Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 10-04-2012, 09:27 PM   #1
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default anyone here muck about with old clocks

I do, love it, ......great pastime.....none of your modern rubbish and nothing too complex

ansonia or old english triple chimes are my speed......I'd love to get hold of an old grandfather but alas, the minister for all things joyful says no

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2012, 09:32 PM   #2
Kryton

Default Re: anyone here muck about with old clocks

Would be good to be able to find a clock that actually keeps accurate time.
We have 5 clocks in the house, all set exactly to the computer and before long, theres a 5-10 minute time warp between rooms.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2012, 09:36 PM   #3
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Just misread the title of this thread, found me glasses though - see ya!

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2012, 09:44 PM   #4
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

clocks !!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2012, 09:44 PM   #5
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

I was staying at he Manor House Hotel in Castle Combe, Wiltshire, England last month. Working over there. Anyway, in the Hotel grounds is this church with this in it. Enjoy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Combe_Clock
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2012, 09:48 PM   #6
hendrixhc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bought a cheap **** mechanical grandfather clock about 7 years back and it died 3 weeks after i bought it. Stripped all the gears and springs out and modified the winder springs and bells and worked a treat up til this year. My stupid wife wound the chime key to tight and snapped the spring. End of clock. :-(
1982 XE Falcon
1978 XCGS Falcon
1993 XG Ute
2015 FGX XR8
hendrixhc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2012, 09:50 PM   #7
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout
Just misread the title of this thread, found me glasses though - see ya!
Glad I wasn't the only one who thought the thread was about....

Back on topic, never really played around with them but I do love the design and architecture of old grandfather clocks, some of them are amazing!
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2012, 10:46 PM   #8
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Glad I wasn't the only one who thought the thread was about....

Back on topic, never really played around with them but I do love the design and architecture of old grandfather clocks, some of them are amazing!

Funnily, I thought it said Chooks! lol

Oh Blue one, I am keen on antique Fob Watches. I have about 14, the most valuable a key wound Waltham in Sterling Silver, haul marked from 1884.
I saw it in a Antique Magazine about 25 years ago, valued at 15,000 pounds. Today, who knows??
Brought it for $55 in parts, fixed it and put it back together. Hardest part was the spring was broken, and I had to drill through it. it was only about 2mm wide and I needed 2, 1mm holes, about 2 mm apart. took me about 5 goes. Fiddly as, never again I said. Fixed about 6 since, and every time I swear never again! lol
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2012, 11:12 PM   #9
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNM96
Funnily, I thought it said Chooks! lol
Well actually, its a rooster, or "****". I thought posting a picture of the other kind would get me banned!

Edit - as if that word is in the swear filter, what if we are having a serious discussion on roosters, its a valid term for them!
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2012, 11:21 AM   #10
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ah!.....why am I not surprised!

antique fob watches.....very collectable as are the french mantle

way too fiddly for me....I love the larger ones...the ansonia was given to me by an antiques dealer who said it was beyond repair

that was a challenge,.....it is of course in the gingerbread style but a little known one,.....I managed to find 99% of the ansonia clock designs but not this one

took me 3 months to track down a photograph of it from the interweb then a further 3 months to rebuild the outer case from downloaded pictures then upscaling on the printer

the workings I dismantled then rebuilt from scratch

a very good pastime

I ended up gaining 12 clocks at one stage and as we all know they must be kept running.....the minister for enjoyment cast her spell and all but two disappeared

my antique cuckoo clock and my first Ansonia.......I now have orders not to purchase any more

I do have 3 triple chimes in the shed awaiting rebuild that she doesn't know about

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 11-04-2012, 11:23 AM   #11
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG66ME
I was staying at he Manor House Hotel in Castle Combe, Wiltshire, England last month. Working over there. Anyway, in the Hotel grounds is this church with this in it. Enjoy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Combe_Clock
beautiful.....thanks for sharing

Old 11-04-2012, 11:32 AM   #12
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Mum has an old Ansonia mantle clock (1889 I think) but it doesnt get used because it is too rowdy, especially when the gong starts going off.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2012, 11:54 AM   #13
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Mum has an old Ansonia mantle clock (1889 I think) but it doesnt get used because it is too rowdy, especially when the gong starts going off.
can you put it somewhere that it can be ran.....they need to be kept going to keep in good condition

Old 11-04-2012, 06:00 PM   #14
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a French carriage clock. It was hand made in the early 1980's and has the maker's name (Andre') engraved on the back plate. Chimes every half hour. Members of the Horological Guild valued it 15 years ago at $5k.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2012, 06:40 PM   #15
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

when i was a young wipper snapper i had a thing for the internal workings of clocks, many a time i had various alarm clocks from my mums and relo`s in many many piece`s,
of course they always went back together, but sometimes i had spares left over .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2012, 06:41 PM   #16
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Paul Keating has a large collection of french provincial carriage clocks, very extensive by all accounts

He was quoted as once saying "the best way to see Australia is at 30,000 feet on the way to France"

another reason i hate politicians