Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 19-11-2005, 02:32 PM   #1
trick_xd
I build your wish list...

Default E-bay price bumps

: so i have been bidding on a few things on e-bay and becouse they come from China i wanted to have a look and see what there tradeing rep was like so in the last 3 weeks i have been looking and tracking the items and i have found that there is 3 -4 buyers that seem to be buying the items but there buying record dose not go up and there is no feed back from the seller
It seems as though if the bidding dose not get to close to the "buy now" price then there is a auto bid and 1 of these 3 - 4 buyers get it and if not at least they have pushed the price up for the REAL person wanting to buy the item

I wonder how many times this happens.

so i thought i would be a Pr1k and i sent a email off to e-bay to tell them and i gave them there IDs and the item numbers :thebirds: i have heard back from them one time and just waiting for there reply to my last e-mail

haha some of there items have been taken off listings all ready
they should have just sold me what i wanted the first time then i would not have to bid on 6 more times and find that the same IDs won all them times

well : now

Cheers

trick_xd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2005, 02:45 PM   #2
XLS99 Ute man
Who Loves Mountain Women

you lost me in the second line

XLS Falcon Ute
Full Sick 2.5 Inch -> To Double 3 Inch Tips Exhaust Sports System
18 Inch Bling Bling Rims
Altezza Tail Bling Bling Lights
Kenwood Head Deck + Amps + Bling Bling Sub
Bright Orange BLING BLING Fordforums.com Sticker

OOoooohh Yeah! Bling Bling
XLS99 Ute man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2005, 02:59 PM   #3
trick_xd

lol
just things like lcd screens in the back rests for the kids to watch movies when we are traveling and gps screen just that type of thing
Old 19-11-2005, 03:00 PM   #4
Josh_XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i know a load of people that do that, i have no problem with it i reckon, if a person wants to sell his on ebay and get a good price, get a buddy to put the price up a bid. Nothing wrong with that.
Josh_XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2005, 03:27 PM   #5
Psycho Chicken
Banned

If someone is willing to pay, what can you do? You can hardly complain that they knocked the price up, no one was holding a gun to your head making you buy it at that price.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2005, 03:32 PM   #6
LUXO_8
windsor user

you're probably one of those people that bid on things with days to go yes????
do what i do and only bid in the LAST 5 MINUTES - LESS IF POSSIBLE.

and within the last 20 secs, if you REALLY want the item put in a high final bid.....

ie..
say the item ( for instance a pair of V8 heads) is currently at $700....last day...
within the last 5 minutes id bid, say $716 (a wierd number so if someone decides to bid $715 they still be outbid by my $716:P).

then, in the last 20 secs, bid the highest max you'll go....ie a grand.....but dont bid a straight grand
bid like $1004.55c...

people that bid in the last 20 secs of an auction dont usually do this, and usually loose to me in an auction ive noticed.

you have to play it smart when bidding..
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2005, 03:33 PM   #7
Psycho Chicken
Banned

That's exactly how I do it. I just wish people would stop having stuff finishing at 3am though, it really stuffs the next day at work up.
Old 19-11-2005, 03:35 PM   #8
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
That's exactly how I do it. I just wish people would stop having stuff finishing at 3am though, it really stuffs the next day at work up.
haha yeah or having them end during the day when im at work and dont have access to a pc!
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2005, 03:38 PM   #9
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Speaking of which, is there a certain day of the week people tend to buy more? I try to get them to finish either Thursday night or Sunday evening, figuring people have just got paid on Thursdays and are more likely to think 'why the hell not' and Sunday arvos are usually pretty slow so you'd get a few more people on the net.
Old 19-11-2005, 07:02 PM   #10
max^power
Formerly au^ute

if it's not good value including delivery (alot of people do not factor this in) then why bother? you're much better off bargaining with your local shop, after all there's so many scammers on ebay now, is it worth risking it to save $x? Ratings dont really mean the person is genuine.

theres plenty of people making big money on ebay - not just selling left overs in the shed - too many people bidding on things without researching them first. In a way, price bumping is ebays fault for taking away the reserve.
max^power is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2005, 11:06 PM   #11
CarBroker
Banned

Last 5 seconds or so is the best time to bid:
http://www.auctionsniper.com/

I really don't understand why ebay doesn't do what grays online does: Wait for 10 clear (i.e. no bids) minutes before an auction ends. Doesn't that make more sense?
CarBroker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2005, 11:22 PM   #12
trick_xd

some of the stuff is going for the 200 mark but only to these same 4 - 5 IDs then shipping and customs on top of it
i lay out a first bid maybe 100 or so at 10hrs left then pump a odd number in there like 197.50 i do that in the last 10 min of bidding and in the last min or so ill jump to the 250 - 257 mark there will be a bid from 1 of these IDs that i think is just the seller and pump it to 250 some times if some one else is bidding high then it will go to the 300 mark there "buy now" price is 315

I got a email back from E-Bay saying that they are looking into it and that i was right and what they are doing is called " Shill Bidding " it seems as though the seller can get in a heap of trouble for it
trick_xd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2005, 12:12 PM   #13
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
If someone is willing to pay, what can you do? You can hardly complain that they knocked the price up, no one was holding a gun to your head making you buy it at that price.
Just the sort of thing they made illegal in the real estate industry. It would be good to know you are bidding against a real bidder at a fair auction. And as for the willing to pay bit,why does the seller put it on e-bay if he wont sell at the price of fair bidders, if he wants a certain price for it then he should have a reserve on it or a buy it now price.
Old 20-11-2005, 06:10 PM   #14
Psycho Chicken
Banned

But you can only put a reserve on certain items. Cars and a few other things I believe.
Old 20-11-2005, 11:19 PM   #15
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My point stands, if you dont want to sell at a fair bidders price then dont try to scam people into buying unfairly. Thats why there are rules and if and when Ebay find out will probably do something about it.
Old 20-11-2005, 11:30 PM   #16
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

eBay was fun once.

All i can say is, bid what you want and are willing to pay then forget it. If you win then great, if you lose.. not so bad cos you didn't want to pay that much anyway.
Old 21-11-2005, 08:14 PM   #17
PSI250
Gassed Up!

its funny watching people bid stupid amounts on stuff they can get way cheaper if they just get out of the house and go down the street,
I saw a DVD box set go for $43 plus postage and i've seen it at Kmart for $29
Ah well when will people learn; ebay doesn't automatically mean its cheaper!!
PSI250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2005, 10:51 PM   #18
Falchoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSI250
its funny watching people bid stupid amounts on stuff they can get way cheaper if they just get out of the house and go down the street,
I saw a DVD box set go for $43 plus postage and i've seen it at Kmart for $29
Ah well when will people learn; ebay doesn't automatically mean its cheaper!!
Yes but the bidder may live in West Woop Woop and be a shift worker meaning he/she can't get to K-mart so they choose to buy through eBay instead for convenience.
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2005, 10:11 AM   #19
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JADED6
All i can say is, bid what you want and are willing to pay then forget it. If you win then great, if you lose.. not so bad cos you didn't want to pay that much anyway.
Yep that's the way I go about it as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2005, 10:27 AM   #20
big_waity
Windsor Man!

It is illegal for these people to do this. It is called Shill bidding. If they don't want their item to sell that low, they should list at the price they are willing to sell it for. It is annoying when you bid on something and find that the person selling has another account that they are bidding with. I do agree with the comment that noone is forcing you to bid. I was selling something on Ebay once and a guy bid a massive amount for it then complained that I was ripping him off. I was only asking $1 but it when for 60.
Old 23-11-2005, 09:49 AM   #21
jonk

They should BAN Chinese sellers, especially the one's in Hong Kong. Had more trouble with this type than any others.

And yeah, watch out for the delivery/handling charges, that's where the money can be made on cheap items.
jonk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2005, 02:20 PM   #22
asian_warrior01

i was watching a gearbox had 12hrs left no offers for $600 i offered him $500 so i could us the other 100 to pay for shipping he chewed my head off and spat it out he was expecting $1400, then after i got his a reply someone bid on it then i bid on it cause i thought it was worth $1200 (it had kevlar bands and cluthes, taxi o'rings and a jmm stallie) anyways i bid up to thew 1200 and no further it was the same guy everytime so i checked out his history he bought 10 itmes off this seller and all ten times it the feed back said mutral agreement, but funny thing was this when he ended up wining he forgot to change his ID as he sent me an email from his second account (the one he used to bid against me) wondering if i was still interested in the tranny as the buyer feel through i ****ed my self laughing and then told him were he could stick the tranny and he just got busted.
asian_warrior01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post