Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > Eurofordclub.com > EuroFordClub.com

EuroFordClub.com European Ford Owners Club of Australia forum

Old 31-12-2005, 11:13 PM   #1
fordarn

Talking need some mods

am extreamly happy with my focus zetec looks great, handles great
but the other half cannot drive a manual so yes it is an auto and being an auto four cylinder lacks guts! Can any one tell me what they have done to get a bit better performance out of it with out spending $10000 on a turbo or supercharger I know you can get k&n filters but are they really worth it. Its done 24000 ks now and in the last 2000 ks it seems to have lost a bit of grunt off the line but it also could be the heat of summer so let us know your thoughts or im goin to buy an F6 tornado.

fordarn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2006, 04:28 PM   #2
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Which model Focus is it? LR or LS (current)
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2006, 07:51 PM   #3
fordarn

sorry mate a 2004 zetec
fordarn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2006, 12:01 PM   #4
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

a 2inch cat back exhaust with give you a bit more grunt, and it will keep your torque down low still which you want for off the line power.
get a proper mid muffler (not just a small resonator) and then a PROPER muffler for the rear ( having said that i think on after market systems the ''rear'' muffler sits about 1 meter from the back bumper.)

this will keep it nice and quiet, give you fantastic low and midrange and slightly better top end power. also will sound the nuts

when it comes to intake its just got to be done!! no real use getting more gases out if u cant get em in just as quickly hay. Most people settle with a panel filter but a few here have bought american race style pod setups, personally with my fiesta when i get rid of the airbox (which will be very very soon) im going to get the K&N '''apollo cai'' its a pod filter thats got a complete heat shield around it with one intake point to which a special pipe is hooked on and locked in. run that to wherever you want to get air from and thats that.

these are the two basic things most people do, im not sure where to look for an exhaust manifold (extractors, headers) for a zetec focus.. perhaps www.infocusmotorsport.com but be prepared to pay a hefty amount.

One other suggestion is Hi tech exhausts in sydney. ring them and ask about a set of customs.. you will find they are very reasonable.
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2006, 10:21 AM   #5
melbzetec

mmmmmmmmmmmmm 2.25 inch I think on a Focus.

Certainly catback and intake are the two starting points. But there is no simple bolt-on that will give you huge power increases on the Focus.

Hi-Tech would be a great start. They manufacured the Herrod stainless exhaust I've got. Reputedly about 5kW, but I haven't dynoed it against stock.

Intake: I'm a big fan of the Pipercross Viper. Dynoed an extra 6+ fwkw on mine. But I don't know of anyone else with one here in OZ but big in the UK.

Track down a copy of the High-Performance Ford Focus Builders Handbook by Richard Holdener (Pitstop Books in Perth on the net). A good basic starting point.

Focus Fanatics, Focaljet (US) , and Ford Focus Owners Club(UK) are good places to start on the net.

Good Luck and have fun!
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.

Old 04-01-2006, 07:11 PM   #6
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

You certainly will notice power loss due to the higher heat of summer, but you get that in any vehicle, not just the Focus of course (I know you know this, just confirming that I have noticed it also in summer).

2 inch exhaust, K+N air filter, and an induction kit will keep you happy. I loved mine to bits.

Timmeh
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2006, 11:30 PM   #7
zetec
Zoom Zoom

You will notice the heat affects the Focus particularly in summer, since the cat converter is mounted right in front of the engine and superheats the engine bay. Heat is the biggest killer of performance. Foci scream on a cold morning, they love it.

You might also notice that since the oil is getting a little old, due for replacement at your next schedulaed service at 30,000km, it will feel tighter and fresher then once the oil is changed.

The Hi-Tech (Herrod) exhaust is a 2.5 inch full stainless system with dual mufflers custom designed for the Focus, the best system in Australia in terms of the design and quality with mandrel bends. It is sporty but not too loud.

If you're on a tighter budget, I'd recommend 2 1/4 inch with a single muffler for power in mid to top end, or a 2 inch system to keep better low down driveability, again with a single muffler whilst slightly more restricted up top. Only use a double muffler setup on a bigger exhaust such as the 2.5 inch diameter Hi-Tech job. With an auto, avoid hotdogs/cannons AT ALL COSTS. The drone will be disgraceful. We are fitting my old 2 1/4 inch system with single muffler this weekend to an auto LX so we'll let you know how it goes. I'd agree with Tim though, if you can't pay the roughly $800 for the big zorst from Hi-Tech, go a 2-inch through your local exhaust joint with single muffler and a nice chrome 3 inch tip.
Old 04-01-2006, 11:49 PM   #8
b2tf
not here much anymore

I have a K&N panel in very good nick for sale for $50 if you want it. When I put it on to an otherwise mechanically stock car it certainly did make a difference - let it breathe a lot easier. This weekend I'll be replacing the entire intake system with a K&N Typhoon system - basically a pod filter and new intake tube, so it'll be interesting to see how it goes.

As Matt said, my new exhaust goes on this weekend and it will be interesting to see what difference it makes. Tis a 2.25" with single muffler, I have an auto so I am a little concerned about drone etc but I dont think it will be an issue. If it is its an easy enough task to have another muffler welded in later.

As has also been said, an oil change and service makes a lot of difference. These cars are, from what Ive found so far, pretty picky little buggers sometimes, but if you give them good quality things, you will get go from them.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:38 PM   #9
amlohac

Default heat woes

Do not put a pod on a ford focus in australian summer conditions. You will run very seriously lean on fuel which means you have a car that runs like a snail. What i do during winter is put my Unifilter on, and in summer i run my stock box with a k&n pannel. If you take the lil silencer off the side of the box thats an extra point for you to duct cold air into the box, pipe and scoop, works fine!

What im aiming for is a long ram tube, or if i can be bothered ill invest in a pipercros (which work frigging awsome in the focus)
amlohac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2006, 10:49 PM   #10
melbzetec

Quote:
Originally Posted by amlohac
What im aiming for is a long ram tube, or if i can be bothered ill invest in a pipercros (which work frigging awsome in the focus)
Got my Pipercross Viper from Fabre in Sydney. www.fabre.com.au

$495 plus postage. (How much is a K&N Typhoon?)

Avoids any issue with heatsoak as I routed it up through an ST170 snorkel. I think it's "frigging awesome"

Old 05-01-2006, 11:36 PM   #11
b2tf
not here much anymore

typhoon cost about $270, i got mine cheaper than that.