Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 21-04-2012, 04:39 PM   #1
Executer

Default My new TDCI Focus Titanium

G'day guys, here are some pics of my new ride. I love it! I never thought I would ever drive a 4 banger, but to my surprise I found this to be the best car I've ever owned. On top of that, it got my wifes approval! ( for once ). lol.

My first car was a vn v6 wagon, 2nd vx v6, 3rd vs v6, 4th vs v8, 5th Fg egas xr6 ute ( just traded ).

I know the kilowatt figure is only 120 kw, but the torque is 340nm factory! The best bit is, that the power is delivered jice and early through soft acceleration. You dont need to thrash the thing to make it feel good.

If anyone know much about turbo diesels, I'd love your input as I'm a newbie to it. On the card's is to get a better exhaust ( still researching ), more boost and a decent air filter.

2.jpg

4.jpg

1.jpg

Executer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2012, 06:01 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: My new TDCI Focus Titanium

Hey buddy, welcome to the forum and welcome to the diesel club

I've got a diesel TDCI Focus, though an LV, but I'm fairly sure its the same engine.

The issue we're going to have with the exhaust is it has a diesel particulate filter, and if you replace the cat, its going to bring up the engine light on the cluster.

I've got a cold air intake on mine, going to do the intercooler as well, and a turbo back exhaust down the track, but I'll probably keep the DPF/factory cat then get it tuned and get that damn torque limiter removed. At the moment the CAI has done nothing, except it has really loud induction noise now haha.

The last issue we'll have is that we're limited by sensors going out of range once you start trying to fiddle and that the injectors don't flow much more than factory and you can't get aftermarket replacements.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2012, 09:46 AM   #3
Executer

Thanks mate. What exactly is the torque limiter?
Old 22-04-2012, 01:15 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Executer
Thanks mate. What exactly is the torque limiter?
Not sure if its on the 6sp auto, but in my manual, it won't let you put down all the power/torque its got in 1st/2nd gear, I think it might electronically limit boost, because it doesn't make any or much induction noise in those two gears, but in third, it'll push you back into your seat and make loud induction noise.
Old 22-04-2012, 09:58 PM   #5
G6E Turbo 2

I would like to know if you can do performance Tunes on these
Just got my wife new Focus Diesel Sport auto , very nice ride
G6E Turbo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2012, 07:33 PM   #6
Mickmelb

Turbo Diesels are the easiest engine to get a lot of extra power out of try this link.
http://www.racechip.de/racechip-chip...CI-4450-r.html
These guys make quality products that are a 10 minute fit and give you 29% more power and if you remove it before a service is imposable to tell its ever been fitted so no upset warranties down the track.
Mickmelb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #7
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickmelb
Turbo Diesels are the easiest engine to get a lot of extra power out of try this link.
http://www.racechip.de/racechip-chip...CI-4450-r.html
These guys make quality products that are a 10 minute fit and give you 29% more power and if you remove it before a service is imposable to tell its ever been fitted so no upset warranties down the track.
Although the tuning is probably unlikely to cause issues, in the event of a serious engine problem, if the dealer / manufacturer suspects the engine has been modified they can and most likely will check for tampering and they can detect it even if the tune or chip has been removed. As I said unlikely to happen but can be detected
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2012, 07:20 PM   #8
Mickmelb

A tune or reflash like a BlueFin can be traced probably not by your average Ford dealer but if they sent the ECU back to H/O and forensically go through the programming. The race chip on the other hand isn't a tune as such it plugs into the fuel rail sensor and intercepts and modifies the signals going back to the ECU so once removed there's nothing to trace.
Mickmelb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2012, 08:20 PM   #9
G6E Turbo 2

Are there dealers around I can talk to about doing this, Sydney
G6E Turbo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2012, 11:12 PM   #10
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Nice ride executer

I think I can safely say that I've got one, if not the most modified diesel Focus' around. For a non-sportscar it sure does tune well, if the newer ones are just a tuned version of the old ones they should go pretty hard as well. However the more sensors and whatnot they add makes them harder to modify without problems.

With bluefin you can swap the tune back to standard whenever you get it serviced, and the flasher also doubles as a diagnostic reader which can remove fault codes.

Damo you probably can't hear any whistle in 1st and 2nd because the engine noise overrides it, there definitely is no torque limiter in my car or any XR5s either.

Take some photos of your stock air intake if you can, I'd be interested to see if they've improved it.

2007 LT Focus TDCi S
Bluefin Remap - K&N Apollo CAI - 2.5" Turbo-back Straight Pipe - 24mm Rear Sway bar - LT Zetec Bodykit - Black Projector Head Lights - LED Tail lights - DMB Overlays - Alloy Pedals - Scuff Plates - Sports Gear Knob - LV XR5 Springs - LV XR5 Wheels - Pirelli P-Zero Nero
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2012, 04:50 PM   #11
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodiesel
Damo you probably can't hear any whistle in 1st and 2nd because the engine noise overrides it, there definitely is no torque limiter in my car or any XR5s either.
1st and 2nd gear don't push you back in your seat anywhere near as much as 3rd does I find, even with half throttle.
Old 27-04-2012, 05:48 PM   #12
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Other ford forums say the ECU program limits the power you get in the lower gears. Dont know how it knows which gear you are in in a manual car.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2012, 07:17 PM   #13
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is a torque limiter set within the ECU, flash tuning removes this.

It is expecially noticable in XR5's, mine was like night and day.
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2012, 03:31 PM   #14
Executer

Sounds like some headers and exhaust and a good tune would do the job on this ride. Goes great for stock but always hreat to have extra ponies. Anyone know of a good cai or pod filter set up gor these? That race chip price is pretty goof. Cheers
Old 04-08-2012, 04:22 PM   #15
Executer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Hey buddy, welcome to the forum and welcome to the diesel club

I've got a diesel TDCI Focus, though an LV, but I'm fairly sure its the same engine.

The issue we're going to have with the exhaust is it has a diesel particulate filter, and if you replace the cat, its going to bring up the engine light on the cluster.

I've got a cold air intake on mine, going to do the intercooler as well, and a turbo back exhaust down the track, but I'll probably keep the DPF/factory cat then get it tuned and get that damn torque limiter removed. At the moment the CAI has done nothing, except it has really loud induction noise now haha.

The last issue we'll have is that we're limited by sensors going out of range once you start trying to fiddle and that the injectors don't flow much more than factory and you can't get aftermarket replacements.

Im interested in what air intake set up youve got. I cant really seem to find any available apart from going with a k&n filter. Cheers
Old 04-08-2012, 07:39 PM   #16
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Im interested in what air intake set up youve got. I cant really seem to find any available apart from going with a k&n filter. Cheers
http://www.european-parts.net/catalo...roducts_id/790

Its that one, but it doesn't exactly fit real well on our cars, some things dont match up like brackets.

I had to dodgy up the brackets, and half of it is held on with cable ties.

You also have to be careful as its only really held together by hose clamps, which tend to come loose over time, I had the filter and cover drop off and wedge themselves between the gearbox and front of the car.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:56 PM   #17
Executer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
http://www.european-parts.net/catalo...roducts_id/790

Its that one, but it doesn't exactly fit real well on our cars, some things dont match up like brackets.

I had to dodgy up the brackets, and half of it is held on with cable ties.

You also have to be careful as its only really held together by hose clamps, which tend to come loose over time, I had the filter and cover drop off and wedge themselves between the gearbox and front of the car.

Cheers mate. Did you remove the factory air box or just install it inside the airbox? I'm wondering how well this will go with my warranty. Im considering just replacing the stock filter with a k&n.

I love the prompt replies and help by people on this forum. It's awesome.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:07 PM   #18
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Cheers mate. Did you remove the factory air box or just install it inside the airbox? I'm wondering how well this will go with my warranty. Im considering just replacing the stock filter with a k&n.

I love the prompt replies and help by people on this forum. It's awesome.

Factory airbox is removed completely:

The Focus section is off the hook these days, its the new cool place
Old 26-08-2012, 08:51 PM   #19
Executer

Did you notice much difference after replacing the filter mate?
Old 26-08-2012, 08:52 PM   #20
Executer

Even if its 2 kw's or makes a healthier car, I'll get one myself.
Old 26-08-2012, 09:12 PM   #21
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Didn't see the reply, oops sorry about that.

I can't seem to notice much difference, it just extremely loud induction noise when the turbo starts spooling.

I think because diesel engines already run a lot more air than fuel standard, it won't make a difference on its own, maybe after the car is tuned it will come into play when we get more fuel into it to match the more air, I'm not sure.

Turbodiesel here on the forum also had one of these intakes on his car, not sure if he noticed any difference?
Old 26-08-2012, 10:23 PM   #22
Executer

Sounds good. Im thinking a blow off valve will go down nicely too, I imagine its pretty straight forward to change? Cheers
Old 26-08-2012, 11:37 PM   #23
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Sounds good. Im thinking a blow off valve will go down nicely too, I imagine its pretty straight forward to change? Cheers
It was a bit of a pain in the *** for me as I think they were designed for the previous model TDCI so there was a lot of butchering involved for me, I had to butcher the bracket they supplied and dodgy things up with cable ties to keep it in place.

You'll notice compared to Turbodiesel's picture of his intake, his sits higher up in the engine bay than mine, it sits more behind the front headlight assembly and on an angle where mine is facing downwards and lower in the engine bay.

I'm not too sure how blow off valves work but do they rely on the throttle valve plate inside a throttle body for a pressure difference? Because diesel engines don't have throttle bodies.