is hatch back with RWD, it isn't going to fit 3 baby seats, tow a caravan and rip record 0-100 runs at the same time just like a Falcon.
Old 22-12-2015, 10:50 AM   #14
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I expected it would be a match for the Mazda 3
Old 22-12-2015, 12:54 PM   #15
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4vxc View Post
I expected it would be a match for the Mazda 3
In what area?

According to the specs they are only mm different in some areas.
http://forms.bmw.com.au/media/BMW/br...AT_215_AUS.pdf
http://www.mazda.com.au/assets/cars/...l-brochure.pdf

The 118i in the BMW is a 3cylinder turbo 100kw and Mazda is 2.0 NA 114kw.
On paper not too much in it.
Old 22-12-2015, 03:10 PM   #16
Ruination

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
BMW seem to be in the wilderness at the moment. It seems that most of what made the brand unique has been eroded to the point that the most "BMW" thing about the brand is the badge on the bonnet.

BMW was know to be a brand that delivered fine handling cars, mostly sedans and coupes. Crisp steering, firm but controlled suspension, subtly aggressive styling, responsive revvy engines were all trademarks of a BMW. The "Ultimate Driving Machine".

And while all companies must adapt to suit the market, there is no way a front wheel drive family hatch with a 3 cylinder engine (2 Series Active Tourer) or a hulking diesel SUV (X5/X6) can be labelled an Ultimate Driving Machine. Core models like the 3 series and the manic high revving M cars are shadows of their once great selves.

In the quest to expand the brand and appeal to the masses they have diluted the brands once core attributes to the point that people choose a BMW for the badge rather than what made the brand famous.

Its kinda weird that one of their cheapest models, the 2 Series Coupe, is actually their best model.

"Business"
Overrules everything unfortunately.
Old 22-12-2015, 06:28 PM   #17
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
In what area?

According to the specs they are only mm different in some areas.
http://forms.bmw.com.au/media/BMW/br...AT_215_AUS.pdf
http://www.mazda.com.au/assets/cars/...l-brochure.pdf

The 118i in the BMW is a 3cylinder turbo 100kw and Mazda is 2.0 NA 114kw.
On paper not too much in it.
overall feel of perceived quality was not a match for Mazda, it was very small inside regardless of what the specs say they really feel small.
I have had a few 6cyl 3 series BMW's they were great cars but in the 1 series I cant see the point of rwd.
I didn't rev it out as it was a customer's car but I get to drive a lot of different makes and models all the time and it never takes long to get a quick impression of a car when you drive them all on the same roads
Old 23-12-2015, 05:26 PM   #18
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder if the 2 series coupe will continue as a driver's RWD while the hatch/sedan go FWD?

I quite like the hatch myself Express, but I understand many going for the coupe (2 door hatch my favourite).

If we go back to the original LC-LJ Torana of the early 1970s, or the original 3 series and its continuation throughout the 1980s, we again see that "drivers' small RWD, big engine" combination - that's the bit that might be "end of an era". Is there anything else out there internationally with this kind of setup?

Joy of joys, a lot of the electric news from Tesla or Audi is cars that are RWD with smaller front motors giving AWD capability.
Old 23-12-2015, 06:25 PM   #19
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO View Post
Can't be as bad as Mercedes new system.
I'd disagree, at least the the M-B one doesn't have the same name on two different vehicles. The new system matches their SUV to their equivalent sedan/hatch, at the expense of throwing away the equity in names like the ML that had been around for 20 years or so.

Runflats seem to have improved a lot since their introduction, likewise it seems that since models were renewed and intended to have runflats from the start things work better. I'm not sure they are really better than a spare tyre, and I wonder how much weight is saved when the tyres are heavier.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2015, 06:59 PM   #20
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The good run flats nowadays don't have any impact on ride quality. Ours has Pirellis. I've experienced the practical side - a screw through a tyre at only 5000 k

It was on a two lane busy highway. If it was a normal tyre my wife would simply call the road service, there's no way she could change it. I'm getting arthritic and losing my taste for jobs like changing wheels, so it was great to be able to drive back home. I was amazed how little effect it had on the car's handling at 80 km/h.

The problem in Australia is that outside the capital cities the average tyre shop isn't going to carry your specific run flat and there'll be a two day wait for delivery. So what I do is keep a tyre in the garage and pick it up and run down to the tyre place with it and then order another one for the garage while they fit the one I've brought. Any tyre place can fit the tyre. The tyres are a bit darn expensive but I guess that's the price of that extra convenience.

If it's a remote area trip I'd put the tyre in the boot (but lose some luggage space obviously). If the manufacturers used their brains about their export (non European) market they'd create a well to store a tyre under the boot. It wouldn't be that hard and there wouldn't really be a weight argument (if there is anyway).
Old 23-12-2015, 09:31 PM   #21
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Swapped out the suspension on my E46 manual coupe and it was quite a drive. They are still in demand if in good condition
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-12-2015, 09:40 PM   #22
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

The '05 130i Msport I drove in Europe recently wasn't a bad piece of kit. The owner took it out for a few laps on a track in Finland, and it handled itself quite well, though he wasn't taking it easy. It did rip the front tyres to shreds in ~12 laps though.

It was more than comfortable for our 6-700km per day, 10 day road trip, and we had quite a bit of luggage, but I'm not going to rush out and buy one. I'm just not the hatchback kind of girl.
I don't mind the look of the coupe though.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2015, 11:43 AM   #23
Angeldust

I've decided to keep my e46 coupe.. Parents bought it new in 2002, even though its still 'mums' I mostly drive it as a 2nd car. Its done 231,000k's now and its holding up well, should easily get another 10 years out of it. Over time it has grown on me, and I respect its handling and quality compared to my VZ.

Z series Clubsport HRT edition..
e46 320ci 2.2ltr Stocko
Angeldust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2015, 01:01 PM   #24
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I came across this. Priceless!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTMAFD_hpRw