Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 28-05-2014, 10:20 PM   #1
FocusJames
Starter Motor

Question LS Focus Stereo Upgrade

Hi all,

I have a 2006 LS hatch, and I am thinking about doing a stereo upgrade. There is a lot of good info around on this forum and other ford forums but I am yet to find any pictures from someone who has upgraded the rear door speakers. I am thinking about putting 6 1/2" in both front and rear - have already ordered fascia and speaker pods. I am interested what everyone thinks the most worthwhile upgrade is apart from headunit/speakers. Re wire? Sound deadening? I am thinking of at least putting a bit of deadening behind the new speakers. Any help is much appreciated

FocusJames is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2014, 10:47 PM   #2
furiousgibbon

Default Re: LS Focus Stereo Upgrade

I wouldn't bother with the rear speakers. I had an LS XR5, did the front speakers (Clarion 6.5" splits) head unit (Pioneer F310BT), 2 channel amp for the fronts and a bridged 2 channel amp driving an 11" Focal sub. I couldn't even hear the rear speakers after that.

I used Dynamat but I couldn't figure out how to remove the inner door skin, and there wasn't enough room to get behind it. So I laid Dynamat over the inner door but not the outer door skin where it's most effective. I know that panel comes off though as I've seen pictures.

You can fit pretty big mid range speakers in the front, the originals in the XR5 were basically 7". I made the pods myself though, off the shelf stuff might be more restrictive.

Once you've done HU and fronts, make the next spend on an amp and sub. Doesn't need to be huge as the open hatch lets a lot of bass in, but find a good match for your front speakers and it will sound awesome.
furiousgibbon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-05-2014, 12:16 AM   #3
FocusJames
Starter Motor

Thanks for the advice Gibbon,

I am going to the States soon and I am planning to bring a good haul of audio equipment back. I have decided to for a single DIN stereo with Bluetooth as it helps fix my two main gripes with the CL model's interior - no BT and little storage space (extra pocket in single din converter). I was also thinking of installing one of those under seat subs to save space - I often carry many things in my focus. I think I will still get rear speakers, just because I wouldn't want to blow the existing ones and quality speakers are very well priced in the US
FocusJames is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-11-2014, 06:30 PM   #4
maddingo
Starter Motor

Hi all,
I want to put a Hi Level stereo unit from an 09/2008 to replace the low level stereo in my 04/2008 TDCi.

There are more plugs in the latter one than my low level stereo.

Is there a loom to convert the plugs?

bill
maddingo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2014, 02:07 AM   #5
Smokin Whale
Smoke tires, not guns

I kept the stock unit and speakers and just mounted an Android Phablet from the CD Drive slot with Aux-in. Then used a line-level to RCA converted to feed RCA into an amp to power a Kicket 12" sub. Sounds quite good I must say and works great.
Smokin Whale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2015, 08:18 PM   #6
Labrat
Starter Motor

I would not bring back any radio designed for the American market because the radio's channel spacing on AM would be 10kHz and not 9kHz. Also there is a slight difference with the pre-empesis? on FM.

Wayne
Labrat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post