Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-04-2011, 10:47 PM   #1
Kryton

Default Mazda 6 Diesel (MZR-CD GG Series 2) - thoughts?

Anyone here have one?
What do you think of it?
Build quality?
performance?
fuel efficiency?
cost to maintain?
drivability?
Interested in hearing the good and the bad about it.

Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2011, 11:31 PM   #2
cupic
Nikon

Default Re: Mazda 6 Diesel (MZR-CD GG Series 2) - thoughts?

Mate bought one about 3 weeeks ago and still hasnt fuelled up I think a round trip is 40k's,goes like the stig he's is a 2006 model I thinks ,hes impressed for what it is

cheers
cupic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2011, 11:40 PM   #3
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Our daughter and her husband have one, a 2007 model, and they couldn't be happier. The damn thing goes like a cut snake, handles really well for a front-driver, and is extremely comfortable on a long trip...not to mention the staggering fuel economy. It's got the typical top shelf Mazda build quality and a great "solid" feeling on the road, and the fittings all have a very nice feel to them.

Buy one...you'll love it.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2011, 12:35 AM   #4
1TUFFUTE
Banned

looks good to me..but is it as good as the euro mondeo???
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2011, 12:41 AM   #5
Kryton

Not interested in the Mondeo - hasnt even made the short list.
Dont want a debate about it either, just want to find out other peoples opinions on the Mazda.
2 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2011, 01:41 AM   #6
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

I have not driven one but we had a solid look at them, sat inside, fiddled and have pulled all the stats apart. They certainly stack up well on the stats and seem a lot better value than anything else in the class. The quality of build seemed very good and the interior appeared very pleasing and logical.

I do not know anyone that has one of these but I do know a number of people that have Mazda 3's and if they are anything to go by, this one will be trouble free motoring, none of my friends have had a problem with their Mazda.

This vehicle was in my front runner list, about to organise a test drive when I found the car we will be buying so I did not worry about it. I would suggest you give them a serious look if you are searching for something in that class.
Old 16-04-2011, 02:35 AM   #7
Kryton

On paper the Focus TDCi should be the front runner as it has even better fuel economy and it is cheaper (for a newer model).
But the Mazda just seems more refined though and i can live with the extra few ml/100km used.
the more i look at this car, the more i like it.
Just a pity the 09 Sport Diesel is out of the budget - that thing IS nice!
Old 16-04-2011, 02:40 AM   #8
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Mazda 6 is not a competitor to the focus, mazda 3 is. From memory the Mondeo diesel is more expensive than the Mazda 6.
Old 16-04-2011, 08:57 PM   #9
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Do you do a lot of short trips? ie 5 min down to the shops and back? If so I would think hard about it. Some of the GG's are prone to DPF problems. That seems to be the main common issue with them but it seems more common to cars that do alot of short trips. The problem is the DPF doesn't get hot enough to do a burn off.

It is a pity you can't stretch for a GH. We have a GH2 and has been faultless. Well actually it dropped an O2 sensor within the first 1000km but other than that it has been faultless. It is a great car to drive and when on boost has more then enough power for a family car. Averaging around 6.0L/100km is a bonus. Inside it is hard to pick as a diesel (outside on idle is a different story) and I feel it actually sounds similar to a boxer engine when giving it to it.

I highly recommend a GH diesel!
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2011, 09:55 PM   #10
Kryton

Work is 60km round trip on the highway so DPF problems shouldnt really be an issue.
Old 16-04-2011, 09:59 PM   #11
Ford Falcon XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I work as an apprentice mechanic for Mazda the diesel 6 is great on fuel and build quality but service prices are much higher and the DPF causes lots of problems even with highway driving otherwise a great car
Ford Falcon XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-03-2014, 02:48 PM   #12
mrbopolino
IRBOSS

i believe the DPF needs to be manually 'burnt off' by the dealer during service.
im told it has to be connected to their diagnostics and reset. any truth to this?
mrbopolino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2014, 09:27 PM   #13
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

Default Mazda 6 Diesel (MZR-CD GG Series 2) - thoughts?

The outlaws have a 2007 model. Faultless so far. Do bugger all kays, just clocked for 40000 km for a 7 year old car. Build quality of my MPS has been exceptional so far. With the popularity of the GG model, 2nd hand parts are relatively common. If you can get by with a petrol the Honda euro is probably a better option (better engineer car).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hers
BFII Ghia
GQ_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2014, 11:22 PM   #14
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbopolino View Post
i believe the DPF needs to be manually 'burnt off' by the dealer during service.
im told it has to be connected to their diagnostics and reset. any truth to this?
it a pretty old thread mate, but to answer your question..

burn off is automatic, no dealer intervention needed.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2014, 06:05 PM   #15
bluebottle-63
Crank handle

I had a 2008 Mazda 3 MZR-CD Hatch. 2L turbo diesel. It was a "flood damaged" write-off (my ****). I searched that car from stem to stern for signs of flood damage and could not find a thing. It was a little beauty. I loved it. 6 speed manual and a torquey little turbo diesel, fantastic, What a fun car. Great handling, excellent build and economy to boot; What more could you ask for? I believe (from what I've been told and what I've read) that the Mazda 6 gets better fuel economy than the Mazda 3 even though the engine and trans are exactly the same. I guess it's because the Mazda 3 is so much fun to drive…
We traded the Mazda for a Subaru Outback. Mainly because the missus wanted a car with only two pedals on the floor. No regrets with the Subaru however, it's a fantastic car too. But I do miss the Mazda….
bluebottle-63 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2014, 09:17 PM   #16
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Japanese and 'Asian' diesels in general are Euro 4 compliant versus the Euro 5 compliance of 'European' diesels. Its a small issue but if your looking for the latest technology....
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post