Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-12-2005, 12:25 PM   #1
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

Talking what ba/wrx for 20k?

Hay, Im out looking for a new car at the moment and have between 15-23k to spend. What I originally planned on getting was a my03 (non-buy-eye) style wrx but they are all too expensive at 30k :( Or do you think it would be possible to find one for much less at the auctions? Im planning to get a turbo car not another n/a 6cyl or 4cyl. Iv seen a few auto xr6t for sale on drive for 25k with around 80,000-100,000km on the clock. Im not sure if it would be possible to get into a bug-eye for this price but they are mega ugly :(

I know there are a few other options like skylines, celicas, silvas and stuff but I sorta wanna keep to a gernal market I know about. Iv searched redbook but we all know how useful their prices are in real life. Do you think it would be possible to get into a my03 wrx they all seem to be 30k or a 2003 xr6t for around the price range of 25k probably Max ?

Old 28-12-2005, 12:28 PM   #2
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Really comes down to whether you can afford to spend $3000 on just insurance or not!
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2005, 12:29 PM   #3
Steffo
LPG > You

http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsa...ch_distance=25

2003 Ford Falcon BA XR6 Turbo
$24,995
149,000km, sedan, citric acid
auto 4spd
in Eatons Hill, QLD.

Click here for one for $24,200 in Victoria with 79,660km auto

Click here for a Phantom XR6 Turbo, Victoria again, 115,000km, auto, $23,500

Here's one in Concord, here in Sydney, $25,000, Mercury Silver, 71,000km, auto... click here
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2005, 12:36 PM   #4
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Before I comment, can I ask you how old you are. The reason I ask is because it will have an inpact on your insurance and inturn it will involve the decission you make on what car you will buy....

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2005, 12:39 PM   #5
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

Yeah I saw that falcon for 25k but was wondering isnt 150k alot and its auto :(

Im 21 id have to insure the car in my parents name for cheaper insurance like im doing now and just put myself down as one of the drivers.
Old 28-12-2005, 12:50 PM   #6
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman
Iv searched redbook but we all know how useful their prices are in real life. ?
I just bought a car and found Redbooks prices to be spot on - its the private car sellers who have no idea how much their car is actually worth ing_sm

I've seen a heap of XR6T's for around $25K with less kms than that by the way. Have you considered the 200SX as well for a comparison?

XR6T is *%#!**%#!**%#!**%#!*eloads cheaper insurance as well than either WRX or 200SX ect.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2005, 01:25 PM   #7
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah I saw that falcon for 25k but was wondering isnt 150k alot and its auto :(

Im 21 id have to insure the car in my parents name for cheaper insurance like im doing now and just put myself down as one of the drivers.
Based on your age, you would be far better of getting the XR6t, Reason is insurance at 1/2 the price. The Rex is a good car, but it falls down when it come to insurance. Anyway regardless of your age, an XR6t will be a better car in every aspect of driving and insuring

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
Old 28-12-2005, 03:49 PM   #8
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

well a xr6 and wrx are two very different cars. i am confused why you are considering either one of them, is it simply because they have a turbo? Because thats where the simularitys end. Maby have a think about what you really want, do you want a large rwd big engined family car or a little 4wd 2l buzzbox? Ask yourself which caters you the best. because comparing a WRX with a XR6 is like comparing apples with oranges.
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2005, 09:07 PM   #9
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Really comes down to whether you can afford to spend $3000 on just insurance or not!

That's exactly right.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2005, 11:43 PM   #10
BA GT-HO
Bring back Ambrose!

Tough one, they are such different cars.

The XR6T is just so very different compared to most Japanese turbos I have driven and ridden in. With the Japanese cars you really have to work the gearbox and keep an eye on the revs because they don't have the XR6T's low down torque. But working the gearbox isn't a bad thing as it is fun and most Jap manuals are actually a pleasure to shift.

However the XR6T's interior is so much nicer than a WRX or 200SX in my opinion, plus insurance would be far less on a T than a WRX. I was paying around $1700 a year (21 years of age) when I owned an XR6T through Just Cars. Out of interest I asked for a quote on a S15 200SX. It was above $3000!

With the saving on insurance alone you would be able to treat yourself to an edit and 250rwkw!

But it just depends on what you would be really happy with in the end, all you can do is read people's opinons on here, take both for a drive, add up associated costs for both, then make a decision.

Good luck.
BA GT-HO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2005, 12:00 AM   #11
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my advice to you would be to keep your eyes open on both these forums and the xr6 turbo forums in the for sale sections if you decide to get an xr6t. There are often bargains in there with heaps less km than that. 150,000km on an 03 build is way high, the old mans ba is on 03 build and it hasn't even clicked 50,000km.
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2005, 12:29 AM   #12
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

Yeah im thinking a xr6t sounds best and they are soo easy to get the power out of. The other option im considering is the 'no fun' option which is keep the money put it in savings and buy like a 1-2k early e-series car. A house deposit is tempting~!
Old 29-12-2005, 12:58 AM   #13
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

ahhh decisions decisions....i see your house dilemma...had one myself...so i sorta compromised...got a vx ss instead of an updated VZ model and had savings left over to put towards a deposit.
Oh and by the way, go the Xr6T. They command a lot more respect from the red brigade. A lot of fools try and race something remotely ricey.
SSBUB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2005, 01:09 AM   #14
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah im thinking a xr6t sounds best and they are soo easy to get the power out of. The other option im considering is the 'no fun' option which is keep the money put it in savings and buy like a 1-2k early e-series car. A house deposit is tempting~!
That is a very very good idea. get the house first then a year later get the car.. It is extremely hard to get a house when you have a car loan. Just remember this For every 10'000 you owe on a personal loan or lease, that is 30'000 of your borowing capacity. Food for thought..

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
Old 29-12-2005, 08:27 AM   #15
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Definatley buy the house FIRST. You will be in a much better financial position in a few years time if you do. Besides once you start paying off the house and paying bills ect. you will know exactly how much you have left over to spend on car repayments and hence target your choice of car to that.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2005, 12:16 PM   #16
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

Yeah the thing was this 20k isn't borrowed money its actual money in the bank. So yeah im thinking should I re-live the ea days and get a house. Iv actually just left my old job and getting a new one so im thinking if I waited 6 months and saved again i could have like 30k for house deposit which is hard to turn down
Old 29-12-2005, 02:19 PM   #17
Des
V8 Rock'n'Roll....

Location: You got me Rootin' like a Hog, Barkin' like a Dog, Climbing trees and Jumping logs....

To me there's no choice: house first, car way back in second.

208.8 rwkw stock, update soon

20x8.5 fr 20x10 rr
Rumble thanks to:
Sureflo Exhaust - Stainless Cat's & 3.5in single catback system

"Tell 'em the guy with the Blue Mohawk sent Ya"
Des is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2005, 05:04 PM   #18
kooky
WRX terrorist

a very tidy example they are out there
http://www.wrx.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27464
Old 29-12-2005, 07:51 PM   #19
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

I was having a look at some xr6 turbos dam the resale is bad on them now heaps for sale for 25k all over the place with low kms.
Old 29-12-2005, 10:19 PM   #20
BA GT-HO
Bring back Ambrose!

Go the house.

I got rid of my XR6T for that very reason.

Think about it.. Wow, you'd have a car that has x amount of kw and can do xx.xx 1/4 mile. That isn't going to make you money in the long term is it? Plus you would get bored of the car in about 6 months anyway because you'd be used to the power.

I just turned 21 when I bought my T, and trust me I had a hell of a time owning and caning it, but 18 months later I just thought about the big picture, sold it and bought an EL. Now I am saving so much more money it's incredible, and most of the saved money goes right into my house deposit fund.

I know how you feel because you only live once and you would like to spend money whilst your young like I still do, but just think about what is going to happen in 10 years time when you are 30+ with a (by then) old car, no house and still renting..

Tough call mate..
BA GT-HO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post