Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 30-01-2005, 03:23 PM   #1
EA_Bender
Hmmm Gold!!!

Default Fuel Gauge Problems

Hey everyone, well im back with problem #438.

My fuel gauge isnt working. As i turn the car on, it rises to the full mark but it hits that the drops straight to empty. I wasnt sure if it was the gauge or the sender. i unplugged the sender on the tank and the gauge did the same thing. this makes me think the gauge is rooted. does this sound like a reasonable explaination to u?

i just dont want to get a new one when its not that at fault

thnks
bender
1990 EA Series 2 Fairmont, Low Springs and shocks, 17 x 7 Advanti Flash Mags running on Falken rubber :, EL XR8 Sway Bars, NGK Iridium Plugs, New Trip Comp, Pacemaker 4480, 2.5 system 4L ED engine with surecam

Now Sporting - OED666's 202+ RWHP engine!! :dj: fully
EA_Bender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2005, 11:04 AM   #2
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bender .... I could just about bet anything that its the guage ... there was a thread about this before and we all seem to have similar problems of guages not reading correctly or not at all :(
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2005, 02:02 PM   #3
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Good ole Ford building of a Guess-o-Fuel meter (tm). Just get the whole lot changed, i hould hopefully fix it, unless you get components from another car that suffers the same problem.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2005, 10:40 PM   #4
rawlinna
Starter Motor

The gauge is probably ok.
You've got an open circuit somewhere in the wiring to the tank sender or the sender itself is open circuit.
rawlinna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2005, 11:49 PM   #5
DentEd XR8

Seeing as you've just changed the fuel pump I'd be checking the wiring around that area first.

Which dash have you got? I may be able to find a spare one you can test with
Old 01-02-2005, 12:03 AM   #6
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah the Fairmont I have had this problem, just the sender wire in the boot was just cut (it did have LPG at one stage)

I imagine if the guage was at fault you wouldnt get anything?
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2005, 11:06 AM   #7
EA_Bender
Hmmm Gold!!!

Ed - i dont think its the fuel pump, while i had it out i checked it, another reason i dont think its the pump is when i unplug the sender, the gauge does the same thing...

its EA faimont, with the 6 gauges on it

Martin - that was my next step, to see if there is a breakage in the wires anywhere, (could be great fun to fix...) altho im not sure why the wire would have been cut. unless theres some dodgy wiring going on

bender
1990 EA Series 2 Fairmont, Low Springs and shocks, 17 x 7 Advanti Flash Mags running on Falken rubber :, EL XR8 Sway Bars, NGK Iridium Plugs, New Trip Comp, Pacemaker 4480, 2.5 system 4L ED engine with surecam

Now Sporting - OED666's 202+ RWHP engine!! :dj: fully
EA_Bender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2005, 07:15 PM   #8
DentEd XR8

Sorry mate I didnt mean the sender/pump assembly, I meant the loom that connects to it laying around in the boot, like you may have pulled on it or crushed it or something, ya never know. I always try and look in the area that has been recently disturbed that may have something to do with a new problem