Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-04-2012, 02:48 PM   #1
NC_Steve
She needs premium dude...

Default Welding - Metal fume fever

I have been researching the safety of welding galvanized steel and all formal references I have found state that the effects of metal fume fever only last a few days, however I have also found informal references (forums) that state you will carry the zinc oxide and other metals from welding around in your body/lungs for the rest of your life. So I am wondering do the formal references have an agenda or is welding safe with no long term health affects?

NC_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2012, 06:09 PM   #2
Rambunctious

Default Re: Welding - Metal fume fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Steve
I have been researching the safety of welding galvanized steel and all formal references I have found state that the effects of metal fume fever only last a few days, however I have also found informal references (forums) that state you will carry the zinc oxide and other metals from welding around in your body/lungs for the rest of your life. So I am wondering do the formal references have an agenda or is welding safe with no long term health affects?
Back in the late 60s I did a lot of galvanised welding and we would drink a pint of milk, full cream in those days, first up in the morning, to put a lining on the stomach.
Don't know about the lungs but I am now 63 and suffer from industrial asthma probably from all the dust in the Building Industry but possibly from the welding.
I also did a lot of phoscopper oxy soldering of copper pipes and let's be realistic, anything toxic inhaled is not good for you.
Rambunctious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2012, 06:54 PM   #3
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

been welding and working with steel for years.....industrial asthma is a good description

not good for you!

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2012, 07:53 PM   #4
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

I've always wondered about the grinding materials / debris from using grinders too.
Not only do you get the dust from the wheels or discs, but you also get whatever it is that you're grinding away as well.

If that object or material is covered in nasties, then look out.
I always try to use a face mask for continuous jobs, the little ones I've never worried about, and taken care to have good ventilation.

It's bloody hard to educate the younger tradesmen or apprentices about this though, they're 10 foot tall and bullet proof!

Ed
Old 05-04-2012, 10:03 PM   #5
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Hmm This worries me !!!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2012, 10:08 PM   #6
Pub247
Resident F1 Troll

lucky i dotn have much to do with galv but i cop my fair share of fumes being a welder. powdercoating and anodised smell and taste nasty with proper ventilation setups you could avoid most fumes.... but seriously wearing a respirator all day along with everything else would drive me nuts
Pub247 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2012, 12:52 AM   #7
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bad bad stuff to weld in an enclosed space , I got crook for weeks after doing it and my brother was put into hospital once due to the fumes ,
dunno about long term effects but who knows ?,
If you have to weld the crap at least have a damn big fan circulating air...
Old 06-04-2012, 09:01 AM   #8
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf
been welding and working with steel for years.....industrial asthma is a good description

not good for you!
That's what I call the long term effects

The gal one I call the gal flu if you cop it you will know what i mean I have done many a days welding gal and every time a few hours later I feel like I have the flu

One you need to be really careful is stainless with the pickling agent ( think that's what it is called been out of the trade a few years now ) the fumes from that will knock you out if you don't take care

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2012, 11:38 AM   #9
Pub247
Resident F1 Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason[98.EL]

The gal one I call the gal flu if you cop it you will know what i mean I have done many a days welding gal and every time a few hours later I feel like I have the flu

One you need to be really careful is stainless with the pickling agent ( think that's what it is called been out of the trade a few years now ) the fumes from that will knock you out if you don't take care

Jason
Thats because pickling paste is hydrofluoric and nitric acid... personally pickling isnt necessary on every job and there are other ways these days to acheive the same finish
Old 06-04-2012, 11:46 AM   #10
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason[98.EL]

Jason
yep!.....I have spent a lot of years building "pool fencing" in between my main business......you know the type, spear and arch or simply arch, all Gal then I send it to a mate who powder coats

I also repair a lot of "stuff"....hard face and rebuild as well steel dust from sharpening

no ventilation in my workshop and I am bent straight over the jig and machinery for hours.....

I have something that is very similar to lung disease, a lot of mucus, it is not life threatening ATM but I am still only a young 55 so I guess this is what will eventually kill me

rusty steel gives off a lot of fume as well which will leave a horrible taste in your mouth, cant be good for the lungs, stainless is bad

not many ways to avoid the fume unless one wears a respirator......been there, done that.....dont want to do it again

large extraction fan would be good I think or even a large "normal" shed fan blowing at a tangent to the weld fume would be better than nothing

word of advice to the youngsters.....look after your eyes and lungs......

you only get one set and a stray red hot chip of slag or a lump of steel in the eye doesn't do your vision any good.....if in doubt just ask me!

wear your safety glasses when chipping the slag and try not to breathe the fume!......easy said but not easily done but at least try!!!

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 06-04-2012, 12:28 PM   #11
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

welding galv sucks.. if you dont have proper extraction try and keep 'your head out of the smoke'.. use fans vent place out...
once fluxs, paint, coatings start getting fried off it gets all mc yuck....
some flux cored stainless and other consumables are really cool carcinogens....
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2012, 08:17 PM   #12
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Hasn't effected me MUCH ??? Lol...
Daily driver GTE FG..
Old 06-04-2012, 08:43 PM   #13
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^ hah! love it!

Old 06-04-2012, 11:51 PM   #14
XR227

Been Welding Gal + Zinc on and off for years, It ain't good for you.
Drinking milk is one thing you can do as previously stated.

We have adjustable mobile floor fans at work that we just pick up and put in
front of the job your welding, and have them facing away from your job so
the smoke is sucked in the back of the fan and blows out the front. Works extremely well on the high speed fan setting.

We did some extensions on a salt water barge last year that had extremely
toxic paint on it, So the boss had to buy fully enclosed welding helmets. They
have a back pack with a fan and filters.
They ain't cheap either, well over a grand each.

But generally we use the floor fan to suck the smoke away from you, Don't
forget to point it towards some one you don't like.
XR227 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2012, 04:55 PM   #15
efi65

stainless has to be one of the worst ones too weld, can bring on heart pulpations, can make you sterile and limp, bad shakes,dizzyness.. ally seems much of the same.
efi65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2012, 05:19 PM   #16
loosey

As an apprentice I used to tig galv (sand the galv off then weld) even these days we get the odd galv job and a few zinc tool boxes. I've never gotten sick from welding it, not sure if it's because i drink lots of milk or not.. I do have a blow over type respirator but I only really use it when I'm migging ally. I find the fan facing the opposite direction (as mentioned above) works the is most convenient and works well.
loosey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2012, 06:35 PM   #17
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry but nothing "puts a lining in your stomach"...you drink milk or whatever, and it's immediately diluted, digested, and passed on by the hydrochloric acid and digestive processes in the stomach just like anything else you drink, faster than food because it's only a liquid. There's not a lot you can do except wear a face mask of some kind.

Another danger is spray paint, especially if it has toluene in it like two pack and a lot of model paints. I've heard of quite young guys getting chest pains and heart muscle damage from too much of that stuff, and it's cumulative as well.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2012, 06:54 PM   #18
nstg8a

ive got 'industrial' asthma, from working first in a brass and alloy foundry, then 3-4 years in a fettling shop doing a lot of grinding and welding on train components.
i gave it up when i was going through a ventolin inhaler in two days, and hospitalised 6 times in a month.
since getting out ive never been in that industry again, and i havent any more than a slight wheeze after exercise.

while at the brass foundy we were given as much milk as we could drink, to help ward of the ill effects of breathing in the nasties.

dont know if it works or not, i was drinking 4-5 pints a shift lol. saved buying smoko.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2012, 06:56 PM   #19
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosey
As an apprentice I used to tig galv (sand the galv off then weld) even these days we get the odd galv job and a few zinc tool boxes. I've never gotten sick from welding it, not sure if it's because i drink lots of milk or not.. I do have a blow over type respirator but I only really use it when I'm migging ally. I find the fan facing the opposite direction (as mentioned above) works the is most convenient and works well.

nah! mate, it's not the stomach that is the problem in later years.....it's your lungs

drink as much milk as you like......it wont help you!

take the advice from those that have gone before you and protect yourself now!

Old 07-04-2012, 07:16 PM   #20
loosey

I don't drink milk to line my stomach, i drink it to gain/ maintain my weight.

We've got exhaust fans and plenty of ventilation at work. I only usually do a couple of hours welding a week so probably not as exposed as many of you. Ally is the one to watch out for.
loosey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2012, 07:31 PM   #21
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Yeah I,ve seen guys spewing up they guts because of gal piosoning. Some how I don,t think a pint of milk is going to stop the toxians from going through your veins, drinking milk is a wife tale. I,m a boilermaker/welder and aviod gal jobs at all costs, it is are the pits of the trade, theres no doult about it.

A fan may not be engouh in a workshop. You need to get the poisonous fumes outside the building. A negative presure (sucktion fan system) exhaust fan that is vented to the outside is the workshop, is the proper gear. If you don,t have this gear the boss doesn,t give a ****** about you.

Workshop air quality is a hot subject in a fabrication shop anyway , because if it was monitored you would see a lot a workshops with below the standard. And that would just open up the biggest can of worms. Some of the places that i,ve worked and the very shonky practices is amazing. And some workcover officers should be ashamed.

Don,t know what some are saying about tig stainless and fumes ,cause it makes no fumes.
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2012, 09:43 PM   #22
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Been using TIG alot lattly..
Now I find thoriated electrodes are radio active !!
Daily driver GTE FG..
Old 08-04-2012, 09:54 PM   #23
Pub247
Resident F1 Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
Been using TIG alot lattly..
Now I find thoriated electrodes are radio active !!
Haha didnt you know? as long as you don't overheat them or breathe in dust when sharpening you should be right but judging by your earlier picture radiation already got to you.

Have to agree about tigging stainless never had an issue no fumes no toxins as long as you keep everythign clean. Same with alloy i tig alloy everyday usually and never have an issue. Worst i get is feeling tired maybe a bit weak which i put down to the argon when hot and stuffy.

I think smokign doesnt help though but ill blame welding for any lung problems i develop
Old 08-04-2012, 10:18 PM   #24
Cheese3
The BEST Falcon is the AU

My old man is a boiler maker and he swears by Milk and as a fitter myself I do the odd gal welding jobs, my first gal job as a apprentice I got sick as a dog as I didnt know of gal poisoning in 1st year. I drink alot of milk before and after now. If its an old wifes tale or not or placebo effect, who knows. But I haven't been sick since but I also protect myself alot better since my first experiance with gal welding.

But what ever job you do, prevention and safety is the best way to protect yourself. It doesn't just apply to gal welding
Cheese3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post