Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-03-2014, 06:57 PM   #31
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Default Re: Finally an article with a ford positive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
The Falcon I6 engine is the pearler, minimal oil use, economical, normally nothing goes wrong, whereas both Holden V6 engines I've heard of horror stories, including oil consumption problems on some that have carried into the VF's.
It's only one example but my bro has a bunnings company car, a last of the ve2s before vf.a wagon. He said they fell for the whole new Eco engine thing Holden was pushing but in the real world they're far from economic. He gets very similiar economy in his jeep unlimited on the same runs. It's falling apart and he looks after it. He wouldn't even 'show me what it's got' when I asked the rear loading is very overstated and the gearbox is like something from the nineties......soooo slow.
So they're of to mondeo/falcon or most likely Ranger soon.
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2014, 07:44 PM   #32
mattrobbo26

For those who didn't get to see the article I cant find a link to it so I've typed it up.

Badge for badge and car for car, Ford beats Holden. That sounds crazy when the red lion is so far ahead in sales but Holden's success is all about the Commodore. It's not just the car itself, which is handily the best Australian car of all time, but the halo it provides for the rest of the range - from the baby Barina Spark through to the heavyweight Colarado. Thousands of new-car shoppers head to a Holden dealership because of the confidence they get from the Commodore. But if you kill the Commodore, as Holden will in 2016, you breathe life back into Ford. Right now, Holden is the champion team but Ford has the team of champions. The blue oval brand's Fiesta, Focus, Mondeo, EcoSport, Territory and Ranger are so far ahead of their red lion rivals that it's a non-event. Ford also picks up the Mustang as its halo car in 2015 and it's already building plenty of excitement. The difference between the brands is that Ford Australia has tapped into a global development program that's producing great cars and finding cost-effective factories - as in Thailand - to build them. Holden is taking its cars from Korea with minimal local tweaking. As Holden winds down its engineering efforts and sells the Lang Lang proving ground that's been used to such great effect for Australian development since the 1950's, things can only get worse. Detroit promises big things for the next generation of General Motors cars - there are already plenty of mid-sized Insignias in secret development in Melbourne. But if the Cruze experience is any indication, it will take a lot more than promises to produce the long-term import success that Holden craves. Even now, Holden is in trouble with cars that are good but not great. The Captiva should be easy to recommend, and the Series II update made a big difference, but it's still not a Territory beater and is well behind the class leaders. The Barina is better than it was ... but that wasn't much. Ironically, salvation for holden could come from Opel, the German GM brand that was shut down less than a year into a stand alone sales program. It has the classy cars that Australians crave, provided they can roll into Holden showrooms at affordable prices.
mattrobbo26 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 16-03-2014, 10:31 PM   #33
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Every week there is a new Commodore owner complaining of oil consumption issues in Carsguide. It will go down with the early LS1 in terms of being an oil guzzler at this rate.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-03-2014, 08:55 AM   #34
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Every week there is a new Commodore owner complaining of oil consumption issues in Carsguide. It will go down with the early LS1 in terms of being an oil guzzler at this rate.
And some years from now when an article appears talking about VE/VF as a second hand buy all the "problem issues" get discussed in detail making you think "how the hell did it keep selling to repeat buyers?''?

I'm not sure how Ford picks up it's image when it's cars are already at the top end of their respective segments. For example Mazda is NOT held in as high regard in other parts of the world or lead any other market, Ford is far more loved in the US then it is in Aust. However one needs to study how Mazda Australia has lifted it's image and sales because even it's international divisions have done the same to see how they achieved it.

Last edited by Dr Smith; 17-03-2014 at 09:04 AM.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-03-2014, 12:19 PM   #35
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
And some years from now when an article appears talking about VE/VF as a second hand buy all the "problem issues" get discussed in detail making you think "how the hell did it keep selling to repeat buyers?''?

I'm not sure how Ford picks up it's image when it's cars are already at the top end of their respective segments. For example Mazda is NOT held in as high regard in other parts of the world or lead any other market, Ford is far more loved in the US then it is in Aust. However one needs to study how Mazda Australia has lifted it's image and sales because even it's international divisions have done the same to see how they achieved it.
Its like how VW is considered an upmarket brand over here but everyone in the USA hates them.

I guess its down to local marketing teams and how they position their products and sell it to people.

The same how Honda markets itself as "The Japanese BMW" in Australia so their parts prices match that stigma, where-as in the USA they needed a luxury brand "Acura" to justify their high prices.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-03-2014, 12:50 PM   #36
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post

I'm not sure how Ford picks up it's image when it's cars are already at the top end of their respective segments. For example Mazda is NOT held in as high regard in other parts of the world or lead any other market, Ford is far more loved in the US then it is in Aust. However one needs to study how Mazda Australia has lifted it's image and sales because even it's internationally divisions have done the same to see how they achieved it.
Ford needs a long term 'Zoom Zoom' style push in Australia. I think out will come in the next couple of years.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2014, 01:10 PM   #37
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
VF chassis is a generational leap ahead of FG it seems.
I don't know about that. Retuning the suspension and adding alloy control arms to the front end doesn't make it a "generational leap" in my book - because that's all the VF got over VE. Oh, and EPASS.

The chassis is, for all intents and purposes, the same core Zeta platform it was before.

Because here's the rub: FG debuted in 2008 with that fantastic virtual pivot front suspension with forged alloy A-arms, and the SZ Territory brought EPASS with it in 2011 which means it is now only a stone's throw away from going into the Falcon, given they share most of the important chassis and powertrain hardware.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2014, 06:02 PM   #38
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by neptune blue View Post
Gover says ford line up is better than Holden line up
well, it is 'job done' for Gover as far as putting the boot into local builders. No point kicking them while they're down.
Old 19-03-2014, 10:08 PM   #39
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

eh, I don't see the differences between this article and any other.
The Ford products usually rate pretty well against their competitors, Focus, Ranger, Fiesta, Mondeo, all rate highly and are considered bench marks in their categories the world over. So this article is no surprise to me.

I think the finally part is more a reference to Falcon.
Old 20-03-2014, 09:53 AM   #40
desGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
VF caught up to Falcon, nothing more. I don't count the gadgets as an advance, they are gimmicks in my opinion. And I should know, I have one.
Agree with the gimmicks (as a HSV Owner), I have turned off as many as possible. I have no idea what the half the other alarms are all about (eg: closing rear hatch on wagon, car beeps twice - guy in van going past stops, gets out and says "what the f is wrong with you?", pointed out I was at rear of wagon, and have no idea what the car was complaining about).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40RDT View Post
Interesting going by reviews the VF chassis and interior seem to be a generation ahead of the FG. I was thinking of upgrading to a VF SSV but if they are only on par with FG's I might just stick with a FG T6 of some kind, or even better maybe a FH Xr6t depending on how they look
After previously owning BF and FG GT's, the quality of the Gen-F interior is sooooo refreshing. The crappy plastic GT interiors were shameful.

Both FPV and HSV cars are a fantastic pat on the back to our small design and engineering centres. Enjoyed them both, equally.
desGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post