Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 24-08-2012, 03:38 PM   #1
nevetsg

Default Oily Bowsers

After 2 Diesel stops in the TDCi I have discovered the issue with owning a diesel car. It has nothing to do with the car.
What is with the oily bowser nozzles and diesel spilt all over the ground? I am guessing it is the truck drivers making a mess everywhere. (the guy at the station today was blaming them) Is it that hard to refill and not spill?
I will be putting some latex gloves in the car from now on. Is that with the little cubby hole near the drivers door is designed for .

nevetsg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2012, 03:47 PM   #2
nevetsg

Default Re: Oily Bowsers

On a side note. It was fun being asked by the Station worker and the Petrol delivery truck driver "Do Ford sell a diesel car?" "is it any good?".
Yes they do and it is brilliant!
nevetsg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2012, 04:20 PM   #3
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wait until you have to fill up & it's raining. The lovely smell of diesel will transfer from your shoes & into your carpet..
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2012, 05:20 PM   #4
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Try filling up a motorbike next to a diesel browser .. All the spillage from the diesel pumps on the ground is dangerous on motorbike tyres .. Especially in the wet.

BTW: watched a woman in a diesel Pug attempt to fillup at the hi-flow pump .. Fuel went everywhere including over the car, but woman didn't care .. Just kept pumping, shut the filler, paid and drove off .. Leaving a couple of liters of fuel on the ground.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2012, 07:44 PM   #5
Executer

All the diesel pumps ive been to seem to be greasy and my hand reak after filling up all the time. I keep a container of baby wipes in the driver side door so i can clean my hands or any other grit that may got in the car.
Old 26-08-2012, 07:49 PM   #6
Pub247
Resident F1 Troll

yeah its fair annoying driving the transit and previous izusu i've had my foot slip off clutch pedal and brakes numerous times as your shoes get slippery from diesel on the ground.

I found recently some servos have baby wipes despensers for cleaning your hands afterwards. Failing that i use the water and paper towels used for windscreens
Pub247 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2012, 07:51 PM   #7
anolade
trigger happy

lot of people i know have rigger gloves ( leather gloves from bunnnig) in car to refill seem to keep the smel off hand and dry clean hands
enhanced by team at Blue Power Racing Developments
Now sold off and no longer owns a ford
anolade is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2012, 09:09 PM   #8
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

L O V E the smell

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2012, 04:11 PM   #9
stuart

I used to complain to our local Caltex station as well due to the mess around the truck bowser on the end station of all the pumps. Then one the attendent politely told me they had installed diesel pumps also at the regular car fill pumps.

It was great after that. No more slipping in someones else's slops.

So look around, I think there may be more pumps at the station than you are aware of.
MA TDCi Mondeo sedan
AU Fairmont sedan
EL Futura sedan
EF Futura wagon
XD 4 Ltr sedan
stuart is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2012, 04:17 PM   #10
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevetsg
After 2 Diesel stops in the TDCi I have discovered the issue with owning a diesel car. It has nothing to do with the car.
What is with the oily bowser nozzles and diesel spilt all over the ground? I am guessing it is the truck drivers making a mess everywhere. (the guy at the station today was blaming them) Is it that hard to refill and not spill?
I will be putting some latex gloves in the car from now on. Is that with the little cubby hole near the drivers door is designed for .
I remember when I spent time in UK 8 or 9 years ago where diesels were quite common back then, it was usual practice to have latex gloves in the car to use when refueling.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2012, 11:10 PM   #11
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I used to own my previous TDI Passat I carried clear plastic gloves in the Glovebox (hence the name!). I only used BP Ultimate Diesel and always filled up from the same bowser which was designed for passenger vehicles and was not a high flow pump. The overall presentation of the bowsers at this particular BP was quite impressive. But if you do not have the luxury of filling at the same station / bowser, than I do understand your complaint!