Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 24-04-2014, 09:24 AM   #1
josem

Default LW Focus Powershift transmission Leak

My 2011 LW Focus Ambiente was leaking transmission fluid. I started noticing a very small lead at 5,000 kms after I changed the oil myself (cannot wait for the 15,000 service). I was surprised the dealer did not report it during the 1,000 kms free check-up. I guessed at that time it was very minor. Now at 35,000 the leak was spreading at the bottom of the transmission and I booked it to be looked at by the dealer.

Is the powershift transmission leak a widespread problem ?

The other thing I wanted to point out to members who have their fords serviced at the dealership is they need to learn how to remove the under engine cover (you just need an allen key) and check things yourself because my ford has been serviced 3 times and the dealer did not report any leaks. They either missed the leaks (almost impossible to miss if you change the oil) or decided to overlook it. Even the coolant leak my ford has was discovered by me after I decided to check myself if they put in a new oil filter after the service and I have to go underneath the car to check if the filter is new. The red coolant was all over the water pump and the pulleys and the bottom cover.

This is my 2nd repair under warranty and I am starting to be nervous what other things will need repairs after the warranty period. This is my 20th car and my 4th Ford and the first one I have to bring in to the dealer for warranty repairs.

josem is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2014, 09:52 AM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: LW Focus Powershift transmission Leak

Bugger....

Funny how seemingly obvious warranty repairs get missed, yet 50% used wiper blades, brake pads, rotors, tyres etc seem to have a whole team attending to these items and ready to change them 'just in case'.....

Hot tip... change service centres pronto... this is only the start.

If you are staying there due to some rubbish extended dealer warranty, rip it up and eat it. You will get more benefit from the fibre content of the paper as it’s worth more to you than the print.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-04-2014, 08:57 PM   #3
Citwit

I would agree with josem. I have no confidence in my local dealer to do work properly or in some cases at all. You expect that a dealership would be the expert and do work professionally. Amongst other issues, on 2 occasions obvious abnormal tyre wear was missed. At the 30,000 km service I was advised to have a wheel alignment done at the next service. I asked why, assuming they had found a problem, but no it was their recommendation to have a wheel alignment every second service not because there was a problem. The tyres were wearing abnormally but they hadn't noticed.
One of the cars from where I work scrubbed the front tyres out on the outside edges to the extent they needed replacing. The same dealership hadn't noticed. I was always under the impression that I was paying for their expertise in looking for these issues as part of scheduled servicing.
Also if you have a car that is leased always ask for a copy of the invoice that the dealer sends the lease company to check what you are being charged for. I found the odd wheel balance that I am sure was not done. Always things that would be hard to dispute.
Citwit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2014, 09:04 PM   #4
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I really think ford dealers have no idea. I had very very basic issues with my fiesta. One of which was a intermittent stalling, especially on hot days or heavy traffic. Their response was "the computer shows nothing, you will have show it to us so we can diagnose it".
Well a quick trip to ultra tune for my next service (first time going there) and before he had even looked at the car he had diagnosed a dirty throttle body. Which is exactly what it was. A very basic service item. Yet for Ford, it was too hard. Never ever going back.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:40 AM   #5
valkyt6
Starter Motor

hi
my focus went in for warranty just before warranty period finished for an engine light problem. I was told the problem was fixed an upgrade of software done on the transmission and engine management computers no leaks. Had to do a teach function for 300kms the clutches still changing a bit shuddery sometimes but was tolled this was normal.
Now the focus is out of warranty went to change the oil, dropped the engine under tray to my surprise an oil leak from the transmission strange how these things show up after warranty expires.
Seems to be a oil seal on the input shafts of the twin clutches the ones installed are the inferior type and are prone to leak can't prove it that it wasn't there when it was in at warranty, I believed the service guy that everything was ok, maybe saving them warranty dollars if they over look things that they know are giving them problems.
so what is next, send in to get it repaired at my expense $$$.
Wait for ford to releasing repair manuals for the late model focus that probably wont happen for a long time.
get rid of my focus with great handling, economical, happy with everything but the leak
what do you think ???
regards greg
valkyt6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2014, 10:54 AM   #6
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Hello Greg,

Get onto Ford CRC pronto. I had a similar experience with trying to get soemthing fixed just out of warranty that SHOULD have been done before.

The dealer will certainly fob you off. Apparently, there is a department that deals with 'just out of warranty repairs' and will take customer loyality, problem and duration after warranty into consideration.

They may offer you options of a full repair, labour or materials cost only or nothing.

If you can show that it was recently serviced and the problem was 'missed' you may have a leg to stand on to get a full repair.

Good luck and be persistent... trust me it works.

Jason

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-05-2014, 12:30 PM   #7
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

they are supposed to use genuine ford parts on warranty repairs so if they used inferior ones the factory will tear strips off them but say its the dealers issue
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2014, 06:21 PM   #8
Imolator
Quad Cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by valkyt6 View Post
hi
so what is next, send in to get it repaired at my expense $$$.
Wait for ford to releasing repair manuals for the late model focus that probably wont happen for a long time.
get rid of my focus with great handling, economical, happy with everything but the leak
what do you think ???
regards greg
Even with a repair manual you wouldn't be able to do a repair without special tools and software unfortunately.

The following Youtube clip shows a strip down and rebuild and reprogram of a DCT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVJnNPbjjjs
Imolator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2014, 04:49 PM   #9
alokin123

Same problem as the original poster. Mine is a 2012 sport.

They have had the car for a week now and there is still shuddering. The service manager is going to drive the car to see what its like. It feels like the service centre hasnt seen the problem before based on whats going on which i find hard to believe but i am remaining calm for the moment.

This is the latest TSB:

http://www.fordtechservice.dealercon...uage=EN&VIN=no

Whats more the video posted by Imolator should be of great concern. At about 9:13. The black seals. Anyone with this car with the black seals is going to potentially going to have this problem at some point if it hasn't already started if the information that video is anything to go by.

The Ford tech who posted the video has posted on this forum: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...d.php?t=411722
alokin123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post