Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-06-2015, 01:41 AM   #91
Barni
Starter Motor

Default Re: Classic/collectable/sought after cars to put away now.

[QUOTE=Express;5422704]I’ve been around cars all my life and I do believe it’s easy to over estimate how many people are truly interested in owning a classic which is very different to admiring them.
But more importantly the number of people prepared to pay big money is much, much less.

Damn it...you sound like my mate joe...and I agree with you. Is your name joe?

Most car enthusiasts are not collectors as such, they are into cars and tend to pay modest prices and in many cases less than a new car to have a weekender in their garages.

What about buying at the time prices have levelled off, then selling for slightly more when they rise, doesn't have to rise more than what the car was worth. Just enough to be a descent return.

Some are lucky to have had a car around for years that turns into a red hot desirable and some find a piece of junk and bring it back to life.
How many of the classics from the Ford, Holden and Chrysler stables are worth more than a new performance car?
Not many and I think a lot of people lose sight of that fact and get blinded by the prices of a few like the Phase 3, Cobra, E49, 350 GTS, XU1 & A9X.
Really the market here is too small, just an honest observation.

Again I agree with the market being small. But why are cars demanding more for certain cars already, such as all early 911's. Why can't the same process formula be applied.

Another thing is in 30 years most people searching for a real classic won’t care that much if it has 10km or 100,000km on the clock so why not get out and drive them.

Again agreed if it's a real classic. If it's a sought after car they will care.

To take what XR6 Martin said a little further, collect and stockpile unique parts for performance models.
A panel beater friend of mine did that back in the ‘70s and ‘80s and made a killing out of it until his stocks ran dry.

Yes great idea.

Express if you are a politician, I'd vote for you.
Barni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2015, 01:54 AM   #92
blackwasp

buy an investment unit mate!
i bought one june last year for $460k , got offered $600k last week. if you bought a car now for say 60k and in 20 years its worth 150k. big deal!
if you make the right decisions in property , you will be able to afford any car you like!
blackwasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2015, 07:31 AM   #93
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
buy an investment unit mate!
i bought one june last year for $460k , got offered $600k last week.!
While I dont blame people for jumping on that bandwagon I simply cannot wait for the bum end of real estate to fall in a heap and come inline with the rest of the economy.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2015, 08:49 AM   #94
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
While I dont blame people for jumping on that bandwagon I simply cannot wait for the bum end of real estate to fall in a heap and come inline with the rest of the economy.
And it's going to happen sooner or later.............
http://www.news.com.au/finance/real-...-1227410053643
I thought my 69 Mustang Fastback would bring big bucks but it was a bit of a fizzer. My 76 XC Coupe on the other hand.....
Old 24-06-2015, 08:51 AM   #95
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Yeah Aussie car prices are insane, you can get the US equivalent with the same or most times better engine combo's for much less...
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 24-06-2015, 08:59 AM   #96
Rob 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Happening in plenty of places right now Polyal, especially the mining towns. The Hunter Valley is really hurting because of the down turn in the mining industry with plenty of homes a good 10-20 % lower then they were just 2 years ago.
Old 24-06-2015, 09:03 AM   #97
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob 351 View Post
Happening in plenty of places right now Polyal, especially the mining towns. The Hunter Valley is really hurting because of the down turn in the mining industry with plenty of homes a good 10-20 % lower then they were just 2 years ago.
Tell me about it..I just moved to Bowen for work and real estates are open to negotiation on rentals!

I dont want mass pain for the country but the inflated house prices as stuffed everything up, people think their wealthy when they really are not and for normal people with average jobs (both parents working) its a struggle to get into the market at times.

BTW watch car prices fall like a rock when peoples equity goes up in smoke too.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
2 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2015, 09:58 AM   #98
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
Sorry, there will be no future classics. GTHO and first gen Monaros were classics in their own time. Thirty years on from the EA (nearly) and there are no new classics on the horizon...
this is true.

The new cars will eclipse the old cars in every way. they will go ahead in leaps and bounds. So traditional falcon buyers will migrate to other brands etc. This makes the future bleak for stored old performance cars

the GTHO isnt actually much special at all. Its just that Ford stopped making V8s for a decade and the windsor V8 was pretty soft so the GTHO was still the performance king.. Ford falcon was also a big seller back then and plenty of buyers and short supply of GTHOs...

The future is opposite, the ford falcon buyers are migrating to other makes and the next generation wont know what a falcon is? There will be a big supply of stored muscle cars pop up in 20 years and next to no buyers.
HULK_I6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2015, 10:17 AM   #99
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Problem is car enthusiasts are a very small collective, even smaller are collectors and then you have to think about the differences in generations too.

Baby Boomers are the ones chasing the classic cars which were the heroes of their youth.

35 years from now you guys would have turned up your toes or be right on the edge unfortunately (you got too old).

The hero cars of Gen Y are generally Jap Imports rather than locals, we may seem like the majority here on AFF (or LS1) but as a generation us younger guys are more favorable to Imports than locals and much less classics.

Maybe the cars fetching the big $$$ 30 years from now will be Toyota Supra, R32-34 Skyline GTR and of course R35 GTR.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2015, 10:46 AM   #100
superyob
Banned

Hulk! We agree on something! Sort of...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2015, 10:51 AM   #101
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post

The new cars will eclipse the old cars in every way. they will go ahead in leaps and bounds. So traditional falcon buyers will migrate to other brands etc. This makes the future bleak for stored old performance cars
I've been waiting for you to Post in here.
This thread seems like a perfect setup for you to comment... (But I actually agree with you in a way)

There will be people after the collectables, but not with the same sort of cash as the past. We wont see another example like an XY GTHO.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2015, 11:13 AM   #102
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Problem is car enthusiasts are a very small collective, even smaller are collectors and then you have to think about the differences in generations too.

Baby Boomers are the ones chasing the classic cars which were the heroes of their youth.

35 years from now you guys would have turned up your toes or be right on the edge unfortunately (you got too old).

The hero cars of Gen Y are generally Jap Imports rather than locals, we may seem like the majority here on AFF (or LS1) but as a generation us younger guys are more favorable to Imports than locals and much less classics.

Maybe the cars fetching the big $$$ 30 years from now will be Toyota Supra, R32-34 Skyline GTR and of course R35 GTR.
And most young people of today dont even care about cars, they would rather take public transport so they can play with their phones.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2015, 12:14 PM   #103
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesoarer View Post
I'm banking on high km EB Ghia V8s being worth something in the future
I had to sell mine with one too many cars out the front.
I really didn't want to but had to make one of those awful grown-up decisions and I placed on ad on Gumtree. Was sold and collected within 45 minutes.
I see a very similar one close to home now (only a Falcon 4.0L) but same stance, body colour and interior colour and gee it makes me miss mine.
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-06-2015, 12:41 PM   #104
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin View Post
And most young people of today dont even care about cars, they would rather take public transport so they can play with their phones.
Phones ?
Thats old news. Its the watches now...

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2015, 02:59 PM   #105
BA Supa Pursuit

I agree that r32 GTR's will most probably be in the mix due to their racing heritage and success in Australian Touring Car racing. It will always be remembered as the car that forced the current V8 supercar rules and regs. Not to mention the infamous "pack of *********" comment on the Bathurst podium.

I have owned many performance cars and consider myself to have an open mind and be free of bias. I've owned and enjoyed both an evo and wrx, even had two rx7s. But I keep finding myself going back to a v8 rear drive sedan. The EVO 5 I sold recently was an exceptionally fast package, but for me I missed the muscle and character only a rwd v8 Aussie sedan brings. Yes the evo is an engineering masterpiece, but it's not Aussie and didn't give me the same special feeling that my sweet sounding xr8 does (and the xr8 was bought for a 1/3 of what I sold the evo for).

IMO there will always be a market for these cars in the future. They will always be a part of Australian history, and for me nothing beats the sound of an Aussie v8. If I had more $$ I would put more Aussie v8s away. I would love to add a clean BA or bf xr8 or vs hsv to my au xr8. I'm not looking to make $$ but I know I would enjoy them and defiantly not loose out if I needed to sell them in the future.

I am an 80's child, so I didn't grow up with GTHO and toranas racing at Bathurst. Here in my home town a lucky self made gent has an impressive collection of 70's muscle cars including a phase 3, two other XY Gt's, ss hatch, numerous monaros etc etc. Recently I was invited to have a look at the collection. Even though these cars were not relevant to me as an 80's kid, I was still in awe of them. They are an important part of Aussie history and I would still kill to own one.

AU XR8 sedan, Tickford optioned body kit & wheels, Galaxy blue, auto, pedders suspension, mild cam, headers, full system. (Weekend ride)

Previous Fords:

BA mk2 FPV Super Pursuit, manual, Mercury, Herrod cams, shaker, di-fillipo system.

BA mk1 XR8 sedan, auto, silhouette, leather, premium sound, 18" speedy wheels, cat back system.

SX Territory, silhouette, 7 seats RWD.
BA Supa Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: