Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 23-11-2005, 12:18 AM   #1
FASTXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Windows XP query

I bought an Asus laptop 18 months ago with Windows XP Pro installed. Anyhoo, the IT guys at my new job are having problems connecting me to the network, and so they want to basically re-format the machine.

My problem is that I'm buggered if I can find the Windows XP disk - in fact, I could almost swear that it didn't come with one. Is this possible? The machine came with an OEM version installed
I have been able to find two Asus "recovery disks" - are these essentially the same thing?

Any help appreciated

FASTXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2005, 12:21 AM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

Ok im VERY limited in knowledge about this sorta thing but the recovery disk is more for hardware related issues. If you need to reinstall Windows XP you need to find the Windows CD or dare I mention it "borrow" a copy from somewhere.

I cant see what reformatting is going to do to get you connected though?
Old 23-11-2005, 12:23 AM   #3
GT-E

Look for the OEM M$ serial number sticker on the notebook. If there is no sticker then it is not a legal copy.
I would suggest you buy one as they require online rego and pirating M$ software is not a good idea as big bill is watching you.
GT-E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2005, 12:27 AM   #4
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTXR
Is this possible? The machine came with an OEM version installed
I have been able to find two Asus "recovery disks" - are these essentially the same thing?

Any help appreciated
You will probably find all operating systems including XP are on your recovery disks, they should give you the option to install varying parts but in general will restore the lap top back to what you had when you picked it up.

there should be some instructions with the restore disk to guide you and back up any email addresses / emails or private info to a disk or thumb first.

cheers
Pete
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2005, 12:33 AM   #5
Venomous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey, yea ive noticed this when ive gotten computers in the past, they come with it installed and a product key sticker but no cd. I suggest you try to obtain one and yea.
Venomous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2005, 12:36 AM   #6
melon466
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the recovery disk will do the job, all laptops with windows pre installed come with an oem recovery disk, it's all packaged on the one disk with all the drivers you need aswell.
melon466 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2005, 12:46 AM   #7
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

The Recovery Disk will burn an image to your hard drive, which is the XP install. When it's finished you just fill in your personal details. It won't let you partition your drives at all.

I was peeved because I bought my laptop with XP Pro, and only got Recovery Disks with it, but (after a bit of research) I was able to make my own install disk from it. The important part is the serial number!
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2005, 11:14 AM   #8
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The corporate edition only needs a key - doesn't have the second stage registration/authentication. You can figure out the rest ;)
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2005, 11:18 AM   #9
GT-E

If there is no OEM sticker then the computer does not have a valid XP license.
If you put a corporate version on the notebook then the company needs to ensure there is a license
GT-E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2005, 11:23 AM   #10
big_waity
Windsor Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by melon466
the recovery disk will do the job, all laptops with windows pre installed come with an oem recovery disk, it's all packaged on the one disk with all the drivers you need aswell.
Correction, Most laptops come with windows on the laptop. Most of what people have said thus far is correct. As a (bit of a) tech, I regularly deal with this sort of issue. If you have a sticker on the bottom of the laptop with the product key, you are right. You obviously know that it is OEM XP Pro, so, you just need another OEM XP Pro cd. Doens't have to be your cd, just your product key. The key is the important bit. But, as melon said, Windows will probably be on the recovery disk, unless it's like the one on my desk at the moment.
Old 23-11-2005, 11:47 AM   #11
Stealth00

Asus laptop's always have the XP Pro OEM sticker underneath, recovery cd's include windows and drivers.
Stealth00 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2005, 12:41 PM   #12
FASTXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well the funny thing is that my COA sticker doesn't mention OEM on it (just says Windows XO Professional 1-2CPU ASUS), and the product key is a 25-digit code. However, when I go into Control Panel/System, the serial number has "OEM" as digits 6-8. Are the product key and serial number 2 different things?

Anyhow, Asus tell me that the recovery disks have everything I need on them, and that I just need them plus another disk of Asus driver (hope I can find that one!).

Can anyone tell me why you get the Windows disk with a desktop PC but apparently not with a laptop?
Old 23-11-2005, 12:52 PM   #13
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

The recovery disks are what you need, but be warned.....running these will take it back to default configuration, as per the day you bought it.

The product key produces a product number within windows. They are related, but different.
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Quasi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2005, 01:54 PM   #14
FASTXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasi
The recovery disks are what you need, but be warned.....running these will take it back to default configuration, as per the day you bought it.
Yep no probs - I've already backed up all my personal docs and files. If nothing else, at least it'll clear some of the crap off the machine!

Thanks everyone for your help