Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #1
Phildo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent work on the BF Brake information. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Photo Essay - Centre Console Disassembly 
Default The Assassination Murder Of Taxi 817

Last week the car had to go through it's annual Department of Transport inspection. I wanted to make sure that the car would pass on the first attempt so made some phone calls and ended up talking to a guy call Phil (same name as me), who oversees modification permits for the DOT (and therefore is the expert on what is and is not legal).

I took my laptop to him with photos of the braking system on this car. His first concern was the legality of the brake calipers - they would have to be tested and certified by an suitably qualified automotive engineer. However, when I explained that these are are same callipers that are used by Ford on FPV Falcons then that meant that these calipers could be classified as a "manufacturer option", meaning that Ford/FPV had already had them certified.

The problem that Phil had was the mounting of the rear brake lines. The braided lines that I bought from Goodridge last year are too long, so have been securely zip-tied to the top of the leaf spring on each side. It doesn't look particularly good, but 52,000km later there has not been a single problem and it has proven to be safe. The response from Phil was that he wasn't particularly pleased about having brake lines mounted to the leaf springs but if I had any trouble at the inspection then to get the examiner to give him a call.

ie:

Sure enough, the brake lines were an issue at the examination. I got a guy who was determined to fail the car for whatever he could. I asked him to call Phil, but he refused to do so.

So, the next day I was back to see Phil at his office. Now that the car had been failed by someone, his attitude was entirely different. What was acceptable a few days earlier was now completely unacceptable. Welcome to government departments.

So, on Thursday night I resigned myself to pulling all the Brembo and associated stuff off the car and putting standard stuff back on. A phone call to CompFriction (where I got the brake lines from) got a good amount of interest from Dave, who was more than happy to make some shorter lines once I explained how much trouble these ones had now caused. But they wouldn't arrive in Perth in time.

I managed to find a last minute cancellation and got the car passed on Friday morning. The registration expired on Sunday, so there was considerable pressure to get it cleared on Friday. What should have been a simple process was made stupidly difficult - I'll be keeping away from that particular inspection centre in future.

So, back to normal life. After having this top-of-the-range brake setup for months I was now pretty disgusted about having standard stuff back on the car, even if it was only going to be for a few days. Oh, I was miffed.

Luckily, I had kept all the original stuff boxed up in the shed. Not being in an overwhelmingly good mood at the time, I wasn't fussed about how much mess I made with brake fluid (everything got degreased and cleaned when I finished though).

Why is all this stuff relevant? The plot thickens...

Because….

Oh crap.

An 18 year old P-plater drove through a stop sign. My day driver had actually finished for the day and was on his way back to my place, when this guy came through an intersection at normal speed. I got woken up by a phone call shortly after 1pm from the supervisor at the taxi call centre, resulting in me staggering out of bed and muttering all sorts of colourful language before making my way to the crash scene.

I figured this was fairly cosmetic. Irritating, but at least I'd get a new front bumper out of it and I'd get some other panel work done while the car was getting repaired. Then the tow truck driver said that the car would be a write-off, which definitely got my attention. The whole front of the car has been pushed to one side, meaning bent chassis rails. Oh. Good. I've kept this car insured at the higher end of its value range, meaning that I can just about replace the car for what it is insured for. I'm rather ****ed off that I spent $1,320 on a new diff that week and fitted new front wheel bearing hubs and new tyres, but the gearbox is on its last legs and will need replacing soon (ie $2,3000 for a good reconditioned one with stronger AU gearbox parts).

When the assessor had a look at it on Wednesday he said it was a line-ball decision between getting it repaired and writing it off. I acknowledged that it was his decision but would very, very, very much prefer a write-off. By Friday afternoon I hadn't heard back, so called him again. He said that it will most likely be a write-off. This means that I can go shopping for a replacement car. A fun task, but tricky because of time constraints - I need something immediately. I've come to like the silver colour - it looks good (especially with the chrome wheels) and it hides dirt quite well, so I'm after the same car again - silver, dedicated LPG Falcon wagon (either BFII or III). There are a few options at auction places in various eastern cities, so I'll probably end up buying one and having it put on a truck and brought to Perth. Flying over and driving one on a road trip across the Nullabor is extremely tempting, but more expensive (ie loss of income). I've managed to lease another taxi full-time for two weeks to keep my day driver and myself employed for now.

Things got really interesting yesterday (Friday afternoon) when I rang the assessor. He asked if I wanted to keep the wreck, so I asked how much for. The price he gave me seemed a little high, so he mentioned the nice chrome wheels and new tyres. I had spoken with someone at the insurance company last year about the extra stuff that I had put on the car (ie wheels, Brembo brakes, mobile phone kit, radar detector and a few other things) and was told that if the car was ever in a crash and became a total loss (ie write-off) then I would be able to put the original stuff back on the car and keep the extra stuff. The assessor was now saying that was not true, and that anything on the car right now stays there. A very heated discussed resulted. I rang the insurance company and it turns that that is true - anything on the car stays with it. The girl that advised me otherwise last year was a trainee and was incorrect. It's been referred to someone higher up and will be decided next week, which left me in a very ****ed off mood all through Friday night. This could get interesting.

Talk about a fluke. I spent Thursday night removing Brembo calipers, brake disc rotors and brake lines. If the stuff was still on the car when it was crashed on Sunday then I'd be in one hell of a fight with the assessor and insurance company about ownership of this stuff.

Read about it all at Cabloid, the web site that has stories and photos about my life driving a taxi at night.
www.cabloid.com.au
Phildo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2012, 06:16 PM   #2
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: The Assassination Murder Of Taxi 817

if you have all that other stuff from phil in writing, you may actually have a case against the DOT.........
ltd_on20s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2012, 06:32 PM   #3
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sad to hear about your crashed taxi. i'd imagine hard to find good low mileage wagons to replace it.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:49 PM   #4
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Time was on your side, the good man from above must of been looking down on you.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:25 PM   #5
Nelsonian
Starter Motor

"Talk about a fluke. I spent Thursday night removing Brembo calipers, brake disc rotors and brake lines. If the stuff was still on the car when it was crashed on Sunday then I'd be in one hell of a fight with the assessor and insurance company about ownership of this stuff."

Either that or the extra braking would have pulled it up in time?
Assuming thats what you put them on for
Nelsonian is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2012, 10:44 PM   #6
ray38l

bloody taxi driver's driving crazy lol
ray38l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2012, 10:56 PM   #7
nstg8a

must have been the only taxi running brembos lol, but sucks to be binned like that.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2012, 11:11 PM   #8
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Bad luck, but I can see why they didn't like brake lines being cable tied to leaf springs, they move.

I have a rule with wiring that you never tie something up to a moving/flexing part.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2012, 11:14 PM   #9
Kryton

If all of the options (wheels etc) were listed on your policy, they now belong to the insurer.
If however, they werent (you didnt tell them), you can take them back and replace them with stock parts.
Id assume that since you spoke to them last year about the mods, they were listed on the policy = not yours now.
And FWIW, i dont think the Brembos would have stopped it in time either.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2012, 11:48 PM   #10
Phildo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent work on the BF Brake information. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Photo Essay - Centre Console Disassembly 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
Sad to hear about your crashed taxi. i'd imagine hard to find good low mileage wagons to replace it.
Gas wagons are always available, but it's getting the right one within a few days that is the issue. There are a few white ones around, but I want another silver one. There are couple in eastern states cities at the moment, so will most likely buy one as soon as I get the payout and have it sent to Perth via car carrier truck.

Management fleets always keep a few spare cars sitting unlicenced in the corner of their yard. I've only got the one taxi, so can't justify keeping a spare car at this stage. Hopefully in a few more years I'll own several taxis and plates, and will then keep a suitable Falcon to use as a personal car (and ready for taxi use standby if/when required).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd_on20s
if you have all that other stuff from phil in writing, you may actually have a case against the DOT.........
Nah, it was verbal advice over the counter. However, lessons have been learned and I'll replace the rear brake lines with shorter ones that don't need to be secured anywhere. Once I've done that, I won't technically require a modification permit, but I'll probably get one anyway to ensure no more dramas at annual inspection time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray38l
bloody taxi driver's driving crazy lol
Nah, my day driver is very, very good. Cruisy 64 year old American guy, instead of the usual Indian/Somalian/Sudanese/etc driver that we have an abundance of in Perth these days. When advertising for a day driver last year I got plenty of calls from such people, but I waited out until I found someone with substantial experience in a) driving taxis and b) driving in a western civilisation driving environment. I wasn't fussed about race or skin colour - I wanted someone who wasn't going to smash my car.

This one was 100% the fault of the other driver. He simply drove right through an intersection with a stop sign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
If all of the options (wheels etc) were listed on your policy, they now belong to the insurer.
If however, they werent (you didnt tell them), you can take them back and replace them with stock parts.
Id assume that since you spoke to them last year about the mods, they were listed on the policy = not yours now.
And FWIW, i dont think the Brembos would have stopped it in time either.
In the conversation with the person at the insurance company last year, it was indicated that the Brembos and other non-standard stuff was not covered by the insurance policy.... unless I paid a substantial amount extra on the policy (ie one third the value of the items). It was agreed that they would not be covered, and that I would have the option with replacing them with the standard parts in the event of a total loss. Turns out that she gave wrong information. She also said that she was going to put a note in the policy that excluded the extra stuff, but apparently has not done so.

And yeah, when someone drives through a stop sign right in front of you, nothing is going to stop the car in time. The main thing that I'm liking about the Brembo setup is that it can handle repeat stops without any brake fade from excessive heat buildup.
Read about it all at Cabloid, the web site that has stories and photos about my life driving a taxi at night.
www.cabloid.com.au
Phildo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2012, 12:03 AM   #11
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

FAIL and FAIL.....

The bimbo calipers and pads are a tax deduction and nothing more.... THey didn't stop you T-Boning someone....

It is not even your fault.. an incident # from the police, a detailed account from your driver and you should be doing nothing else but lodging a claim against them and waiting for demurage........

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post